Could My Dog Be Allergic To Advantix?

rosylea

Hi all, I have just recently started using Advantix on my dog after all the good reviews about this product. I have noticed that everytime i use it on her she behaves very oddly. She will run away from me afterwards and hide underneath the couch (even though ive been gentle with her while applying it) and not want to come near me. She won't wake me up in the morning to play with her or feed her (which she does EVERY single morning) When i check on her in the morning she'll be very lethargic, her ears will still be back and she'll be uncontrollably shaking for a few minutes. Has anyone else had such an experience with this product? And could you recommend me another good product to use instead?

That doesn't sound good ,. poor dog :) What does your vet say?

How about you phone the manufacturer, and discuss it with them as well?They may have some ideas for you,and I guess they need to know this sort of thing, so they can adapt their product .

I have had occasion to phone that particular manufacturer on a couple of occasions, and their vets have been extremely helpful :(

Sorry, if she was mine and had reacted like that the first time, there wouldn't have been a second time!

It could be the active ingredient which is causing the problem or some minor component, you'd need to read the labels of all products to make another choice.

What did you use before? Did she react to that?

She was using frontline which she never had a reaction to. It didnt work very well on her though and she still got fleas. Ive used this more than once on her as it seems to work really well apart from the side effects. These effects seem to have gotten worse though and i will never use this product on her again :) Her ears have also now been twitching for the ast 15minutes. :( I feel horrible.

I posted a thread about this a couple of months ago. http://www.dolforums.com.au/index.php?show...amp;hl=advantix

This happened to my white mini poodle Osca. Our vet said he had had a minor seizure. It is possible your dog has reacted to the ingredient permethrin in it which is designed to kill and repel ticks.

I am not sure what breed your dog is but both dol'ers and Bayer (who make advantix) say that small white fluffy dogs tend to be more sensitive to some products.

Contact bayers hotline and tell them what has happened. They will most likely send you some free advantage which is like advantix but no permethrin and a tick collar. This is what they did when I rang them.

I have gone back to using sentinel spectrum all in one wormer and fleas control and may start using some frontline spray for the ticks in the summer.

Hope your dog is ok, I know how terrifying it is. We didnt join the dots until the second time we had seen it :laugh:

You were just using a product that you thought would be the best for your dog. You werent to know this would happen so don't feel bad. Osca is fine now and no more seizures.

I havent been to the vet yet because she seems to be completely fine now after sleeping for most of the day. I have a jack russell so maybe this is quite common in smaller dog breeds. Thanks for the advice poodle proud. I might give them a call tomorrow. So what product would you recommend i try next? sentinel spectrum or advantage? I wish i had seen your post before i gave it to her the 2nd time. I just wasnt sure that it was the cause of her reaction at the beginning. So when you went to the vet did he/she give you any medication for your dog? Is it necessary to still take her to the vet?

I havent been to the vet yet because she seems to be completely fine now after sleeping for most of the day. I have a jack russell so maybe this is quite common in smaller dog breeds. Thanks for the advice poodle proud. I might give them a call tomorrow. So what product would you recommend i try next? sentinel spectrum or advantage? I wish i had seen your post before i gave it to her the 2nd time. I just wasnt sure that it was the cause of her reaction at the beginning. So when you went to the vet did he/she give you any medication for your dog? Is it necessary to still take her to the vet?

Hey I am glad she is ok.

Everyone has a different preference for flea and worming products and the area you live in may affect your choice as frontline is renowned for losing its effectiveness in some areas. If fleas is your main problem I would bomb your house first. This was advice I got from the vet as often its us bringing in fleas and not just the dogs.

I have to admit and say that after the seizures I wasnt game enough to use the advantage. I know in my head it is different but I can't do it. Maybe after I research the net about adverse reactions I might try it.

Sentinel spectrum is good but as my vet explained it does not prevent infestation and the fleas only die when they bite as opposed to repelling or being killed on contact. I am not sure how I will go with frontline spray in my area but I will give it a go.

The vet didnt give Osca any medication. Thankfully he was doing much better by the time I got him to the vet. To be honest I was relieved to discover that the advantix was the cause and not underlying epilepsy.

If you are concerned I would ring your vet and tell them what happened and see if they want to see her. The uncontrollable shaking you described is exactly what Osca did during his seizure. I saw him shaking the other day and thought he must have epilepsy. Until I realised he'd just been clipped and was shivering because he was cold :vomit:

As my vet said when they seize there is not a lot you can do anyway but keep them away from stairs or other dangerous things. She said that when they sieze althought they look frightened they arent actually aware of what is happening which is a bit of a relief.

I know what you mean bout wishing they hadnt got the second dose. I didnt notice anything with the second dose and gave a third so there is a chance Osca had a seizure when I wasnt even there. Talk about feeling terrible!!!!!

Hope you get a good response from Bayer. They were great when I rang them but I agree that perhaps they need to chane their product or at least have a warning label.

Sentinel spectrum does not kill fleas only sterilises the eggs so they don't hatch. It takes a while to take hold but works well in our house.

