Bathing Dogs And Sensitive Skin

I have a 18mth old sheltie who has always had sensitive skin. I am having issues bathing him as he quite literally pulls his hair out after a bath. I have tried aloveen last time so this time I tried aloveen and then white vinegar in the rinse water. I spent ages rinsing him and then made sure every hair on his body was dry but just an hour after his bath he has started scratching. What can I bath him with that doesn’t affect his skin?

Does he have to bathed? i.e. is he a show dog?

If you can not bath and keep the oils there and that is when the dog is comfortable.....

I understand some dogs can get itchy with dirty coats though.

What temperature are you washing in? Different types of skin sensitivities can react to different temperatures.

The White Vinegar should have been ok, you diluted it right?

Are you using a conditioner? Could it be that the skin is drying it out and becoming itchy?

Aloveen, although targeted for dogs with sensitive skin, some dogs are allergic to Oatmeal.

Have you tried a course of Malaseb to see if that may help?

Have you tried putting Alpha Kerry lotion into the coat as a leave on (not sure how you would go with a coated breed with this).

Head and Shoulders can work well on some dogs, the conditioner is pretty damn good too.

Edited by sas

I bath him as infrequently as possible as he has done some serious damage to himself after a bath. I think this is his 4th bath in his life but being a show dog he really does have to be bathed and I can’t use conditioner as it affects his coat. Other than when I bath him he is fine but it takes me about 6 weeks to get him to stop itching.

I diluted the vinegar about 1/20 and I haven’t tried the likes of Malaseb on him as I have found it quite a harsh shampoo. My theory is that the shampoo has changed the ph of his skin and I need to find something with a neutral ph that won’t affect him.

Obviously it is more important that he be comfortable but I would be very disappointed if I couldn’t show him so I am hoping for a solution

I bath him as infrequently as possible as he has done some serious damage to himself after a bath. I think this is his 4th bath in his life but being a show dog he really does have to be bathed and I can't use conditioner as it affects his coat. Other than when I bath him he is fine but it takes me about 6 weeks to get him to stop itching.

I diluted the vinegar about 1/20 and I haven't tried the likes of Malaseb on him as I have found it quite a harsh shampoo. My theory is that the shampoo has changed the ph of his skin and I need to find something with a neutral ph that won't affect him.

Obviously it is more important that he be comfortable but I would be very disappointed if I couldn't show him so I am hoping for a solution

Sounds like you might want to investigate further with a Vet?

6 weeks sounds like a very long time to recover from a bath, is it possible that there are other factors as well?

I always used a 50:50 ratio with the Vinegar myself.

Malaseb is a very harsh shampoo but if you haven't tried that yet I would if your Vet suggests it also as that may be what the dog needs.

You may like to consider booties so the dog can't injure itself?

On a day to day basis how is the skin? Does the dog flinch when you touch it?

Have you tried any of the Rufus & Coco products, their products are developed by a Vet. I find their shampoo pretty good:

Shampoo

http://shop.rufusandcoco.com.au/p-7-itch-relief.aspx

Super Skin & Coat Supplement

http://shop.rufusandcoco.com.au/p-2-super-skin-coat.aspx

I believe Petbarn stocks Rufus and Coco as well now.

I'm all for a natural approach however natural approaches in my opinion should be reserved for when western programs do not work or use the natural as complimentary.

There have also been discussions on this forum about an Evening Primose Oil Shampoo from Groomers Products Australia, if you contact this company they are more than happy to spend time and discuss the product and treatment with you:

http://www.groomersproducts.com.au/groomersproducts.htm

Edited by sas

I would try just using luke warm water without any shampoos, the warm water should remove any debris from the coat.

I had a GSD with terribly sensitive skin and hot spots; every shampoo I tried (most recommended by vet) made it worse :)

He could be allergic to something in the shampoo. Lots of them seem to have plant extracts in them these days, so if he's allergic to one of those plants, it's going to cause a reaction.

I can't wash Orbit in Aloveen because he's allergic to oatmeal. The only things I wash him with these days is Rufus & Coco, or a pet coal tar shampoo. I have also used natural soaps made from goats milk with success too.

Alpha Kerry Oil can help keep the skin moisturised too.

My pug boy is an itchie scratchie yeasty dog. Things have improved alot since feeding all raw but I find that after baths he is really itchie as well. Just like your boy cowanbree. But it does vary in severity throughout the year.

I have to bath him as he starts to stink after more then a week. I use Evening Primrose Oil shampoo. And then if he is to itchie I will give him an antihistamine. If things get to bad he gets one prednil tablet.