Cerf

Rebanne

I did a search but didn't find anything useful, maybe I wasn't putting in the right words or something :)

anyway can people please tell me a bit more about eye tests, namely CERF? I think it a yearly test that certifies your dog is free of certain eye disease? Is that right? Who can do the test, where and approx cost would be handy too please.

I did a search but didn't find anything useful, maybe I wasn't putting in the right words or something :)

anyway can people please tell me a bit more about eye tests, namely CERF? I think it a yearly test that certifies your dog is free of certain eye disease? Is that right? Who can do the test, where and approx cost would be handy too please.

As far as I know CERF is an American scheme and there are a few Australian canine ophthalmologists certified as 'ambassadors' for the program who can do certifications here. I don't know of a comparable Australian based scheme. Hopefully someone who does know will be along soon, not being a breeder I have never used it myself.

Edited by Diva

CERF is the Canine Eye Registration Foundation in the USA. Link here.

Only A.C.V.O. Diplomates are able to issue the necessary paperwork for CERF registration.

I think the ultimate aim of the Australian ACES scheme was to have a comparable type of organisation but I don't think much progress has been made in this regard.

Get them checked and certified by a Veterinary Opthalmologist. I don't know what hereditary defects are applicable to Greys but for American Cockers we have yearly checks for Cataracts, PRA, Distichiasis etc and also have tests for glaucoma. There are a couple of good Opthalmologists in Victoria. Robin Stanley is one of them. There are quite often eye clinics held by various breed clubs or you can see them privately.

When you go for eye certification (through ACES or not) they check for ALL kinds of problems, from the eye lids to the iris to the cornea.

So if they are asking for "CERF" then you are looking for eye certification from a canine opthamologist. :laugh:

You might find 99% of the ones you contact are under the ACES scheme, and that can vary in price greatly.

When you go for eye certification (through ACES or not) they check for ALL kinds of problems, from the eye lids to the iris to the cornea.

So if they are asking for "CERF" then you are looking for eye certification from a canine opthamologist. :laugh:

You might find 99% of the ones you contact are under the ACES scheme, and that can vary in price greatly.

thank you :laugh:

will now do a search on the ACES scheme

Get them checked and certified by a Veterinary Opthalmologist. I don't know what hereditary defects are applicable to Greys but for American Cockers we have yearly checks for Cataracts, PRA, Distichiasis etc and also have tests for glaucoma. There are a couple of good Opthalmologists in Victoria. Robin Stanley is one of them. There are quite often eye clinics held by various breed clubs or you can see them privately.

Honestly Ellz, you can start on Monday if you want!!! :shrug:

ACES is the Australian equivalent of CERF; a structured and detailed eye exam with a certificate issued.

We do not regularly see Greyhounds for ACES certification, so I am not sure off the top of my head what "Schedule" they are on (ie. what ophthalmic diseases have been proven or are suspected to be hereditary in that breed).

I will check tomorrow and let you know.

ACES certification costs $55 and takes about 20 minutes.

ETA: www.animaleyecare.com.au/aec/eyescheme.html

Edited by Elfin

Honestly Ellz, you can start on Monday if you want!!! :)

:D It's funny now, every time I answer a post about eyes, I find myself thinking "will Elfin approve?" :shrug:

Always, Ellz, always....

Now, you start on Monday. You do the 10 til 6 shift with me. It shall be fun. :)

ACES is the Australian equivalent of CERF; a structured and detailed eye exam with a certificate issued.

We do not regularly see Greyhounds for ACES certification, so I am not sure off the top of my head what "Schedule" they are on (ie. what ophthalmic diseases have been proven or are suspected to be hereditary in that breed).

I will check tomorrow and let you know.

ACES certification costs $55 and takes about 20 minutes.

ETA: www.animaleyecare.com.au/aec/eyescheme.html

That would be greyt, yes very few greyhounds here in Aus would have had any eye tests. I have been told they are not needed but for the price why not?

Can you also help me out with who does this certificate?

ACES is an AVA/ANKC Scheme

My local ACES vet charges $75, so be prepared for it to cost more than the $55 quoted by Elfin.

The VCA lists a document related to ACES on their website:

http://www.dogsvictoria.org.au/assets/aces...eady-jan-08.doc

It has a list of vets in Vic that participate in the scheme. It also lets you know what to take with you to the exam.

Animal Eye Care is the cheapest i know of. Andrew Turner is almost double the cost.

And from what friends in NSW have told me the prices up there are even higher :laugh:

We always get our dogs done with Robin Stanley, however have used Andrew in the past and he is excellent as well!

Greys are not listed on either Schedule here in Australia.

I am unsure if they are on a Schedule in the US. I had a look in an American text book that is the "Bible" of hereditary ocular disease, and was not very helpful. I can photocopy the pages on Greys and post them to you...

An ACES certificate will still provide a written confirmation that the dog is free of ocular disease, hereditary or otherwise.

If you have anymore questions, you can call me at work tomorrow.

I will PM you the phone number. :(