Bloodhound

Troy

:mad:):(

I didn't realise they were so big though, just always thought they were "a next size up" from beagles for some strange reason :(

they truly are outstanding dogs though.

Although not my own unfortunately, (although my lineage are behind them), I am sure their owners don't mind me posting this photo (we are very close friends).

This is a photo to compare size of Oscar & his baby daughter Dinky.

post-22391-1254377010_thumb.jpg

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:laugh::thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I didn't realise they were so big though, just always thought they were "a next size up" from beagles for some strange reason :o

Although not my own unfortunately, (although my lineage are behind them), I am sure their owners don't mind me posting this photo (we are very close friends).

Sigh - I want :eek:

ETA: Question for BAYLORD where would be the best place to meet some Bloodhounds in the flesh in WA and maybe see them in action (show or working) :)

Edited by maya papaya

I love this breed! Sadly this week a beautiful older Bloodhound boy was put to sleep in Albury Pound as we were unable to sort anything out for him. He had had a name down to purchase him until the last minute and when they pulled out we were left with insufficient time to help him :laugh:

From the little time I spent with "Reg" (and having NO knowledge of his history) I have to say that he was incredibly strong on the lead when he first came out of the pound. I'm not a little flower and he pulled me to where he wanted to go very easily if I didn't have my feet set. He was also very uninterested in people he hadn't met before. Because I attend the pound more often he knew me a little so when I sat down he immediately came up and gently snuffed my face and licked me. He adored my daughter instantly.

Is that typical behaviour for a bloodhound?

triseven-i just got word tonight that i had someone who would have taken him,he has had hounds.if you get any down that way he will look at them,and once the pups have been vaccinated,i can take the odd one.

Yes,they love kids,all of mine do and i encourage the youngest one to run around the yard,pups full bore after him-it makes them very easy to train them for man trailing!

3 pups at 9.30 tonight-going to be a long night.

I love this breed! Sadly this week a beautiful older Bloodhound boy was put to sleep in Albury Pound as we were unable to sort anything out for him. He had had a name down to purchase him until the last minute and when they pulled out we were left with insufficient time to help him :p

From the little time I spent with "Reg" (and having NO knowledge of his history) I have to say that he was incredibly strong on the lead when he first came out of the pound. I'm not a little flower and he pulled me to where he wanted to go very easily if I didn't have my feet set. He was also very uninterested in people he hadn't met before. Because I attend the pound more often he knew me a little so when I sat down he immediately came up and gently snuffed my face and licked me. He adored my daughter instantly.

Is that typical behaviour for a bloodhound?

If a Bloodhound's nose is down in scent then nothing else exists ...

Yes, they should be affectionate, even towards strangers. however, some can be more aloof.

Good "watch dogs"...meaning will tell you if someone is around by baying but generally would welcome 'Jack the Ripper' just for a pat.

All just too sad for Reg... please PM any of us on this thread if you hear of anymore of the breed needing rescue, as we shall endevour to help if we can.

I'll confess to being absolutely fascinated by this breed. :laugh:

But I don't think I would offer the right home to one. :rofl:

I'm the same actually. they look so stunning but I don't think I would be the right home either.

The babies are beautiful Centitout (and I've just realised what your name says having misspelt it and having to add a "t" to it - I can be thick at times :rofl::laugh: cool name ) ! Congratulations, sorry about the little lost one.

Guest Baylord
:):mad:laugh:

I didn't realise they were so big though, just always thought they were "a next size up" from beagles for some strange reason :laugh:

Sigh - I want :laugh:

ETA: Question for BAYLORD where would be the best place to meet some Bloodhounds in the flesh in WA and maybe see them in action (show or working) :hug:

Guest Baylord

ETA: Question for BAYLORD where would be the best place to meet some Bloodhounds in the flesh in WA and maybe see them in action (show or working) :)

Well you missed us at the Royal yesterday. But, if ever you are in the Perth hills area you are more than welcome to come and visit my 6.

Just ring 95726035 to make a time and get directions.

