Walking An Amstaff

Oscar (AmBull)

the only thing i have done to stop pulling was every time she pulled i would quickly turn in the opposite direction,

after a few time they get the idea, and when you turn direction use a command like " NO PULLING" but make sure you keep walking in the direction that you turned for about 20 meters, then repeat until he learns.

where's the reward ?

i only ever rewarded when she walked without pulling on about two walks,

i not going to reward every time, no need

Right so while your marching backwards and forwards doing about turns, are there any rewards during this time ? How does the dog know when it is in the "right" position and is pleasing you ?

the only thing i have done to stop pulling was every time she pulled i would quickly turn in the opposite direction,

after a few time they get the idea, and when you turn direction use a command like " NO PULLING" but make sure you keep walking in the direction that you turned for about 20 meters, then repeat until he learns.

where's the reward ?

Right so while your marching backwards and forwards doing about turns, are there any rewards during this time ? How does the dog know when it is in the "right" position and is pleasing you ?

well the dog usually pulls becasue it want to go go go, so if i turn in the opposite direction every time she pulls she inset getting were she wants to go, the reward is she gets to walk, very simple.

Google it

Edited by APBT

I agree with the others that you need a new trainer :D

The other thing that you could do is to work on teaching your dog to pay more attention to you. You can do this through games, clicker training etc. Even just clicking and treating your dog every time he looks at you or saying his name and imediately rewarding him can make the world of difference. It will teach him that good things come from you and he is more likely to snap to attention when you say his name.

Another good game to play is to take your dog into a large enclosed area (or put him on a long line) and let him sniff around doing his own thing. Every time he comes to you praise and treat him then release him back to do as he pleases. You can also run away from him suddenly and then reward him when he catches up to you. Sounds odd but dogs seem to enjoy this game and catch on quickly. It does take a lot of time and patience but you will get there eventually.

The book 'So your dog's not Lassie' has some really good tips for training difficult dogs. It's available from Angus and Robertson for around $25 :D

eta link: http://www.angusrobertson.com.au/search/Fisher+delzio/

Edited by SecretKei

where's the reward ?

http://www.pitbullforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2340

read that for a better understanding

No thanks, I don't subscibe to the it's a bull breed, lets whack a prong collar on it or "give it to him hard" school of training.

the prong collar dose not need to be used, stop being so ignorant and think for yourself.

highly recommend Mark Singer
I would recommend you contact Steve from K9 Force (as poodlefan mentioned) and do a Long distance Module on Loose Leash Walking with him.

why do long distance when hands on and practical training is available?

I think your trainer is not the right one for you and your dog. Contact Mark.

Yep agree completely. Steve from K9 force is a great trainer but why do a distance course when there is someone equally good available to you that can show you practically (best way for me to learn personally) what might work? :thumbsup:

4. Reward your dog for being "in the zone". You have to choose where you want your dog to walk. My criteria is simply a loose leash, I don't care where the dog is. When the leash is loose, I talk to the dog, praise the dog, give the dog food treats. If the leash gets tight, I stop and give no eye contact or praise.

Too many people whacking on prong collars, "really giving it to them" with check chains and handing out the discipline. Not enough people praising their dogs and rewarding them, when they actually get it right.

I take the opportunity to tell my dogs they are good and to praise them when we are out walking. It strengthens the bonds between us and it's lovely to see them bright eyed and wagging their tails, when you tell them they are good dogs, or drop the hand down for a quick rub under the chin.

highly recommend Mark Singer
I would recommend you contact Steve from K9 Force (as poodlefan mentioned) and do a Long distance Module on Loose Leash Walking with him.

why do long distance when hands on and practical training is available?

I think your trainer is not the right one for you and your dog. Contact Mark.

Yep agree completely. Steve from K9 force is a great trainer but why do a distance course when there is someone equally good available to you that can show you practically (best way for me to learn personally) what might work? :thumbsup:

No reason other than Steve is the only one that I can recommend, and OP was asking for advice. And secondly that not many people would be prepared to travel a great distance to learn something that is so simple when it can be learned equally as easily via correspondence.

I am not saying that hands on face to face training is not better. I would personally prefer that also. I was simply forwarding the trainer that I would recommend from my own experience.

I got caught up writing my original post, and by the time I loaded it, many others had responded. So, perhaps it looks to some as though I might be saying my idea is better, when what I am actually saying is that this is what I would do if I was in OPs situation, with the knowlege and experience I have.

At no time am I or was I trying to be argumentative. Just offering my opinion.

Many of you are giving Mark singer a good rap, and I have no doubt that it is well justified... just that I cannot comment as I have not used him before.

:wave:

Edited by dyzney