Sore Ears *update*

CBL

Our vets have long suspected that Patch has an allergy as occassionally he will yelp when we give him a scratch behind the ears and he will duck his head when we touch them (and one ear would be a little pink). I had tried a couple of different antihistamines but it didn't seem to do much.

Last week his ears were obviously quite sore - pulling his ears away when we lifted them, yelping more often (rather than just once in a couple of months). I took him to the vet who could see no obvious signs of inflammation or infection (they did swabs) and they were nice and clean. The vets were stumped as to what it could be and suggested I try another antihistamine and dermotic drops in his ears (which the poor bugger hates - he runs when he sees the bottle).

Its been over a week since the vet visit and they are showing no signs of improvement. I will be taking him back this week but just wondered if anyone had any thoughts?

Edited by CBL

Been thinking about Patch's ears - have they always been sensitive? Some greys just do not like having their ears touched - a trainer once told me that if they have a "painful tattooing" they can just not want them touched - ever. And of course we know how dramatic they can be at times.

Been thinking about Patch's ears - have they always been sensitive? Some greys just do not like having their ears touched - a trainer once told me that if they have a "painful tattooing" they can just not want them touched - ever. And of course we know how dramatic they can be at times.

I had wondered that too, whether he just doesn't like them being touched - he really does his best to get away from me when it is time for his ear drops. When you lift up his ear he immediately pulls it back down.

So I have wondered if I am overreacting, but then I would hate to not investigate it and have him in pain :thumbsup:

No he hasn't been put under - but I guess xraying and a closer look is the next step.

Lucky was put under aneasthetic to have a good look in his ears. The vet couldn`t find very much wrong with them he seems to think it is an allergy problem. The problem flared up again recently so back to the vet he gave a cortisone injection and some antibiotics. Ear drops are no longer an option just can`t get them in. The cortisone and antibiotics worked a treat and didn`t have the hassle with ear drops.

chooka :thumbsup:

Just thought I would update this. Went back to the vets after 2 weeks of no improvement.

The vet did a thorough examination and poor Patch screamed and cried :clap: However, the vet (and another) could find no reason for any pain and so we are wondering whether it is behavioural. He carried on most when I was in the room however when he took him to get another vet to look he barely made a sound (though was unhappy) - it could be that 1. he was putting it on to get sympathy from me or 2. he was so freaked out (very dialated pupils) that he didn't make much noise.

So we are trialling him on painkillers for a week and we have to touch and play with his ears a lot. If there is pain then he should get better with us touching his ears, but if it is behavioural then there shouldn't be a change.

My boy has suffered this and was so bad that he yelped badly when I ever so gently even tried to lift an ear flap. His ear flaps were flaming hot. The redness was more on the inside of the ear flaps than they were down into the ear canal.

There was no infection and I did what I could to ease the problem by applying anti-biotic ointment (from the Vet) - not IN the ear canal, but just smoothed on the ear flap. This eased it (only by degrees) but did not resolve it.

Further down the track (about 4 weeks, I think) my boy broke out into hives over his body.

It is believed that his ear flap issue is connected to his other skin issue and I am treating him as an 'allergy' dog. This involves Vets' All Natural Allerblend, Omega 3, Skin Support powder additive and a couple of Chinese Herbal Medicines. I avoid giving him any drugs and any assistance to get over the skin irritation/discomfort are based in natural remedies.

So what I'm saying is that the problem you are having with your dog's ear flaps may not in fact be a direct ear related issue, if that makes sense. Think about things such as the diet he is on and maybe explore with some different foods.

For the most part my boy has been improving (including his ear flaps) although I notice in the last couple of weeks that his ears are returning a bit on the sensitve side, a bit too warm and a bit too pink. But *touch wood* nothing on the pain he has had in the past. Regardless, we're due a progress check with Dr. Bruce Syme so will be making an appointment to see him in the next week.

ETA: I use the Calendula tea to help his skin (to prevent secondary infection) but I've not found that this reduces the heat and redness on the inside of his ear flaps. At his worst time I have taken a cold pack, wrapped it in a towel and held that to the outside of his ear flaps for a few minutes. I did this without any Veterinary direction so not sure if I did right, but his ears at that time were so incredibly painful that he shivered, so I felt I needed to do something. I've done that a couple of times and I do notice that it does help to relieve some heat and takes the colour away a bit.

