British Bulldog Prices?

rastus_froggy

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To be honest, we have discussed getting an Aussie instead of a British.

A british is what we want but we had heard the Aussies can have less issues. I haven't researched it yet as my partner wants a purebred British (he is English and said "why would I want anAussie when I can get a british). But we did discuss maybe getting an Aussie with say 86% british in the hope we would et the proper british look without quite so many health issues.

No need for any lectures though as we will not be going through with that option LOL

Wow, how do you get such preciseness with the percentage of breed in a cross bred dog? :laugh:

I have never yet seen an 'aussie' bulldog that looks anything even remotely like a British either. They look more like a boxer if you ask me.

LOL sorry, I was plucking the percentage from thin air. It is not an actual figure. Though, I imagine you could come up with a "reaonable accurate" percentage by deducing parentage, i.e. if one parent is bull dog and one is something else then it would be 50%, then if you took that cross to a pure bb then the result would have say 75% bb.

I don't know,I am not a geneticist and just made that figure up LOL.

I looked at a few websites and have seen a number of aussies who look like purebred bb.

A girl I work with is looking at buying a British Bulldog but has been shocked at the $2800 price tag the breeder was after, is this a normal sort of price or is it a bit high? It was PB with main register papers.

I have no real idea what they usually go for and told her I would ask here.

Unfortunately that is the going price :o:o:o but can vary anywhere between $1500 - $4500.

Dependant on age you could get a mature dog for btwn $1500 - $2500 where as

puppies generally go for $3500 - $4500 & dependant on the breeder that might not

include papers. Tell your friend to save save save & research as much as possible.

Patiences is definately the key, something I know nothing about ;) :D :)

She wouldn't wait and went for the cheaper, quicker option of an Aussie Bulldog :(

To be honest, we have discussed getting an Aussie instead of a British.

A british is what we want but we had heard the Aussies can have less issues. I haven't researched it yet as my partner wants a purebred British (he is English and said "why would I want anAussie when I can get a british). But we did discuss maybe getting an Aussie with say 86% british in the hope we would et the proper british look without quite so many health issues.

No need for any lectures though as we will not be going through with that option LOL

Hate to admit it but I have seen Aussies ;) ;) :eek: u would've sworn were Purebred british.

Unfortunately lana anyone who determines percentage in an ad (especially if they ain't purebred) & this is only my opinion is full of crap, how the hell can anyone determine that sort of percentage :mad:mad:mad. You also have to remember that first an foremost an Aussie is a crossbred mutt the potential puppy you buy could have 2 or 3 different breeds in it with all these breeds each carrying there own health issues.

:laugh: :D ;) to for deciding against that option & I 100% agree with ur partner why buy a replica when you can have the real thing.

Oh yea totally know about the potential for health issues etc. We didn't go to far into it though, I don't even know what they chuck in the mix with the BB.

Yea, we are def happy to get a purebred one day. Especially my OH, he has wanted one for as long as we have been together (12 years) and we have done lots of research etc. I love them too but not quite as much as the OH LOL. He is even very specific on the look he wants LOL. It has to be red and white (I am not sure if the colour is called red) with the majority of the face and head being white. We might need to start looking now lOl

Going by the "vetting owners" thread, I am a little worried that when it comes time to find a breeder and our new puppy that we won't get past the first stage LOL

A bit off topic but if anyone here is looking for a BB female I have one available 2 years old vacc sterilised etc.

Please email me

[email protected]

if intersted in providing a home for this terrific dog who needs a home due to tragic circumstaces ( No rescue groups) just a great home.

post-9555-1277130886_thumb.jpg

Edited by Wazzat Xolo

A bit off topic but if anyone here is looking for a BB female I have one available 2 years old vacc sterilised etc.

Please email me

[email protected]

if intersted in providing a home for this terrific dog who needs a home due to tragic circumstaces ( No rescue groups) just a great home.

emailing you now:)

BBs seem to average about 5 or 6 pups per litter, some having up to 9, from looking at the breed records.

Well, that is a surprise; I have always been lead to believe that a BB produces 3 pups at the most.

Edited by Moselle

If breeders can get people to pay those prices, then good for them. There doesn't seem to be a shortage of buyers who will happily fork over big bucks for a dog, but like someone else said, high price tags on pups lends itself to being very, very attractive to BYB's. And they tend to "breed" more of the same....more BYB's, more poorly bred dogs but still with big price tags and there are still people flocking to pay it. Even crosses go for heaps of money, much more than the average pedigree pup would sell for.

So just cause people are prepared to pay x amount for a purebred dog justifies the breeder to take advantage of that? :mad As for crosses going selling for more than the average pedigree pup ? Not so sure about that, in fact I beg to differ. :champagne: I paid $1500 for my cavalier and I haven't seen any crossbred dog selling for that kind of money.

Edited by Moselle

I have been doing research on bulldogs for awhile now because I was considering one but settled on a Frenchie instead :mad

Puppies go anywhere between $3000-5000. A breeder told me the price was high because it's not a common breed and they don't have many puppies, plus most if not all births have to be done via caesarian as well. This particular breeder also told me that the most she's had in a litter was four, and she decided to keep 2 females for breeding because she doesn't like breeding the mature dogs as many times as other breeds.

Also, I believe bulldogs are an expensive breed to care for and maintain, which may put off backyard breeders who breed for a quick buck and the general popularity of the dog as a breeding dog.

