Petition To End Bsl In Australia

Kreed

Thanks,

I appreciate the signatures, comments, and help spreading the petition around. It's slowed down a little, and I'm trying to grab some time to do another wave of publicity for it.

Fingers crossed we reach the target # of signatures. It's going well thus far.

Happy holidays,

Kirsten

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

signed & facebooked!

Thanks (all), and what an adorable puppin! :-D

I've had another surge of signatures from our bully breed supporters in the US, which is awesome... nearing the target. Hoping to get some more signatures from here... :thumbsup:

I'll sign it regardless, but I would be interested to know if, by 'BSL', are you referring specifically to removing parts of legislation targetting APBTs and similar 'types' of dog, or are you going for a wider removal of ALL BSL, including those singling out greyhounds?

I'll sign it regardless, but I would be interested to know if, by 'BSL', are you referring specifically to removing parts of legislation targetting APBTs and similar 'types' of dog, or are you going for a wider removal of ALL BSL, including those singling out greyhounds?

hey Longclaw,

You raise a fair question. By breed specific legislation I mean BSL governing all breeds. BSL has come to be synonymous with the banning of breeds, and blanket laws that only serve to scare the public (but still don't manage to educate owners or the gen'l public regarding responsible dog management), so that's my main focus, and it is a broad one. I am mainly referring to the breed bans in place, and the negative stereotypes perpetrated re: certain breeds, as stated in the petition. Thanks for signing, btw. :rofl:

Are you referring to the laws re: muzzling Greyhounds in some areas? I know it's generally not advised to take them to dog parks because of their propensity for a high prey drive. But they are great dogs otherwise. Many 'bully breed' enthusiasts also advise against dog parks for their breeds. I guess this comes down to owners knowing our dogs, managing risks, erring on the side of caution, and using common sense.

Hope this answers your question.

k

hey Longclaw,

You raise a fair question. By breed specific legislation I mean BSL governing all breeds. BSL has come to be synonymous with the banning of breeds, and blanket laws that only serve to scare the public (but still don't manage to educate owners or the gen'l public regarding responsible dog management), so that's my main focus, and it is a broad one. I am mainly referring to the breed bans in place, and the negative stereotypes perpetrated re: certain breeds, as stated in the petition. Thanks for signing, btw. :mad

Are you referring to the laws re: muzzling Greyhounds in some areas? I know it's generally not advised to take them to dog parks because of their propensity for a high prey drive. But they are great dogs otherwise. Many 'bully breed' enthusiasts also advise against dog parks for their breeds. I guess this comes down to owners knowing our dogs, managing risks, erring on the side of caution, and using common sense.

Hope this answers your question.

k

Ok, thanks for clarifying.

I am referring to the laws that require greyhounds all over Australia to wear a muzzle, even when walking on lead around the block, except in SA, Vic and QLD, and then only if the greyhound has been through a GAP assessment. There are many many breeds with high prey drive, and many individual greyhounds do not. This is also BSL, and perpetuates negative stereotypes about greyhounds.

I have signed too, plus added a few words

We offer rehabilitation to criminals so why not our animals.

Why target Pitbulls ?? If they get their way Staffies, German Shepherds & Cattle dogs would be next on their hit list so well ALL need to work together and bring home our outrage at such stupid "comments"

What is it with Victorian RSPCA & Government departments :dummy: , they really seem to publically have a thing against dogs and their owners at the moment ??? The powers that be in that state, really need to do their sums and see just how much revenue/money the Pet Industry generates :dunce:

Good on you for getting it started.

I sometimes wonder if these petitions do anything.

Over the few years that Ive been a member on DOL I signed countless petitions, we had BSL rallys (twice Ive attended) and where are we with ti all?

What can we do better/more to be heard?

I sometimes wonder if these petitions do anything.

Over the few years that Ive been a member on DOL I signed countless petitions, we had BSL rallys (twice Ive attended) and where are we with ti all?

What can we do better/more to be heard?

Engage with the law makers and lobbiers. Establish dialogue and communicate regularly. Argue dispassionately using FACTS.

Petitions really don't do much I'm afraid.

Speaking of facts, I can tell you that there is one RSPCA CEO in this country who OWNS an APBT. :thumbsup: I think its safe to say he's no fan of BSL.

Edited by poodlefan

RSPCA Australia released this statement in the wake of Dr Wirth's comments:

http://www.smh.com.au/opinion/society-and-...91021-h75n.html

They are not standing by him, either. A petition, by definition, is addressed to the powers that be. In this case, I am encouraging the RSPCA Australia to be a part of a postitive change.

I am against BSL for the APBT, but think BSL has a place. Sorry, I couldn't sign. If a breed has a breed standard that favours HA and DA tendencies, eg, the Filo Brasilioero (acceptable, by breed standards to bite the judge in a specialty show, supposed to be HA to non family members and DA to an extreme) I don't think imports should be allowed.

Edited by sandgrubber