Sick Puppy

MsBex

*RE-POSTING IN THIS FORUM AS NOT HAVING MUCH LUCK IN THE HEALTH SECTION :thumbsup:*

Hi guys, Just wondering if anyone has experienced this and whether i'm over-reacting?

I have a 13wk old Cocker Spaniel, who has basically had what I (as an amateur) would call dog-flu! He's had a snotty nose, which is all crusty from dried snot, and this has been accompanied by a cough (usually only in the evenings). When I went to visit him about 2 weeks before taking him home, one of the adult dogs in the kennel had a cough, and the breeder mentioned in passing whether he might have kennel cough. I mentioned this to the vet and he said he doubted that's what Cory had. Also he didn't have any cough symptoms for about a week after he got home.

I took him to the vet about 8 days ago, and he's been on antibiotics and also cough medicine. Sometimes I think he's getting over it, and then today I had to wipe the snot away from his nose when I woke up as it had crusted over one nostril and he was having difficulty breathing through it. Particularly in the evenings it seems to get worse, and I often wipe his nose with a tissue as he wipes it all over the carpet otherwise. He has 2 days worth of antibiotics to go.

I'm also wondering if its because of his vaccinations as it seemed really quick to me. He's basically had them at 8wks, 10wks and 12wks (Protech C3). The vet said it was a new one and could be done every 2 weeks, and although from my readings I knew it was fast, I thought "Who am I to argue with the professional?".

Is this all normal for a puppy or should I be taking him to a different vet?

Thanks for your responses.

Sounds like your pup has KC. Get a new vet they are the amatures.

KC?? What's that ... Oh! Kennel Cough?? I was hoping that wasn't the case :thumbsup: Will take him down tomorrow to Animal Welfare League Vet, I've heard they're pretty good.

For puppies secondary infections due to KC I would think could be deadly.

Please isolate your pup for at least two weeks to stop him spreading it to other dogs. If you take him to another vets do so in a crate or carry him and don't let him say hello to other dogs.

There probably isn't much else another vet can do other then give him some more antibiotics and check him over. KC usually takes at least two weeks to ride out.

Didn't the breeder have the pups in a seperate area to the other dogs?

I'm not sure what her housing situation was with her puppies. Whenever I visited she always had the puppies inside with her, and the adult dogs outside in a side enclosure.

Pretty disappointed in both the vet and the breeder atm, but my fault also for not asking more questions and following my gut instinct.

Appreciate your quick responses.

So if I'm reading this right, your baby has his last vacc a week ago ?

What did he have for 12 weeks ? Did he have the nasal KC vacc at all ? It doesn't sound like he had C5 ??

Reason I ask is that our fella had a similar infection after his last vacc - snotty nose, snorty cough and very runny eyes. I got some creme from the vet for runny eyes (he said it was conjunctivitis) which didn't seem to help - plus the cough didn't go away after about a week, so I took him back, got anti biotics which cleared things up. Doesn't sound like your ABs have done the trick yet - but finish them for sure.

Vet maintained it wasn't vacc-related but I still wonder.

I would take him back to your vet.

edited to add the thread I posted at the time

http://www.dolforums.com.au/index.php?show...=172418&hl=

Edited by mrs tornsocks

So if I'm reading this right, your baby has his last vacc a week ago ?

What did he have for 12 weeks ? Did he have the nasal KC vacc at all ? It doesn't sound like he had C5 ??

Reason I ask is that our fella had a similar infection after his last vacc - snotty nose, snorty cough and very runny eyes. I got some creme from the vet for runny eyes (he said it was conjunctivitis) which didn't seem to help - plus the cough didn't go away after about a week, so I took him back, got anti biotics which cleared things up. Doesn't sound like your ABs have done the trick yet - but finish them for sure.

Vet maintained it wasn't vacc-related but I still wonder.

I would take him back to your vet.

edited to add the thread I posted at the time

http://www.dolforums.com.au/index.php?show...=172418&hl=

Yes, he had his last vaccination a week ago, which is when I also took him in about the cough and runny nose, and started the antibiotics at the same time. Will finish them off, but still take him to another vet tomorrow. The stickers for his first two vaccs say C3, but didn't get the sticker for the last shot as I forgot to take the booklet in.

He's still got energy but does get tired, which I put down to being a puppy. I think will keep him nice and quiet for the next week and get another lot of antibiotics. My vet said the same thing as yours, that it was vacc-related, but I've had my doubts.

Yes, he had his last vaccination a week ago, which is when I also took him in about the cough and runny nose, and started the antibiotics at the same time. Will finish them off, but still take him to another vet tomorrow. The stickers for his first two vaccs say C3, but didn't get the sticker for the last shot as I forgot to take the booklet in.

He's still got energy but does get tired, which I put down to being a puppy. I think will keep him nice and quiet for the next week and get another lot of antibiotics. My vet said the same thing as yours, that it was vacc-related, but I've had my doubts.

Actually my vet said it WASN'T vacc related but I think it was. But it doesn't sound like your pup had the KC nasal spray anyway on the last vacc ?

When you go back to the vet, check all your vaccs and exactly what he was given. I must admit, I didn't even think to ask until the third when I questioned whether KC was included. It generally isn't as far as I know but the vet offered it once I questioned the full details of the vacc and we took the KC (nasal).

Good luck with it, I'm sure he will be fine. If you don't get a satisfactory answer from your regular vet tomorrow, I would take him elswhere after that.

Edited by mrs tornsocks

So, am I reading this right, your vet vaccinated a 12 week old puppy that presented with a cough and a runny nose?? :(

Yep, I am with others, I would be getting a new vet.

Hope your puppy is fine. Usually these things (although secondary infections to KC can be very nasty) are OK provided you are vigilent and keep on top of it and puppy is reasonably healthy in all other respects. Sounds like you are doing all the right things now.

Best of luck with your baby. :)

So, am I reading this right, your vet vaccinated a 12 week old puppy that presented with a cough and a runny nose?? :(

x2 :)

Get a new vet for sure. Unwell dogs should never be vaccinated! Sounds like kennel cough to me. Nope, not generally an issue except with very young puppies but as puggy puggy said, secondary infections can be fatal, especially with puppies.

Good luck.

x2 :)

Get a new vet for sure. Unwell dogs should never be vaccinated! Sounds like kennel cough to me. Nope, not generally an issue except with very young puppies but as puggy puggy said, secondary infections can be fatal, especially with puppies.

Good luck.

Thanks guys ... I'm sure he'll be fine ... touch wood. Will pamper him a lot more and get him to a new vet tomorrow!

Is really annoying, cause as the first time owner of a puppy, I rely on my vet, who I assume is knowledgeable and should know these things about puppies that I don't. It's why you pay them big bucks after all?!?!

Am really glad that I also have DoL as a guiding stick so to speak :)

Dose him up on Active Manuka Honey (UMF 20+). From your health food store. Supermarkets only sell the low UMF stuff .... not going to help a great deal.

Canine Cough in itself isn't such a worry. It's the potential for secondary infection (ie pneumonia) that is the concern. There's naught much a Vet can do/give for a viral infection (although they often do dish out antibiotics, which won't do anything to affect the virus) but if there are any signs or concerns of a secondary infection, then take him back to the Vet. Perhaps a different one. I agree that the one you saw should have known better than to have vaccinated an unwell puppy.

Edited by Erny