Obedience Jumps - Where Do You Get Them?

It's that time of year again, and I'm putting my family on notice for what xmas presents I would like this year :)

I'm thinking some jumps for Open training would be perfect - solid, bar, broad jump.

Anyway, I'm not sure where you can buy home versions of these jumps. Or do people make them instead?

I'm pretty lazy/lousy with a hammer and my husband is a bit similar (better than me, but pretty busy). So either we go with very easy/quick construction, or we buy something and be done with it.

I would like to be able to use them at home, but also pack them up easily and take them to a local park to train.

Any ideas?

Make them yourself it is way cheaper. And I am handyman challenged as well :)

The bar jumps are easy just go to Bunnings and buy 4metres of PVC pipe with 4 T joiners per jump to fit cut three pieces of pipe around a metre long each. Two of these are side poles which I cut at 400mm and put a T joiner in to take the cross bar. It also allows you to change the height (I train/teach at that height but both my girls compete at close to 600mm). Put a T piece on the bottom and cut two 250mm pieces of pipe and place in there for feet. Wrap electricians tape - the black stuff - around the pipe at intervals and tada you have youself a bar jump. Make two and drop a white sheet over the bar of one and you have a solid jump if you dont want to make a wooden version, though that is relatively easy as well with stuff bought from Bunnings. I collapse mine all down and along with a fold up version of a small send away box it all fits in an old collapsible chair bag in the boot of the car for taking up the park.

The wooden jump is a bit trickier but doable. You need -

- a length of stair rail capping for side bars and enough pieces of 200mm pine to give the height you need. You can buy ready cut pieces at Bunnings.

- a length of threaded rod (I think it is called a booker rod) that they will also cut for you and two wing nuts to fit.

- two L shape metal shelf supports for feet for each side.

Paint the whole thing white, sand the ends of the pine boards so they are an easier fit in the cut out of the side bits. Drill a hole one board width up from the bottom to take the rod. Screw the L shapes to the side bars and presto you have a jump. Built one about 5 months ago and cost me about $70.00

3755722097_69a3d0fa66.jpg

Not much help with the broad jump as we do change of position.

Hope that all makes sense.

Jan2008001.jpg

This is one I made.

My advice though, is to forget a broad jump, as its a bit of a waste of exercise anyway. The BJ doesn't tie in with any future UD exercises, but the change of position does.

If you make a bar jump, you can simply hang white linen over it to transform it into a very cheap solid jump.

For the amount time I use my solid jump, it wasnt worth the $150 it cost me to make it.

another one here who uses two bar jumps and just drops the sheet/towel over one of the bars. I am far too lazy to make a solid jump and they tend to be a bit bulky which means I would probably never put it up or very rarely. The bars are nice and easy to move around and you can pack them in the back of the car easily and take them down to a park to train with!!! You can be a bit fancier and use a peice of white canvas/other strong material with a bar sewn into the bottom so that it doesn't flap around too much and pretty much looks solid.

Thanks for the ideas :cry: We need some jumps too :p

At training this morning Pele did a perfect dumbbell retrieval over the solid jump and a perfect broad jump. She's never done either! I was so amazed and proud of her :(

Cool idea - count me in!

The bar jump looks like something even I could handle. I could bring my sewing machine along and sew us all some groovy canvas bags to keep them in while we're at it!

And I take the point about the broad jump. One less thing to worry about...

Edited by Zug Zug

For a broad jump maybe you could put planks/palings on bricks for training at home. I was thinking of doing the change of position with Pele 'cos she's such a klutz and would probably crash in the middle :rofl: At her first attempt at the broadjump today she stepped all over it :love: Then she got the idea and did it perfectly and thought it was great fun. Now I'm thinking of broad jump :laugh:

For a broad jump maybe you could put planks/palings on bricks for training at home. I was thinking of doing the change of position with Pele 'cos she's such a klutz and would probably crash in the middle At her first attempt at the broadjump today she stepped all over it Then she got the idea and did it perfectly and thought it was great fun. Now I'm thinking of broad jump

Try placing a very low bar jump in the middle of the broad jump boards, to teach your dog to jump with a bit of height, as well as length. This will avoid ideas of stepping on the boards.

Oscar learning broad jump

Edited by dogdude

One of the great advantages of working really close to home is you get to make good use of your lunch break...

I got a bit excited today - went down to the local hardware shop with all of your great ideas in my mind. I was only going to look, but one thing led to another and ta-da - we have a new dog jump. :) Total cost $38.17 including a spare jump bar and loads of left-over tarzan grip and duct tape.

See pictures below - Zamba seems happy but wanted to stop with the dumbbell in the shade under the verandah instead of staying on the grass (don't you know that's actually our TOILET you're asking me to sit on?). Mozart is not sure about the whole thing, but he won't be doing any jumping anyway.

Good thing I didn't call in at the animal shelter during my lunch break, eh? Anything could happen... (this is how we got Zamba in the first place!)

post-29106-1255926527_thumb.jpg

post-29106-1255926542_thumb.jpg

post-29106-1255926553_thumb.jpg

Edited by Zug Zug

For a broad jump maybe you could put planks/palings on bricks for training at home. I was thinking of doing the change of position with Pele 'cos she's such a klutz and would probably crash in the middle At her first attempt at the broadjump today she stepped all over it Then she got the idea and did it perfectly and thought it was great fun. Now I'm thinking of broad jump

Try placing a very low bar jump in the middle of the broad jump boards, to teach your dog to jump with a bit of height, as well as length. This will avoid ideas of stepping on the boards.

Oscar learning broad jump

Reminds me of this old photo

post-29106-1255934587_thumb.jpg

Wow, good work!!! I read the instructions posted and still got lost :thumbsup: I'd like to try make some towards the end of the year, so I'm hoping I eventually work it out! :rofl:

Rubystar would it help if I posted pics of mine in pieces so you can see it? I am a visual type person as well need to see before I can do.

I never ever had a problem with either of my dogs stepping on the broad jump as they were taught with something that they couldn't stand on. I made a broad jump from 4 pieces of weatherboard cut to length & 8 bricks. Put 2 bricks (lengthwise) in line with where you want the first part of the jump to be & prop a piece of weatherboad up against it, continue with the other 3 boards. Looks almost identical to the dog from the front, but pretty much impossible to stand on.

We didn't have a choice back then of what exercises you wanted to do except in UD, so teaching the dog the broadjump was an important part of Open training (& one part where alot of dogs made a mistake).