Edited by Erny

My boy has suffered this and was so bad that he yelped badly when I ever so gently even tried to lift an ear flap. His ear flaps were flaming hot. The redness was more on the inside of the ear flaps than they were down into the ear canal.

There was no infection and I did what I could to ease the problem by applying anti-biotic ointment (from the Vet) - not IN the ear canal, but just smoothed on the ear flap. This eased it (only by degrees) but did not resolve it.

Why would you use antibiotic ointment if there was no infection?

Why would you use antibiotic ointment if there was no infection?

I reluctantly used a wash that the Vet gave me - reluctant because it struck me that his skin needed to be soothed, yet this 'wash' was a bit on the stringent side. As it turned out, the 'wash' upset his skin more (one use only) so I returned to the Vet. There were lesions developing on the inside of his ear flap in amongst the hot/redness and the Vet was concerned about infection. I wasn't confident but it was a case of doing something to soothe the skin. At the time there were also other things happening with my boy and I had raised the subject of possible yeast infection (not just in his ears) with the Vet I was seeing at the time. The antibiotic solution seemed to be the only thing (other than the stringent wash) that the Vet could suggest for me. Since then though, I have been able to investigate further with another Vet and we've concentrated on diet and organ function (my words). This method of addressing the health concerns has helped greatly and my boy hasn't suffered the severe discomfort to his ear flaps since. Generally speaking, we're not out of the woods yet, but things are improving.

What I meant by "no infection" (in the part of my comment that you've quoted above) was that there was no infection in the ear canal. My point to the OP is that a red/hot/painful ear flap does not have to only be related to the ear canal, but I know from experience that's where some Vets and people centre their attention to the exclusion of other possibilities.

Edited by Erny

Hi Erny - the screaming at the vets was more when he was looking deep into the ear rather than just handling around the ear flaps - though he did do both.

I have been touching his ears alot as the vet suggested in conjunction with the pain meds - I thought he was getting better about it, but this morning he is shying away alot and cried once when I scratched him behind one ear.

I am starting to lean towards behavioural but I am not confident.

I have been touching his ears alot as the vet suggested in conjunction with the pain meds - I thought he was getting better about it, but this morning he is shying away alot and cried once when I scratched him behind one ear.

I don't know your dog so I couldn't say.

But I know mine and if he was shying away and crying when I scratch behind or touch any part of him, I'd not be satisfied at putting it down to a behaviour issue. Perhaps your Vet is right and is a very good Vet at reading dogs, but if I were in your shoes with my boy, I think I'd be inclined to seek a second opinion.

ETA: What's your dog like at touching any other part of him? What's he like when you restrain him by holding him? Does he "cry" like he did/does when you scratched behind his ears, even if he is trying to move away from you? If he does, then it is not an absolute that the ear issue relates to behaviour, but if he doesn't then I would even more strongly suggest that it is not a behavioural issue.

Edited by Erny

Tango had an allergic reaction to I don't know what when he was between 9 months and about 2 years - the symptoms were slight redness between the toes first and then the ear flaps became slightly pink and the scratching started.....after trying antihistamines that didn't really seem to do anything, I started washing between his toes and his ear flaps in Phisohex...and BINGO!!! No idea - but it worked a treat - only took a week and hasn't had a recurrence since.....

I don't know your dog so I couldn't say.

But I know mine and if he was shying away and crying when I scratch behind or touch any part of him, I'd not be satisfied at putting it down to a behaviour issue. Perhaps your Vet is right and is a very good Vet at reading dogs, but if I were in your shoes with my boy, I think I'd be inclined to seek a second opinion.

ETA: What's your dog like at touching any other part of him? What's he like when you restrain him by holding him? Does he "cry" like he did/does when you scratched behind his ears, even if he is trying to move away from you? If he does, then it is not an absolute that the ear issue relates to behaviour, but if he doesn't then I would even more strongly suggest that it is not a behavioural issue.

Thanks Erny - lots to think about. If only they could tell us exactly what is wrong.

The shying away is specific to when I touch his ears (moving his head down and away)- will check between his toes etc as well. Holding and restraining him is fine, the only issue is his ears.

He has been examined now by 3 vets at the clinic - one of whom is a family member (and friend) and I know will do all he can to get the correct diagnosis.

Will keep going with the pain meds and then see where we are.

You are all giving me lots to think about - thanks so much :)