Why would BB be an expensive breed to care for and maintain? Crikey, I would hope that after having paid such a stiff price for a dog you should not have to continue walking around with your hand on your wallet all of the time and besides which, isn't that the whole idea of health testing? :champagne:

Health testing can only do so much, BBs like any other living creature will sometimes fall victim to the SHIT HAPPENS fairy.

All Breeders can do is test use the information at hand and breed to the best of their ability.

If you want a lifetime guarantee that nothing will fail buy a stuffed toy.

If breeders can get people to pay those prices, then good for them. There doesn't seem to be a shortage of buyers who will happily fork over big bucks for a dog, but like someone else said, high price tags on pups lends itself to being very, very attractive to BYB's. And they tend to "breed" more of the same....more BYB's, more poorly bred dogs but still with big price tags and there are still people flocking to pay it. Even crosses go for heaps of money, much more than the average pedigree pup would sell for.

So just cause people are prepared to pay x amount for a purebred dog justifies the breeder to take advantage of that? :mad As for crosses going selling for more than the average pedigree pup ? Not so sure about that, in fact I beg to differ. :champagne: I paid $1500 for my cavalier and I haven't seen any crossbred dog selling for that kind of money.

breeders can charge what they like. They aren't regulated, they don't have to justify their prices to anyone and if people are willing to pay hihg prices, more power to the breeder.

Lots of pedigree dogs are sold for $500-$1500, check my recent thread on pedigree puppy prices. And many many mutts are sold for over $1000. I have seen bulldog crosses advertised for $1800. Aussie bulldogs, which are nothing more than mutts sell for $1500+.

So just cause people are prepared to pay x amount for a purebred dog justifies the breeder to take advantage of that? :worship: As for crosses going selling for more than the average pedigree pup ? Not so sure about that, in fact I beg to differ. :champagne: I paid $1500 for my cavalier and I haven't seen any crossbred dog selling for that kind of money.

I saw "PURE" Siberian Malamute puppies going for $1600 at a local Pets Paradise............... I guess that doesnt count as a crossbred in my area :mad

I think some breeders of purebred dogs would like to be one of the very few who breed a specific breed of dog, and they want to keep it that way too. This may be the reason for it being difficult for newbies to enter the show dog scene.

Great business if you are one of the few in the whole country and your breed is in demand. The whole country wants your dogs even at $3000.

So just cause people are prepared to pay x amount for a purebred dog justifies the breeder to take advantage of that? :cry: As for crosses going selling for more than the average pedigree pup ? Not so sure about that, in fact I beg to differ. ;) I paid $1500 for my cavalier and I haven't seen any crossbred dog selling for that kind of money.

nah them breeders should just sell pups at a set price,

same for those vets that are open all hours just because an owner is prepared to administer veterinary attention at 2 am Sunday doesn't justify the vet to take advantage of that!!

what an outrage!!

Im appalled.

:grouphug:

How long have you been breeding Bulldogs for?

How long have you owned the breed?

No one deliberately tries to lose money, but it is not about making money in the first place. Unless that is what you and others do.

Its about improving the breed. A breeder may get one puppy, they may get ten. Of course if that one puppy has good potential then they are going to have a loss because they are going to keep it. What do they do about it?(well the dedicated breeders anyway) They carry on and put it down to better luck next time if there is a next time.

Very rarely do Bulldog breeders break even.

There is no Bulldog puppy in this country worth $3,000.00

Everyone is entitled to their opinion.

To be honest I dont give a rats arse if people pay that price. Its their money.

But that price is exactly why BYB do what they do.

They have pushed up the price. Quite simple really.

Of course it is not going to deter the BYB.

When they have litter after litter, and very rarely keep anything except to carry on with so a year down the track that bitch can breed.

I have seen alot of beautiful Bulldogs over the last 30 years. I have also met alot of people that breed for the money. They have no idea what they are doing with pedigrees, or breeding type to type.

They have a dog, they have a bitch.

They know they can sell the puppies for x amount of dollars.

Hence my first post on this subject.

I have no problem with people disagreeing with what I say but please dont turn around and tell me that we should be breeding for the money.

Or in otherwords..I personally dont give a damn whether or not a litter of puppies I breed makes money.

I look upon my hobby of owning dogs as just that. It is not a business to me.

What everyone else does is up to them

If I can improve the breed to make their world happier, and if I can breed an excellent example of the breed then that is what I thrive for.

;)

Edited by Fleuri

I think some breeders of purebred dogs would like to be one of the very few who breed a specific breed of dog, and they want to keep it that way too. This may be the reason for it being difficult for newbies to enter the show dog scene.

Great business if you are one of the few in the whole country and your breed is in demand. The whole country wants your dogs even at $3000.

Stupidity, Idiocy, and a penchant for kicking tyres

are the main barriers to entry

(but not always!!!)

The prices of some of the so called DD's I have seen advertised beat many of the pure bred prices hands down, Labradoodles and Spoodles , cavoodles and schmoodles, cockerpoos and Jugs aaaah I think some of the pure breed breeders have missed a golden opportunity. Change the name to something totally ridiculous and sell it for a small fortune.

I could buy a flash TV for the price one of my clients paid for a Golden Doodle. ;) :grouphug:

Bulldogs aren't rare. Check the breed listings on DOL, there's 236 profiles, 170 breeders, 14 puppy notices and 5 mature dogs for sale....not rare at all, just expensive.

Rare doesn't always mean desirable either. Many rare breeds sell for much, much less than you'd expect.