Cool Collars?

Red Fox

Hi lisat.

I would not be concerned about your Lab chewing the Polar Collar. To date I have only heard of the one coming off a dog, so it is not common or easy for them to come off, unless grabbed by another dog. If by chance your dog was wearing a Polar Collar and somehow it did come off, and he did chew it and ingest some of or all of the Polymer, there is no reason this will harm your dog.

The crystal polymers are non-toxic and safe to ingest. Naturally it is preferable that they remain inside the product and not in the dogs stomach, but not a big issue. As the Collar will be activated when the dog is wearing it, and will not have enough time to dehydrate during the course of one day, it will still be activated even at the end of the day.

If however the Collar was in the dehydrated form, this is the time that owners must be vigilent with storing the products away from the dogs. If they eat them while dehydrated, the moisture inside the dog's gut will cause the crystals to swell and could result in bloat or other gut issues.

I would not recommend a Polar Pad to be used unattended for any dog that is likely to be a chewer. It is not a cheap product and if it gets chewed, if nothing else it is a waste of money. Also, there are a lot more crystal polymers inside the pad, so the dog may make himself sick if he ate them all.

The fabric on the pads is very tough and not easy to chew, but certainly not chew proof.

I hope this information is helpful. :hug:

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Dexters collar is now staying on! Clearly I was letting it soak up too much water.

Oh, that is excellent news shmoo. Very glad to hear it, and I appreciate you letting me know. :laugh:

OK, so to go back on my last post to lisat, now I have never heard of any dog that has had a Polar Collar come off... unless it was over soaked or another dog has grabbed it off.

hey Dyzney - what size cool mat would I be needing for the Morty monsta do you think?

Hi Fiona, it depends on the intended application. Provided the use is not for the base of a crate when Morty is locked inside, then I suggest either a size 4 or a size 5, depending on what you want to spend.

:laugh:

hey Dyzney - what size cool mat would I be needing for the Morty monsta do you think?

Hi Fiona, it depends on the intended application. Provided the use is not for the base of a crate when Morty is locked inside, then I suggest either a size 4 or a size 5, depending on what you want to spend.

Well we don't close him into a crate at all - his K9 is for sleeping in and we leave the front unzippered throughout the night - he just stays there ..... its for the backroom (sunroom) where he has a tramp bed and access to the backyard - just to give him a cool option to lie on as the air con won't be installed in that room when the rest of the house is being done in a few weeks time ....

So a 4 or 5 would work for that?

How much would you do one for a greyhound? It would need to be about half the size of Dexters which looks about 30cms.

Hi shmoo, Greyhounds all take the size 1 Polar Collar. all the Polar Collars are the same price $14.95 plus postage.

Ebay or my website, all the same.

Cheers. :laugh:

Well we don't close him into a crate at all - his K9 is for sleeping in and we leave the front unzippered throughout the night - he just stays there ..... its for the backroom (sunroom) where he has a tramp bed and access to the backyard - just to give him a cool option to lie on as the air con won't be installed in that room when the rest of the house is being done in a few weeks time ....

So a 4 or 5 would work for that?

Thanks for the explanation Fiona.

Absolutely 4 or 5 will be fine for Morty. If you feel that you really want him to be able to get all of his body onto the pad with nothing hanging over, then you would be better off getting him the 5. If you are happy to understand that quite often the dogs just wish to put a section of their body onto the Pad, then fel free to go down to the 4. Hope that makes sense.

Have a great day.

I am going out today with the float trialing. OK, so it is not going to be as hot as I had originally thought, so really I ned not have bothered. but, what I have done is prepared my size 5 Polar Pad yesterday by top up axctivating soak. Towel dried it off a bit and popped it on the line for a few hrs. Late yesterday arvo it was bone dry on the outside and beautifully ready for use.

I have it inside the float berth I will have my bitch in, and I have put a towel over the top, as she prefers the feeling of a towel under her than the Pad fabric. It is alongside her normal bed in there, so she has her choice.

anyway, when I went out there this morning to check it all, the berth was so cool. I was much cooler than the other (and they are separated by a storage compartment so completely separate), so the pad had cooled the berth down over night. Very interesting.

So anyway Dyzney will probably not use the Pad, because she doesn't feel the heat too bad and will only use it if she is extremely hot, but I love the cooling affect it has created in her berth. I am thrilled about that. Her Collar is in there also, and will stay on her when she is in her crate ringside.

:laugh: :D I got the cool matt!!!! :)

Just in time for the hot next few days we have forecast here!!

I also got my own cool collar :mad

Dyzney I tried to email you to let you know i had received it but the email bounced back :rofl:

I think there is something wrong with your end.... well it wouldn't be my end of things :mad ;)

:laugh: :D I got the cool matt!!!! ;)

I also got my own cool collar :o

Dyzney I tried to email you to let you know i had received it but the email bounced back :)

I think there is something wrong with your end.... well it wouldn't be my end of things :o:mad

Glad your Polar Pad arrived in time for this next bout of warm weather Oonga. I am sure Maia will appreciate it.

And you will love your Polar Collar also.

My website and email address had a small hiccup (something to do with the server) but is all sorted now. :rofl:

... and there is definitely something wrong with my end... too much yummy food and not enough exercise, :mad:mad

Been down to the river recently?? I must join you some time.

Jag and I went to the pool yesterday, and even though there was no other dogs there, he still scrambled in by himself. It looks so funny. He jumps in with the front legs, then bottoms out with his tummy for a few seconds while he eventually gets his back legs in also. I figure there is less chance of him hurting himself by scrambling in than if I am trying to lift him over the side, and he will not use the ramp to get in, not without a fight and me getting some help.

