Unusually Marked King Parrot

Kirislin

This young male decided to take shelter from the rain. I dont know him, I'd remember his markings. I've seen a few around here with yellow splashes in their plumage but he's got the most. He seemed quite sleepy, I hope he was just relaxed and not sick. I suppose he'd be prized in captivity because he might be able to be used to create variations in plumage.

4056697991_df449486e6_b.jpg

Very pretty bird. I guess he is pied, so no doubt would be sort after in a breeding programme. I wonder if he is actually an aviary escapee. Mind you I suppose pied birds do appear in the wild too, but I would think they would be rare.

But then, you say there are others, so maybe not so rare after all. :thumbsup:

Very pretty bird. I guess he is pied, so no doubt would be sort after in a breeding programme. I wonder if he is actually an aviary escapee. Mind you I suppose pied birds do appear in the wild too, but I would think they would be rare.

But then, you say there are others, so maybe not so rare after all. :thumbsup:

I suspect they're all related as I've seen them at my place, no where else. I suppose they must exist, that's how breeders create the variations, by mismarks but this has the most yellow and I've never seen the pale turquoise this one has either.

PCD does all sorts of odd things. My neighbour dropped a Cockatoo around last week whose beak had grown all twisted so he couldn't eat. Was only missing a few feathers.

They say in lorikeets that a tell-tale sign is feathers that look displaced because of the colour. That feather higher up on his back is an excellent example of that....

Feed stations are a major spreader of PCD. It's very contagious. They tell us in WIRES that if you have an aviary with wood in it and you put an infected bird in the aviary, you'll have the virus in your aviary for years.

If I were feeding wild parrots, I'd use metal trays and I'd wash them out twice a week with disinfectant. Supposedly PCD is resistant to most disinfectants... :)

I feed them occasionally but I throw the seed into the paddock. I used to use bird feeders but had to stop because the cockies come round and eat my house. The crimson rosellas in particular come around alot and feed from little plants that grow naturally on the ground too.

This might help. :cry:

Circovirus in Parrots

Circovirus is generally not as severe in parrots as it is in cockatoos but it may still be a debilitating and fatal disease. The beaks and claws of parrots are usually not affected but poor feathering may occur on any part of the body. The primary and secondary wing feathers may be stunted so that birds are unable to fly. These birds are called ‘runners’. In budgerigars the condition has been called ‘French Moult’. The disease is widespread in wild Rainbow Lorikeet populations with affected juveniles presenting as ‘runners’. Unlike with cockatoos, these young lorikeets may grow normal feathers on subsequent moults and can return to normal. However, they still continue to shed the virus and present a risk to other birds.

Diagnosis

Cockatoos with advanced PBFD have characteristic beak and feather changes and diagnosis can be strongly suspected based on physical examination by an experienced avian veterinarian. Laboratory tests are, however, needed for confirmation. This is particularly so in early cases or with species other than cockatoos where diagnosis may not be straight forward. Typically, testing blood or feathers for the presence of circovirus genetic material using a PCR test as well as a test on the blood to check for antibodies to the virus will be advised.

Treatment and prevention

There are no drugs that have been clinically proven to cure PBFD once a bird has begun to show obvious clinical signs. Some birds may be helped with drugs to improve the immune system; lifestyle changes; anti-viral drugs that have a partial effect against circovirus and other drugs to address any secondary infections. Self-cure sometimes occurs in lorikeets but is rare in other species once obvious clinical signs have appeared. Affected birds are known to continue to shed the virus, so can be infectious to other birds. Circovirus can last many months outside the bird and is resistant to many commonly used disinfectants. Your avian veterinarian can advise you as to the current best treatment and prevention options for your individual bird and circumstances.

Hubby knows more about this and he is at work

We have had one up at our old place SEQld.

I think I have deleted the photo but same colouring.

In my opinion it is a colour mutation not a disease(but I could be wrong) :cry:

King parrots can mate with crimson wings and another couple of parrots.(cant remember what their names are)

Dont forget it is moulting time so displaced feathers are common.

Hubby knows more about this and he is at work

We have had one up at our old place SEQld.

I think I have deleted the photo but same colouring.

In my opinion it is a colour mutation not a disease(but I could be wrong) :laugh:

King parrots can mate with crimson wings and another couple of parrots.(cant remember what their names are)

Dont forget it is moulting time so displaced feathers are common.

I'm really hoping you're right.

thanks for that info Caz.