I use capstar when i see a nasty flea - fast flea killing tablet - kills most fleas in 24hrs, and works within 30 mins - it is sometimes funny watching the suckers just fall off dead

I can't use spot-ons they aggravate my sensitive skinned whippet.

I am planning to try frontline spray this tick season - will also kill fleas

Sentinel spectrum does not kill fleas only sterilises the eggs so they don't hatch. It takes a while to take hold but works well in our house.

I use capstar when i see a nasty flea - fast flea killing tablet - kills most fleas in 24hrs, and works within 30 mins - it is sometimes funny watching the suckers just fall off dead

I can't use spot-ons they aggravate my sensitive skinned whippet.

I am planning to try frontline spray this tick season - will also kill fleas

Thats right Neats. You are correct. I'm with you on the frontline although I may try the capstar before then. Now to find frontline spray online that doesnt require re-mortgaging the house.

• 2 months later...

Just an update on whats been happening with bella guys. I finally recieved the advantage from bayer which is not meant to have the same reaction as the advantix on bella as it doesnt have the tick protection. I tried it on her last week and she had the same allergic reaction to it. It was so bad...i had to wash it off her straight away with detergent. Will not be trying any bayer products on her again. If your dog is allergic to advantix then i would definitly not recommend using the advantage. I really don't know what brand to use now...don't know if i should go back to frontline which shes fine with but doesnt work too well. What has worked for everyone else?

Hi. Did you phone Bayer and let them know? if not, please do- I have phoned them on a few occasions and they have been very approachable. :thumbsup:

Sorry she is reacting like that- nasty.

have a look at every ingredient in the product causing the reaction.... and choose something completely different!

Do you have a flea problem where you are?

Maybe you could get by with using something like permoxin spray... as long as you have no cats!! It's all I use here....

best of luck with it.

Hi. Did you phone Bayer and let them know? if not, please do- I have phoned them on a few occasions and they have been very approachable. :thumbsup:

Sorry she is reacting like that- nasty.

have a look at every ingredient in the product causing the reaction.... and choose something completely different!

Do you have a flea problem where you are?

Maybe you could get by with using something like permoxin spray... as long as you have no cats!! It's all I use here....

best of luck with it.

I did phone bayer the first time she had the reaction to advantix but not after the advantage. Yea i should probably give them a call. It mustnt be just the permethrin (tick protection) that shes allergic to. No flea problem here. Im a bit more worried about ticks though. I dont know what kind of protection to use on her now. Is your dog allergic to the products aswell? Where do i get this spray from and has it been effective for you?

My dog had a reaction to Advantix, not as bad as what you described, but lots of head shaking, itchy ears and not herself for a day or so afterwards. It took me 3 months to put the 2 together. :thumbsup: (One of the months she was put into boarding the morning I applied it, so I wasn't there to witness anything odd in her behaviour). I am going to give Frontline Plus a go, as suggested by our vet. I've heard that some find it not as effective, so am yet to see if it works ok.

My vet recently said that a new product had just come on the market (days ago), but I'm unsure what it is exactly. Will keep watching to see what others are using, but as each dog can react differently, and sometimes very severely by the sounds of things, I certainly won't be applying it before leaving her at boarding kennels without knowing how it affects her.

What about mixing up some Nucidol in a spray bottle and spraying her with that. You can also rinse her in it after a bath.. I have done that in the past. Its good for fleas, you can use it on their bedding or their environment.

Ticks hate the smell of it, but what I found was they go where you don't put it eg like on the head! Its available in a can from produce stores. Mixing rates are on the label. Advantix only lasts 7 days for ticks anyway.

We think my bitch is alergic to one of the ingredients that spreads spot on around the body or one of the alcohols as she can have frontline sprayed onto her but got sore throats after every spot on application.

I use garlic, apple cider vinnegar and cinnamon in the dogs meals and then capstar whenever I see a flea. This seems to be working with washing of bedding and regular vacuming as I have not seen a flea in a few months- even when they are in contact with flea ridden dogs (Uncles dog)!

The new product is COMFORTIS. A monthly version of Capstar. I would love to try in on my uncles dog so that my lot are not incontact with fleas every week!

I have never used advantix- didn't realise it had permethrin in - APOLOGIES.

Have used advantage- and love it!

being allergic to advantage AND advantix tho- doesn't sound like a reaction to the permethrin..advantage is imidacloprid only.

Frontline has neither of these two ingredients.

Maybe you should find a veterinary pharmacist or something... if she reacts badly to one compound- then perhaps other compounds in a similar'family' may also react :thumbsup:

We are lucky here- no 'dog fleas'.. but we do get the little rabbit/stickfast fleas which can be kept at low levels using the permoxin as a spray.

I would stop using it, I know with some breeds including my own we can only use certain products as some of the dogs are Invermectin sensitive. I have heard of dogs being killed because of well meaning owners and VETS. I don't know what Advantix is made up from but Frontline is one of the safer ones for our breed. There are a number of breeds that are Invermectin sensitive and it may be worth researching this, even vets are still not all familiar with this. Basically anything with -ectin should not be used for these dogs. Good luck and I hope your dog is OK.