Sasha's Blend Vs Jointguard

~*Shell*~

Hey everyone,

I'm a little worried about the effects of Zero being overweight for so long (he was 43kgs when I got him and now sits at 28 though I'm dropping him back to 26) and want to put him on some supplements to help him and have been recommended both Sasha's Blend and Joint Guard. I'm not sure of the difference between the two - which one should I get or would it be beneficial to put him on both?

Thanks!

Hi Shell

I am currently using Sasha's blend but am no help in comparing as I have only used it.

I have no idea whether it is helping Asher or not as he is still recovering from surgery but I hope it is helping :)

Would love to hear comparisons on the 2 products as well.

What happened to Asher?!? I must've missed something!

Sending lots of healing husky hugs from Zero and I!

Do you find Sasha's blend easy to use? Zero's on artemis and RMBs at the moment with a little bit of fish and other things thrown in so I'm not sure how we'll get a powder into him but I'm assuming I could just put it in with his fish.

I'm also contemplating the joint guard treats - it'll be easy to get Zero to swallow them!

I prefer Sasha's Blend. I have used both with Chloe and from the small difference I believe it makes, I feel that she does better on Sasha's Blend. That, plus Sasha's Blend is also much more palatable for Chloe - she loves the fishy taste and I make a 'sauce' with it by adding some water and stirring. Joint Guard I found to just smell like sterile powder and she didn't like it as much and I had to make an effort to hide it from her :) .

But I'm sure both work equally as well - their ingredients are a little different.

Do you find Sasha's blend easy to use? Zero's on artemis and RMBs at the moment with a little bit of fish and other things thrown in so I'm not sure how we'll get a powder into him but I'm assuming I could just put it in with his fish.

I'm also contemplating the joint guard treats - it'll be easy to get Zero to swallow them!

For a fussy dog Sasha's Blend would probably be easier to get down cause it has a fishy taste - I usually add a few drops of water and just mix it in with the food, or if they eat any kind of meat cut up into pieces then I just sprinkle it over. Sasha's Blend also comes in bite sized treats (although they stink to high heaven - but of course that means dogs love them LOL). I have used Joint Guard treats too, but I don't find the treats as effective in either brand (but that might be my bias not sure).

Sasha's blend has green lipped mussel in it that Joint Guard doesn't, but also has a stronger smell/taste which some dogs like and others don't.

It seems to be mostly personal (and also the dog's personal) preference - there have been a few threads comparing the two before - I searched looking for info for my MIL's dog.

I use Joint Guard. It is no smell, and my dog is doing well on it. She has DJD of her Hip. I was looking into Sasha's blend for my first dog a good few yrs back when she had ED HD and severe arthritis from a young age. I looked them all up at the time i didnt know of Joint guard. Lucy was a fussy dog with smells so she HATED the smell of anything "fishy" I ended up after 4 days of her refusing to eat anything because it was "poison" I eventually got Vets all natural into her. I noticed a slight improvement.

However when Charlotte had these problems only about a month or so ago, i went for Joint guard as I had heard more good things about that than sashas blend. I am happy with this one so plan to stay on it.

Zero likes fishy things so I think I'll try him on Sasha's Blend and see how he goes. If he doesn't like it, I'll switch him over to Joint Guard. I'd rather get the green lipped mussel into him so hopefully he'll enjoy a Sasha's Blend sauce every day :)

Asher had ACL Surgery about 10 weeks ago Shell. He came through it well but isnt progressing as much as we had hoped, but hopefully more swimming and increased walks will start rebuilding the muscles and get him better soon :)

Thanks for the Zero and Shell Husky Hugs :(

Sasha's blend is so easy for us. I put it into, onto, around and mixed in whatever they eat. Asher and Nooki dont mind it at all. On RMB's I either just put it in the bowl and the lick it up and I put a little water in it to make it easier for them. I would think just sprinkling it on the fish should be enough for Zero if he likes fishy things already! They get a full spoon each day so 1 tub lasts me about 5 weeks for the 2 of them.

The free sample is great too. Has some info on the product and who doesn't love free stuff :rofl: I would get it for sure Shell if you arent sure how Zero will like it. Im sure he will though!

Sasha's Blend is only really an anti inflammatory, it doesn't have Glucosamine & Chondroitin like Joint Guard does. Joint Guard stops further deterioration and break down and helps to build up the joint. It also has MSM which is an anti inflammatory. There is a lot more research done in Joint Guard too :rofl:

We're big Joint Guard lovers here. :)

Sasha's Blend is only really an anti inflammatory, it doesn't have Glucosamine & Chondroitin like Joint Guard does. Joint Guard stops further deterioration and break down and helps to build up the joint. It also has MSM which is an anti inflammatory. There is a lot more research done in Joint Guard too :confused:

We're big Joint Guard lovers here. ;)

Throwing another one in;

What about Technflex

Sasha's Blend is only really an anti inflammatory, it doesn't have Glucosamine & Chondroitin like Joint Guard does. Joint Guard stops further deterioration and break down and helps to build up the joint. It also has MSM which is an anti inflammatory. There is a lot more research done in Joint Guard too :wave:

We're big Joint Guard lovers here. :)

Throwing another one in;

What about Technflex

Technyflex is ONLY green lipped mussel, it has what they claim to be glucosamine & chondroitin but it would only be trace amounts and not enough to help the joints, and it would be in the raw form.

any reviews on the vets all natural joint support medi-treats?

If anyone knows a reliable online stockist (that you've had good experiences with) of the joint guard treats I'd really apreciate it!

Ahh its the never ending search for something that WILL work!! hey!!! :thumbsup::laugh:

I have been looking for ages.

I have not had any benifit from this product, but there is herbs aswell that could manage

the problem.

Devils claw just to name a few.

Horse threads on other forums you should also look at too.

Have you considered pure MSN (start with 3 grams and day and work up to 2 x 3 gram doses per day) and then compliment that with a dose of Glucosamine?

Pure MSN works well but in clinical trials showed that it works faster when taken with Glucosamine.

Pure MSN has been used for decades on Horses and humans, many American Vets use it in Canines also for inflamation, joint and spinal problems as it well known to minimise inflamation and assists in the reduction of pain also, you can give it via crystals, powder or capsuals although the capsuals aren't widely available in Australia and then do a double whammy by applying it topically as well.

MSM is a nutritional supplement and has been clinicaly trialed and tested since the 60's, strangely enough isn't widely used in Australia...go figure. No allergic reactions or side effects other than loose stools if you give too much too soon.

Looking through different clinical results Chondroitin doesn't seem as good as either of the above.

Edited by sas

Chondroitin is very important, its role is to stop further breakdown of cartilage.

So using it in conjunction with Glucosamine & MSM is recommended, otherwise Glucosamine is helping to build cartilage, but there is nothing there to stop it from breaking down....

I ended up buying Zero both joint guard and sasha's blend so I'll see how he goes - i don't know how much damage he has to his joints but we're just waiting for the vet i trust to have a saturday appointment. It would be nice to be able to get him done as soon as possible but i can't get him into the vet at an early enough time because of work at the moment so i'm going to have to wait.