Rip Daddy Wood Duck

benny123

You were a wonderful, brave, caring father and partner. You saw off every intruder that entered your domain, including us and protected your family. You didn't deserve to die :noidea:

A family of wood ducks moved into our yard and pool last Wednesday; mum, dad and five babies. They were doing really well and loving the safety of our yard. The parents had started taking turns at leaving and feeding elsewhere for a short while then coming back.

Today the father duck went off and left mum with the kids. While he was gone she took them next door to feed on their garden. He came back and couldn't find them so he went out to the street to look for them - some b*stard in a car ran him down :cry:, we found his little body on the road when we checked the letterbox.

Mummy duck has since returned with the babies and can't understand why he's not there. She's waiting with the duckings in the same spot that she last saw him - it's so sad. Wood Ducks mate for life :cry: . I don't know if the family will survive without him and I feel completely helpless and very sad.

This is the little family before the devistation

003resized-2.jpg

It really is so sad, she has no idea why she's been abandoned. Perhaps we should bring his body in so she can see it and understand. It worries me that she hasn't moved from the spot where she was last with him.

I can't stop crying - a pox on the mongrel that ran him down :confused:

How very , very sad.

I can remember many yrs ago when i saw this commotion on the side of the road

I thought this duck was trying to kill another duck in a puddle of water.

Another driver stopped and we then realised this duck was trying to get its mate

{that must of been clipped by a car} out of the puddle as it was going to drown.

We got it out and then it shook its self and the whole troup went on its merry way .