He gets out well on the ramp now though, so that makes me feel a bit better. :)

I have to say Dyz, I am really pleased with how long the cool collar stays cool, excellent.

Nel was funny with it last week, she had it on a few times and it really helped, feeling under it felt just right, not too cold. However she now decides when she wants it on. I will offer to put it on, sometimes she does, other times she says she doesn't need it. "Don't make a fuss mum!"

A question for anyone using the mats. I have tried putting a wet towel on the tiles for my two and also draping a wet towel on them (not covering them, just on their legs say) and the look I get is as if I was trying to murder them. Has anyone who has a dog that is finds the wet towel adversive been able to get them to use the cool mat?

edited for spelling

Edited by Mr R & NR

I have to say Dyz, I am really pleased with how long the cool collar stays cool, excellent.

Nel was funny with it last week, she had it on a few times and it really helped, feeling under it felt just right, not too cold. However she now decides when she wants it on. I will offer to put it on, sometimes she does, other times she says she doesn't need it. "Don't make a fuss mum!"

A question for anyone using the mats. I have tried putting a wet towel on the tiles for my two and also draping a wet towel on them (not covering them, just on their legs say) and the look I get is as if I was trying to murder them. Has anyone who has a dog that is finds the wet towel adversive been able to get them to use the cool mat?

edited for spelling

Great news Mr R & NR, Nel is very cute.

I find that many dogs are not fond of wet towels or wet anything really. some don't mind, but clearly NellieRose is not happy with it. So for dogs like her and my Dyzney, just ensure the Pads are dry before using them. The fabric will dry out. As I also mentioned before Dyzney does not like the feeling of the fabric so I pop a dry towel on top of her Pad, and then she is more than happy to use it.

As a rule dogs find cool bedding really unusual, so some can find it aversive or even a bit frightening. So, it comes down to firstly knowing when they really require cooling and not just because we are warm we think they are struggling with the heat (more often than not dogs handle the heat very well) and secondly, you may need to put some training in to show the dogs that the pad is a safe place to be.

The mahority of dogs will not just automatically leap onto a brand new Polar Pad or similar product and decide this is a wonderfully cool place to be without any gentle introduction. It may take time and patience, and I find integrating the Pad use when crating even if just initially a great way to introduce.

Last week Grumpette was telling me about the old Mal that she purchased a Polar Pad for is almost living on it now. This is a dog that was really struggling in the heat.

If the dogs are coping well in the weather, they tend to know that they do not need the Pad. In the mean time, put in a bit of quality time training, and when the dog is really feeling the heat, they will enjoy their Pad.

:laugh: :D I got the cool matt!!!! :mad

I also got my own cool collar ;)

Dyzney I tried to email you to let you know i had received it but the email bounced back :mad

I think there is something wrong with your end.... well it wouldn't be my end of things :p :o

Glad your Polar Pad arrived in time for this next bout of warm weather Oonga. I am sure Maia will appreciate it.

And you will love your Polar Collar also.

My website and email address had a small hiccup (something to do with the server) but is all sorted now. :rofl:

... and there is definitely something wrong with my end... too much yummy food and not enough exercise, :o:)

Been down to the river recently?? I must join you some time.

Jag and I went to the pool yesterday, and even though there was no other dogs there, he still scrambled in by himself. It looks so funny. He jumps in with the front legs, then bottoms out with his tummy for a few seconds while he eventually gets his back legs in also. I figure there is less chance of him hurting himself by scrambling in than if I am trying to lift him over the side, and he will not use the ramp to get in, not without a fight and me getting some help.

He gets out well on the ramp now though, so that makes me feel a bit better. ;)

ahhhh good glad your hiccup is not all fixed :)

hahahaha and in regards to THAT end well lets not even go there with mine :D :love:

Yes we just got back from the river, It was nice and breezy there and a few boats went passed so Maia did her surfing swim in the waves they created LOL

We would love you to join us one day :D

Its going to be warm the next few days ;)

Not that it matters with Maia she swam in the river or the dam at the wetlands all through winter ;) :mad

Jag :eek: really adores the pool its fantastic to hear!!!!! :)

Thanks Dyzney for the reply regarding the mats. Will have a think about it. She loves the tiles and lying in the shower recess and lying under some shrubs at the side of the house that I hose down for her. That is probably enough. I just worry a bit when I am at work but they probably just sleep quietly and only get hot because of the excitement of me returning.

Surfgirl Maia, I can just see her. Beach babe as well as Supermodel :laugh:

Surfgirl Maia, I can just see her. Beach babe as well as Supermodel :laugh:

:love::o I just had a flashback to the day we went to Kepala with the 3 dogs and David took those photos Nellie and Mr R,

you building drive with the broom :o:)

While Maia swam along and collected her inventory of toys :)

Oh I am at work now but I thought David somehow managed to recover those photos

months later :laugh:

Maia was also cheeky to wait until Nellie or MrR dropped a toy then quickly picked it up & took it to the deep end.

Though Nellie & MrR were much happier with your attention & the broom :laugh::rofl:

Edited by oonga

Oonga, if they did get saved, I still really want that 'portrait' type print of the two of them in their beautiful drop stay on canvas. Maybe PM me if OH is still able to do it. Could be my Christmas present to myself................. :laugh:

ETA: Back to work woman :thumbsup:

Edited by Mr R & NR