Sick Dog

kiesha09

I have been known to over react when it comes to the health of my dogs (well I don't think so everyone else thinks so) so I thought I would ask your oppinions.

My 2 year old dog started vomitting on Saturday night. I was out that night and only realised when I got home and then this continued on throughout Sunday. She appeared to stop vomitting on Sunday night but developed diahrrea. I thought I would see how she was on Monday and if she was still unwell I'd take her to the vet.

Got home from work on Monday and there was more vomit and she had been eating a lot of grass so took her straight to the vet. They couldn't find anything obviously wrong so gave her an anti vomiting injection and I took her home. They said if she was still vomitting in the morning take her back. She was very fatigued, listless and refuses to eat or drink but she stopped vomiting after the injection.

This morning (Tuesday) she was much the same so rang the vet who said to wait it out a bit longer because she is probably still feeling sick. I went home at lunch time and she is still fatigued and listless but still hasn't vomitted and ate a very small amount of food and had a tiny drink of water. But her gums are very pale (paler than yesterday) and she just isn't herself. Normally she launches herself at me when I get home and has all the energy in the world but at the moment barely gets off the bed to say hello.

Would you take your dog back to the vet or would you wait it out longer?

I have been known to over react when it comes to the health of my dogs (well I don't think so everyone else thinks so) so I thought I would ask your oppinions.

My 2 year old dog started vomitting on Saturday night. I was out that night and only realised when I got home and then this continued on throughout Sunday. She appeared to stop vomitting on Sunday night but developed diahrrea. I thought I would see how she was on Monday and if she was still unwell I'd take her to the vet.

Got home from work on Monday and there was more vomit and she had been eating a lot of grass so took her straight to the vet. They couldn't find anything obviously wrong so gave her an anti vomiting injection and I took her home. They said if she was still vomitting in the morning take her back. She was very fatigued, listless and refuses to eat or drink but she stopped vomiting after the injection.

This morning (Tuesday) she was much the same so rang the vet who said to wait it out a bit longer because she is probably still feeling sick. I went home at lunch time and she is still fatigued and listless but still hasn't vomitted and ate a very small amount of food and had a tiny drink of water. But her gums are very pale (paler than yesterday) and she just isn't herself. Normally she launches herself at me when I get home and has all the energy in the world but at the moment barely gets off the bed to say hello.

Would you take your dog back to the vet or would you wait it out longer?

I'd be there now. Insist they do a Packed Cell Volume count to check for for dehydration and consider the possiblity of haemolytic anaemia or haemorrhagic gastro.

If you can find a better vet, I'd go there. Do not be fobbed off.

Edited by poodlefan

Agree with Poodlefan. I asked about blood in the diarrhoea, because when my dog was exhibiting the exact symptoms your dog is, he had haemorrhagic gastro. Along with the symptoms you mentioned he also had the blood in the stool.

Agree with Poodlefan. I asked about blood in the diarrhoea, because when my dog was exhibiting the exact symptoms your dog is, he had haemorrhagic gastro. Along with the symptoms you mentioned he also had the blood in the stool.

My poodle Darcy has had HGE twice. It is rapid onset and dogs need to be on a drip ASAP.

Get them to check potassium levels too.. low potassium is an HGE indicator.

My poodle Darcy has had HGE twice. It is rapid onset and dogs need to be on a drip ASAP.

Get them to check potassium levels too.. low potassium is an HGE indicator.

wow, twice! Once is bad enough. It's pretty scary. Do you have any idea what may have caused it in your dog poodlefan? I know it's very difficult to pinpoint the cause, we never could work it out.

I'm surprised that the vet has let it go on for this long actually considering all of the possibilities that have been mentioned here.

Last time Darcy presented for HGE they also checked him out for a bowel interception.

Akay:

wow, twice! Once is bad enough. It's pretty scary. Do you have any idea what may have caused it in your dog poodlefan? I know it's very difficult to pinpoint the cause, we never could work it out.

Yeah, a small number of dogs will get it more than once. Aren't I the lucky one. :thumbsup: No, the trigger was never identified in either case. My vet said it could even be an insect bite. All they know is HGE can have a bacterial, viral, parasitic or toxic trigger. And you don't waste time before commencing aggressive treatment.

Edited by poodlefan

There was one tiny drop of blood in her diarrhoea but there hasn't been any since. In fact she hasn't been going to the toilet at all, just sleeping.

Her symptoms are disappearing I guess eg no vomitting or diarrhoea but she just isn't right, her lethargy just isn't like her. She doesn't even walk around with her tail up but instead right down by her legs so I have booked her back into the vet tonight.

sounds like my boy - he had very severe gastro.

I took him to the vet when he first vomitted (because he was still making choking noises and I worried about a blockage). The next morning he vomitted twice in a few minutes and was just "off" - so off to emergency we went. HE was on a drip immediately becasue he vommitted a few times more during the consult. He had x-rays and blood tests that day.

I'm not a vet but it sounds like your dog should be on a drip at least - if they're not taking water or throwing it up they can become dehydrated quickly. He should also have a blood test and possibly an x-ray to check for an obstruction. If you don't feel like you're being listened to, see another vet.

Poodlefan, I'm glad it worked out in the end, I hope I don't get a repeat with little Benny.

Megan - I agree about the fears of dehydration if the dog has been vomiting a lot and hasn't been drinking. When Benny had HGE I think he saved himself because he drank copious amounts of water.

Kiesha - that's exactly how Benny was, just not himself, tail down etc. I'm glad you are taking her to the vet today, and like Megan said, if you feel you're vet isn't taking it seriously enough, consider another one.

So I'm definately going back to the vet. I too have thought about something lodged in the gut.

She actually hasn't vomitted since immediately after we were at the vets last night. Initially on Sunday and early Monday she was vomitting but drinking alot then vomitting it up again. However last night and this morning she wouldn't drink anything. When I went home at lunch time she had a small drink of water that I gave her.

I too am worried about the dehydration, however after doing the skin checks on the back of the neck it springs back into place fairly rapidly. I know that is not a conclusive test but it is a good indication.

The vet is actually very good, is listening and isn't fobbing me off. There was the option of putting her straight on an IV, leaving her overnight and then blood tests if she hadn't improved. But since she is a fairly stessy dog as is I didn't want to stress her out even more so opted for the other option of giving her the anti vomit injection to see if that worked first. If it didn't she was to be back at the vet first thing in the morning. But it did work in stopping her vomitting so I didn't take her back this morning. In hindsight I should have left her!!!

It also doesn't help that she become quite spritely at the vets while they are in the room but as soon as they walk out she lays down and sleeps (NOT like her at all, this is a dog that runs of full cylinders ALL the time) so that is definately why we are going back.