Long Coated Dog And Grass And Prickles

Veanna

Hi everyone :laugh:

I have a 6 month old Havanese and was wondering if there were any tips or tricks for preventing grass, prickles, twigs etc. from getting stuck in her coat when she is playing outside. We have a large backyard and Onyx loves to charge around and play, the problem is she brings half the yard into the house when she comes back inside. I don't mind the mess inside but it is tedious for both of us, and uncomfortable for Onyx, to get it all out of her coat. I try and keep our lawn as short as possible but it doesn't seem to help much.

Is this just something that as a long coated dog owner I have to put up with or is there something I can do to help prevent the stuff being picked up in the first place?

I have heard about specially designed coats that are for this purpose but can't remember where I heard it from.

Thanks in advance :laugh:

I've just spent ages combing her over after her latest romp :laugh:

I was just thinking if one of those light shirt type coats you can get would help, for mostly her belly. But do worry if something like this being worn for a prolonged amount of time would damage her coat?

It's been a long time since I have had a long coated dog :laugh:

I wouldnt think the coat would hurt her for a short time... i find with the burs sometimes hair has to come out with em too cos they get soo twisted int he hair.. horrible things they are...Mine are just so long to the ground it sometimes sucks to be them :laugh:

I do a lot of bushwalking with my shelties and can end up with half the forest floor caught up in hocks, pants and tail.

I put baby oil on my hands and run it through their coats - mainly on the tips and in the areas where seeds are most likely to stick. This not only reduces the amount of seeds they get in their coat, but also makes it easier to pull the seeds and burrs out.

For keeping fur in check I put on a baby onese (on my dogs that is) - light weight cotton all-in-one overalls that button up the front (so you can leave the crotch open for toileting. I use them for bushwalking in winter so they dont end up covered in mud. I brought some white ones and striped ones but dyed them brown so they better matched the colour of my dogs (and the mud). They are about $6-10 at childwear shops or you can get the trendy bonds ones for about $20. I got the idea from dog owners in the colder parts of the US.

V -

I saw this post and thought yay exactly what I wanted to know then realise you posted it :) My boy must be like his Sister onyx - hubby has walked tobes the last few days and toby has had burrs too. BRATS i tell ya :eek: It takes ages and our little ones arent in full coat or coat change yet.

Bec

I'm so glad I saw this thread! I would never have thought of a onesie but that is a fantastic idea - I'm going to try it this year with my two.

I too have trouble with grass seeds in the yard. We have spent years trying very hard to get rid of that kind of grass from the garden - got a big shock when we moved to this house and started having this problem - we had no grass at all in our previous garden so no grass seeds and no problems.

My bichon got very sick when a grass seed got deep into his ear in our first year here. I'm paranoid about it now.

Off to buy a onesie to fit him - I wonder if they'll let me bring him along for a fitting!? :)

Great - ear coverage as well as body coverage!

Looks like it could get a bit hot in there? My grass seed problem rears its ugly head in the summer months, so that might be a problem in our situation.

Depends what they are made from. I have some made from cotton blend fabric, some in t-shirt fabric and some in lycra. I live in one of Tasmania's worst drought areas and heat, grass seeds and weeds are a major issue here (my dogs run my paddocks - I like them fit!).

Thank you everyone for the great advice :)

Ellz, that is what I was worried about, but she doesn't stay outside long, usually only 15 -20 minutes...then wants to come in and have a snooze :laugh:

AS, the brat gene is strong in our babies :laugh:

I didn't even think of a baby jumpsuit, I think we have a few around stored somewhere, they are a great idea.

I found a loose dog shirt last night and let her out in it and it did the trick. It was very light so didn't restrict her movement or over heat her. She was easy to see wearing hot pink as well :o:laugh: I'm going to get her a baby jumpsuit as well.

Thanks again everyone! :cry:

Hubby took the brat for a walk this arvo came back and 19 burrs later :o I had found a site that sells body suits will see if I can find it V.

The lil brat wears a pink hairband, do you think if I made him wear a baby suit to obedience he'd get even more teased??? He's the only coated fluffy there and the only other with a topknot is an OESD???? Poor toby I have been seen there to clean him up a bit with a baby wipe too :thumbsup: Might see if I can find something tougher looking lol

Hubby took the brat for a walk this arvo came back and 19 burrs later :cry: I had found a site that sells body suits will see if I can find it V.

The lil brat wears a pink hairband, do you think if I made him wear a baby suit to obedience he'd get even more teased??? He's the only coated fluffy there and the only other with a topknot is an OESD???? Poor toby I have been seen there to clean him up a bit with a baby wipe too ;) Might see if I can find something tougher looking lol

Oh poor Toby! All the other dogs will be snickering at him. At least Onyx being a girl can get away with her hot pink "snuggle bunny" shirt she is wearing outside at the moment. Still incredibly shameful :cry: :cry:

I'm just about to go and check out the lovemyfurbabies site.

Thank you everyone :cry: