Litters Due: October 2009

jerojath

• Replies 455
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Congrats Baylord!

Looks like the rest of the October babies are hanging on! Just noticed my due date on the first page is wrong - my girl is due on the 24th (tomorrow) from the 1st mating, 28th from the last mating.

She has been puffy and panty on and off for days. No nesting, yet very picky with her food for days. Temp not down and relaxed otherwise ..... Race you to the October puppy finish line Ellz!! :laugh:

Date corrected :)

:laugh: .... i should have joined the November thread the way we are going! No signs of doing anything here except a 0.4 degree temp drop! No nesting, no panting, pacing, cleaning nipples (she did this incessantly last time!!). Maybe she is more relaxed second time around. ;)

:laugh: .... i should have joined the November thread the way we are going! No signs of doing anything here except a 0.4 degree temp drop! No nesting, no panting, pacing, cleaning nipples (she did this incessantly last time!!). Maybe she is more relaxed second time around. ;)

Now don't be fooled! I'd be more relyant on the drop in temp than her behaviour!

I swear sometimes they just try to keep us on our toes.

I will be glued to this thread now, awaiting news of lil Whippet babies... :welcome:

Hey Jerojath

I have to admit, ive never paid much attention to temp drops before, i didnt think they were much of an accurate sign? Only because with previous litters, i have never noticed a significant drop in temp before they whelp. What do you think? How long after the drop do they usually whelp and how much does the temp drop by?

Hey Jerojath

I have to admit, ive never paid much attention to temp drops before, i didnt think they were much of an accurate sign? Only because with previous litters, i have never noticed a significant drop in temp before they whelp. What do you think? How long after the drop do they usually whelp and how much does the temp drop by?

All the girls are different and all breeders have different opinions, but I find it an invaluable warning that things are about to happen.

With each of my litters, I had pups within 12 hours of a reasonable drop in temperature. It could have been longer as I can't remember how frequently I checked temps. Certainly check a couple of times a day when nearing their due dates.

If your girls anything like mine, I'd expect some action over night or in the morning.

Then again, she could well make a right liar out of me now! :laugh:

Good luck anyhow...

Whipitgood - just saw your other question.

Most consider a 1 degree drop in temp suggests whelping will begin within 24 hours.

Personally (again just my experiences!) I expect whelping sooner, from what can be a minimal drop in temperature.

Edited by jerojath

It's not a gradual drop you are looking for. It is a rapid drop and it doesn't always stay down. Many/most people actually miss it and then say it didn't happen. Others actually catch it on the way back up but don't realise it.

That's why it's always best to start taking the temp a week or so in advance and at roughly the same times so that you can work out an average chart for you bitch so that the OBVIOUS differences are the ones you pinpoint.

That said, I'm still waiting as well, the only obvious change to temp so far is a drop to 37.2 which is the lowest I have seen in her yet. The temp the previous night was only 37.7. But what is surprising about that is that it was at 5.00am yesterday and her usual baseline morning temp is around 38.4. And it immediately jumped up to 38.9.

But still nothing, just a bit of nesting and lots of peeing and not wanting to let me out of her sight.

Aaah Rascal - gorgeous babies. Love the black puglets! :(

Good luck Ellz, wishing you happy and easy birthing!

My girl has passed her mucous plug this morning, very quiet, puffing a lot. Baseline temp every night has been 38.1. It went down to 37.8 last night then 37.7 this morning. My guess is she will carry on through first stage labour all day then start tonight, like she did last time! :thumbsup:

Vanni has had a mucuous discharge for most of the pregnancy so I doubt she'll have a definite plug to pass. She's been scratching and carrying on for ages, I was awake for a good part of the night listening to her last night. I think I made a post here at 3.30am or some other undoGly hour. :thumbsup:

I'm not too worried about her at this stage. She's not showing any signs of definite "hard" labour so I'll start worrying on Tuesday if she hasn't shown any signs by then.

I'm just impatient. I didn't really "want" the litter at first (it was unplanned) but now it is on the horizon, I can't wait to meet the new bubbas.

And of course, the sooner they are out, the older they'll be when my Stafford bitch whelps in November.

Well peeps.......if Vanni has read the textbooks, we may have some action starting!

Temp just now was 37, down from 38.4 at 7.00am. Mucuous discharge is now more like mucuous "globs" when she gets up from where she has been sitting. She has just happily gone back into the Puppy Palace and is laying quietly AND she has just knocked back a piece of roast lamb.

:thumbsup: