Cool Collars?

Red Fox

Damnation... here I was thinking I had found what i was looking for.

dyzney how tough are the collars? China isn't necessarily a collar chewer... more a Bron chewer and also jumps and grabs him (if that makes sense). Just wondering whether the collar would withstand that sort of treatment. Sadly a mat would be more likely to come to grief as they like to cart and shred their bedding... tis great fun apparently. :):love:

Hi ABC, if China is likely to be excited by something new that she sees him wearing to the point where you think she will grab and bite at it, it is likely that at the very least she will pull it off him if not put her teeth through the fabric and destroy the Collar. The Polat Collar fabric will not withstand chewing or biting. The fabric, though definitely strong enough to successfully do the job it is required for, is light weight so as not to be excessively heavy around the dog's neck. If he is not a chewer, then China can probably wear one, but from the sounds of things, probably not him.

The other option if it is possible is to separate them while they are wearing their Polar Collars if this suits your arrangements and set up.

The Polar Collars I am currently using are now over 2 years old. I am not gentle with them. They get tossed around and throw wherever when not in use. They are still as new, and have been soaked and dehydrated many many times. So, they are quite durable, just not chew proof.

My young boy did pull one off my Standard Poodle twice before I gave up putting it on her with him around. He is pretty full on, and he thinks the Collars are toys. He didn't do any damage to it, but he could have.

It is good for me to experiment with these things so I can report when asked these sorts of questions.

Thanks for your reply dysney.

I am considering getting one and giving it a go. I thought I could monitor the reaction etc for the first few times I put it on Bron and go from there. The old boy is really feeling the heat already and is treating the clam shell as a bath (ie not wanting a bar of it), so have to do something for him. I don't think that China would chew on it.

I'm sure I read on here somewhere about what's inside the collars but can't find it for the life of me atm. :o So, can I ask, if the collar was punctured are the contents toxic at all?

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hey Dzyney, do the pads really dry out so the dogs can lie on them and not get wet coats? I'd really love these for my guys at shows, but it would be a bit disasterous to get them out of their pen to go in the ring and find one side all wet and scrunched up!

Would it mean soaking them the day before and hanging them up for the covers to dry? I'd be worried that the weight of my dogs on them would squeeze water out of them.

Hey Dzyney, do the pads really dry out so the dogs can lie on them and not get wet coats? I'd really love these for my guys at shows, but it would be a bit disasterous to get them out of their pen to go in the ring and find one side all wet and scrunched up!

Would it mean soaking them the day before and hanging them up for the covers to dry? I'd be worried that the weight of my dogs on them would squeeze water out of them.

Hi Alyosha, I soaked mine the other day and then hung it on the line for a few hours until the cover was completely dry. It's been sitting on the couch now for 2 days with a thin blanket on top to cover it. It's been sat on, jumped on and layed on in that time (by me, 40kg dog and 25kg 10 year old son) and the couch and blanket are completely dry (crystals inside the mat are still full though and mat is still cold). I would think that if you dried the cover out properly that you'd be fine with it.

I'm planning on using mine on the car seat this week to keep me cool during the heat wave. I'm pretty confident I wont end up with a wet bum lol :dancingelephant:

Damnation... here I was thinking I had found what i was looking for.

dyzney how tough are the collars? China isn't necessarily a collar chewer... more a Bron chewer and also jumps and grabs him (if that makes sense). Just wondering whether the collar would withstand that sort of treatment. Sadly a mat would be more likely to come to grief as they like to cart and shred their bedding... tis great fun apparently. :champagne::dancingelephant:

Hi ABC, if China is likely to be excited by something new that she sees him wearing to the point where you think she will grab and bite at it, it is likely that at the very least she will pull it off him if not put her teeth through the fabric and destroy the Collar. The Polat Collar fabric will not withstand chewing or biting. The fabric, though definitely strong enough to successfully do the job it is required for, is light weight so as not to be excessively heavy around the dog's neck. If he is not a chewer, then China can probably wear one, but from the sounds of things, probably not him.

The other option if it is possible is to separate them while they are wearing their Polar Collars if this suits your arrangements and set up.

The Polar Collars I am currently using are now over 2 years old. I am not gentle with them. They get tossed around and throw wherever when not in use. They are still as new, and have been soaked and dehydrated many many times. So, they are quite durable, just not chew proof.

My young boy did pull one off my Standard Poodle twice before I gave up putting it on her with him around. He is pretty full on, and he thinks the Collars are toys. He didn't do any damage to it, but he could have.

It is good for me to experiment with these things so I can report when asked these sorts of questions.

Thanks for your reply dysney.

I am considering getting one and giving it a go. I thought I could monitor the reaction etc for the first few times I put it on Bron and go from there. The old boy is really feeling the heat already and is treating the clam shell as a bath (ie not wanting a bar of it), so have to do something for him. I don't think that China would chew on it.

I'm sure I read on here somewhere about what's inside the collars but can't find it for the life of me atm. :champagne: So, can I ask, if the collar was punctured are the contents toxic at all?

ABC, the polymers (which are the crystal contents) are not at all toxic. Like I mentioned earlier, not an ideal meal for your dog, but perfectly safe if accidentally ingested. If a reasonable quantity of polmers are in the dehydrated state and ingested, that could possible be more dangerous as once they become wet, they absorb moisture and sweel, so obvious care need to be heeded in leaving dehydrated Collars and Pads lying around. Your dog would not be wearing a dehydrated Collar, so this is not an issue in your situation.

Yes, the poor dogs are really feeling the heat, particularly the older ones.

Hi Alyosha, yes the Pad will dry out totally so that there is no moisture coming out of it. If your situation requires that the Pad must be completely dry whilst being used, then just leave it on the line or somewhere similar for it to dry for a while. Depending on the weather it can take anything from a couple of hrs to a day.

There is so much polymer inside the Pad that it will not dehydrate in this time. The polymers absorb water that cannot be squeezed out of them. The water evaporates out over time for releasde. so, the weight of the dog will not cause any seepage provided you have allowed enough time for excess water to drain off and the outer fabric to dry.

I hope this explains it for you.

:dancingelephant:

Hi Alyosha, I soaked mine the other day and then hung it on the line for a few hours until the cover was completely dry. It's been sitting on the couch now for 2 days with a thin blanket on top to cover it. It's been sat on, jumped on and layed on in that time (by me, 40kg dog and 25kg 10 year old son) and the couch and blanket are completely dry (crystals inside the mat are still full though and mat is still cold). I would think that if you dried the cover out properly that you'd be fine with it.

I'm planning on using mine on the car seat this week to keep me cool during the heat wave. I'm pretty confident I wont end up with a wet bum lol :dancingelephant:

Thanks for assisting with explanation SK. Great application also. The Pads are very versatile. well done.

Just as a precaution, when I am using my Pads on the carpet or furniture I always pop a towel underneath, but then I am not always so thorough with checking mine have completely dried out. I have never had an issue with leaks, drips and damage to carpet or furtniture.

The Pads can withstand extreme weight. Any amount of weight from either person or dog that can physically fit onto the pad will never be too heavy.

OK so i have stolen the cool collar from the dog until my own arrives.

I have had it around my neck, and then around my forehead... think Xanadu LOL

its brilliant!!! I love it!!! :laugh: :D

Dyzney do they make an entire body suit? now that would be unreal!!! :laugh: :laugh:

oh and the dog did have it on in the car on saturday and we noticed she was not really panting like she normally does on a hot day in the car :laugh:

I wore mine (well OK it's my dog's but he doesn't know that as I haven't given it to him yet) around Colac show yesterday and didn't get any weird comments or looks that I noticed. The two Kelpie girls competed in the morning and then spent the rest of the day wearing theirs and resting in the dog trailer. It was hot but we all coped. I'm sure we would have been much hotter without them. I showed them to friends who were most impressed.

I'm not sure that I would want a full body suit - maybe a hat or a blanket to go around shoulders. :laugh:

hahahah yes well i thought hmmmm it would be great to have some wrist bands,

then something for my feet,

then i thought what the heck a full body suit would do just great :D

I mean we have thermal underwear for winter :laugh:

You girls are funny. :D Could you imagine an entire body suit. It would be so heavy you would not be able to move.... but hey, at least you would be cool. :laugh:

4Kelpies, glad the day went OK, and you all survived the heat. Yes, I am sure your dogs were much better off with their Collars. Sometimes the heat is extreme that no product will totally eliminate all the heat when we are out and about, but as long as the dogs are more comfortable, then we have done our jobs. :laugh:

I wore my Collar on sunday showing, and did not get any weird looks or comments. Some people wanted to have a go at wearing my Collar though. :laugh:

It would be so heavy you would not be able to move.... but hey, at least you would be cool. :laugh:

actually no i hadn't thought of how heavy it would be :laugh: :laugh:

but you are right at least i would be cool :laugh: :D

Ok I had a negative with the ferrets lol.. it took them approximately 1.5 seconds to chew through the fabric and start consuming the nice spongy beads inside :laugh:

I gave it a quick sew up (I didn't loose too much to ferret ingestion) and its now hanging on the line - for anyone interested its been out there for 2 days in 30 degree heat and is still cool! Whilst I try and think of any possible ways to ferret proof it lol. If I can't I think I'll use it myself when driving :D

Dyzney,

another question i keep meaning to ask is when my partner walks to my work to meet me with the dog, she is wearing her cool collar :cry:

will it be ok for her to jump into the river that is on part of that walk?

It is a salt water river.

Or if he lets her run off for a quick swim is he better off taking the collar off and then putting it back on when they have passed the river?

I know you have said it doesn't absorb urine, but wanted your opinion on the river please :(

just also thinking now will it keep expanding as it absorbs water and maybe be dangerous if it gets too tight for her??

Ok I had a negative with the ferrets lol.. it took them approximately 1.5 seconds to chew through the fabric and start consuming the nice spongy beads inside :cry:

I gave it a quick sew up (I didn't loose too much to ferret ingestion) and its now hanging on the line - for anyone interested its been out there for 2 days in 30 degree heat and is still cool! Whilst I try and think of any possible ways to ferret proof it lol. If I can't I think I'll use it myself when driving :(

That very disappointing, but I had a feeling that would happen, hence why I mentioned it when you first told me about the ferrets.

My gut feeling is - as they are such tennacious little critters, they will just keep trying to chew it no matter what you do.

I think as you say, you are better off using it yourself.

Silly little bliters can't even tell when they are on a good thing. Oh well, can't say you didn't try to help them. :)

Dyzney,

another question i keep meaning to ask is when my partner walks to my work to meet me with the dog, she is wearing her cool collar :D

will it be ok for her to jump into the river that is on part of that walk?

It is a salt water river.

Or if he lets her run off for a quick swim is he better off taking the collar off and then putting it back on when they have passed the river?

I know you have said it doesn't absorb urine, but wanted your opinion on the river please :)

just also thinking now will it keep expanding as it absorbs water and maybe be dangerous if it gets too tight for her??

Oonga, the polymers will not absorb the salt content in the water, so really it isn't a problem in that way. But if OH lets Maia spend more than a couple of minutes in the water, the polymers will manage to absorb water still anyway. This may result in the Collar becoming over engorged and swollen, which in turn can result in it being so heavy it may come off in the water with the weight of the water flowing past it. If it comes off in the water it will sink and then it is gone. Not really worth risking IMO.

Also becoming over swollen will make it too stiff to bend around her neck. It will not get so tight that it is a danger to her breathing. The fabric would split at the stitching and contents would seep before that would happen. During experiments, it is not possible to do up a Collar that is dangerously too tight, as it will just not stay done up. They are very safe in this regard. It is soft fabric and mouldable polymers that do have their limit of absorption. In manufacture the collars are only filled with the optimum quantity of polymers for safe use.

I vote the easiest and safetest thing to do would be to ask OH to take it off whilst Maia has a little dip and pop it back on afterwards for the remainder of the walk to your work.

The Collars also release heat if taken off for a while, so it is a good thing to do this. I also turn mine every now and then as it has the same affect. When OH takes off Oonga's Collar before her dip, he will notice that it will have a slightly warmer feeling to the side that was in contact with her neck. But once it has been off for a litle while, it will be cool again as the heated side will have evaporated.

:)

It would be so heavy you would not be able to move.... but hey, at least you would be cool. :wave:

actually no i hadn't thought of how heavy it would be ;) :mad

but you are right at least i would be cool :D :)

Yeah but you could put it on dry then sit in the bath to soak it. You'd have to stay there all day though :)

My 10 year old son has stolen Kei's mat and taken it to bed to sleep on tonight :)

My 10 year old son has stolen Kei's mat and taken it to bed to sleep on tonight :wave:

Your son is one clever boy!!! :D

Last night we were saying it would be good if they made like a sheet for bed to cover with on these really hot nights but that would be heavy too, so a sheet to lay on might be the better option :)

Dyzney thanks for the response in regards to going in the river with the collar on :)

My 10 year old son has stolen Kei's mat and taken it to bed to sleep on tonight :wave:

Your son is one clever boy!!! :D

Last night we were saying it would be good if they made like a sheet for bed to cover with on these really hot nights but that would be heavy too, so a sheet to lay on might be the better option :)

Dyzney thanks for the response in regards to going in the river with the collar on :)

You are very welcome.

Have a great day all.... and try to stay cool. :)