You wont see any hounds working in Perth anymore as we have given up try to persuade the authorities to use them.

We held the first and only, one week long Man Trailing Seminar back in 98 where we had people from all over Australia come and stay. We had invited Police/SES/Prisons and only 2 ladies from the SES, without their dogs attended .

When they did bring ther dogs on 1 day, they still could not do what we were able to do with our 8 month old pups!

The police here wont put dogs on a trail that are older than 4 hours, and they say that the bloodhound is not multi functional. When pointed out that they could be utilised, apart from SAR, in helping to build up a case, by having scent collected and correctly stored and then using the hound to either to positively/negativiely indicate as to whether that person was there, or not. If this had been done in the case of Andrew Mallard the state may have been saved in having to pay him $7000000 for being wrongfully convicted. The police have written back with it will not happen as legislation would have to be changed and that just wont happen.

I might add, that in the past we have offered working hounds, for the Claremont serial murders, and the missing boy from Rockingham, who was later found murdered, and we have even offered free pick of litters, but they have declined every time.

What is more annoying is that when the police are involved with a SAR they will only allow the SES to come in.

We had a fantastic trailer in the SES years ago, who showed up their dogs continually, he was doing car trails (following people in cars) which they could not acheive,but because you have to train them differently, as they are trailers, not trackers, they just could not accept the conception, and then his biggest problem was he was too fast for them.

They deliberately set him up to fail and be accepted, by putting the oldest, slowest woman on as a back up runner which is a requirement. She could not even last 50 m!

And now the SES have bought in guidelines from NZ where before any dog can trail/track they must accomplish a whole heap of obedience tests, and with most of them off lead! Our dogs must be on a long line at all time!, if you start dicking around with obedience and the likes you take away their ability to think for themselves and work.

There has only been 1 time one of our guys has been utilised and that was when a friend of my mate, Michelle, who has 1 of my guys being Byron, was asked to go and maybe find their very depressed son, as they were concerned that he was going to do something silly to himself. Michelle set Byron on trail, (starting from where he had taken off in his car) in the night, in the middle of suburbia, and trailed him for 5 ks. Byron found him, and his parents were advised of his location.

It is so frustrating for us in knowing what this breed can do, and yet we are not allowed in, or accepted.

Even more so when we have at the moment that Midvale man with dementia who has been wandering around lost for days without being found.

If only----

We used to have trailing days here, but what with all the above, people gave up hope of ever being utilised.

And doing competition for trailing here is non existent as we would only be able to use qualified judges for mantrailing as done in the American Bloodhound Club (which I am a member of). And these judges live in the USA.

Even more so when we have at the moment that Midvale man with dementia who has been wandering around lost for days without being found.

Wow. Thank you for the detailed reply. I had often wondered why Bloodhounds are not used by SES / Police given their success in this area in other countries. The situation you mentioned above had bought this query once again into my mind. It does seem odd that the Police / SES would not invest in this area. Given the police have expanded the dog squad from being only GSD General Purpose dogs to also include Malinois for GP and Labs for PAD (drugs) - perhaps they will come around eventually - especially for missing persons.

I have had a good read of your website - very informative :mad

I will take you up on your offer of a visit one day once we move house. I see you have a litter soon, so will leave it to well after that. Good luck with the new bubs and I'll be sure to be in touch in the new year :)

post-7731-1254809573_thumb.jpg

13 puppies for Centitout Little Things last night.

Congratulations centitout :(

Do Bloodhounds always have big litters - or are you just lucky :laugh: ?????

I think i'm just lucky,although the other bitch only had 9(3 of which were stuck behind the big one and passed on).I have worked around TB horses for a long time,and was the dry sow manager in an intensive piggery,so do have a fair amount of knowledge with hormones/cycles and reproduction. ;)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

are there any breeders who work their dogs in trailing tracking in a hunt constantly... i wouldnt mind getting one later in 2 or 3 years. would like one from working parents, because i think if they arent worked generation after generation then they might lose that great nose.