British Bulldog Prices?

rastus_froggy

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh yea totally know about the potential for health issues etc. We didn't go to far into it though, I don't even know what they chuck in the mix with the BB.

Yea, we are def happy to get a purebred one day. Especially my OH, he has wanted one for as long as we have been together (12 years) and we have done lots of research etc. I love them too but not quite as much as the OH LOL. He is even very specific on the look he wants LOL. It has to be red and white (I am not sure if the colour is called red) with the majority of the face and head being white. We might need to start looking now lOl

Going by the "vetting owners" thread, I am a little worried that when it comes time to find a breeder and our new puppy that we won't get past the first stage LOL

Keep in mind you will find it almost impossible to find one with such specifics. Breeders do not tend to care for you choice of colour, they pick the pup out for you based on which one is going to be most suited to your lifestyle/personality, they have the pups best interest at heart, not your preference for colour. When I went looking for my pup I said I did not care about colour, I will love, adore her & be the happiest person in the world just to have her in my life :laugh: Of course it just so happened that she turned out to be gorgeous & the pick of the litter in me eyes :laugh:

I think some breeders of purebred dogs would like to be one of the very few who breed a specific breed of dog, and they want to keep it that way too. This may be the reason for it being difficult for newbies to enter the show dog scene.

Great business if you are one of the few in the whole country and your breed is in demand. The whole country wants your dogs even at $3000.

Bulldogs aren't rare. Check the breed listings on DOL, there's 236 profiles, 170 breeders, 14 puppy notices and 5 mature dogs for sale....not rare at all, just expensive.

Rare doesn't always mean desirable either. Many rare breeds sell for much, much less than you'd expect.

YEAH YOU ARE RIGHT. 170 BREEDERS DOES SOUND LIKE A LOT, COMBINDED WITH 14 PUPPY NOTICES AND 5 MATURE DOGS, PROBLEM IS SOME WILL BUY THESE BB PUPPIES AND GO, THERE IS A QUICK BUCK TO MAKE HERE, SO OUT OF THAT 170 BREEDERS ALOT ARE PROBABLY SITTING IN THE BACKYARD BEING BRED, SO YOUR PUPS ARE NOT COMING FROM SHOW STOCK.

I have been showing and breeding for nearly 20yrs in that time I have had 7 litters, I breed for myself for the ring not the puppy buyer, this is not a breed to get rich from, I'm sure I would be richer without them in pocket terms.

My first pup was purchased for $900 -$1200 in the early days, do I think that a BB pup is worth $3000????

YES, they are a special breed, do your research as they are not for everyone, my first one had OCD the second died 11days after purchase and the third died before 12mths, in saying this I do not see the same probs today, so we are heading in the right way with healthier dogs.

In the past my mature dogs have been free to only the best homes, there is no price you can put on a bulldog that you have reared.

YEAH YOU ARE RIGHT. 170 BREEDERS DOES SOUND LIKE A LOT, COMBINDED WITH 14 PUPPY NOTICES AND 5 MATURE DOGS, PROBLEM IS SOME WILL BUY THESE BB PUPPIES AND GO, THERE IS A QUICK BUCK TO MAKE HERE, SO OUT OF THAT 170 BREEDERS ALOT ARE PROBABLY SITTING IN THE BACKYARD BEING BRED, SO YOUR PUPS ARE NOT COMING FROM SHOW STOCK.

Out of the 236 profiles, an large percentage of them are Champions, Grand Champions, BISS etc and if they're not, there are others with the same prefix that are. So I'd say on the DOL breed listings, they mostly ARE show stock.

And only registered breeders can advertise puppies on DOL.

Out of the 236 profiles, an large percentage of them are Champions, Grand Champions, BISS etc and if they're not, there are others with the same prefix that are. So I'd say on the DOL breed listings, they mostly ARE show stock.

Yes you are right I remember my first one thinking it was very special, it had Champs, Imports, I counted them all, so are you saying if it has these things in the background its all above board?? Any one can get a prefix.

I have been doing research on bulldogs for awhile now because I was considering one but settled on a Frenchie instead :cheer:

Puppies go anywhere between $3000-5000. A breeder told me the price was high because it's not a common breed and they don't have many puppies, plus most if not all births have to be done via caesarian as well. This particular breeder also told me that the most she's had in a litter was four, and she decided to keep 2 females for breeding because she doesn't like breeding the mature dogs as many times as other breeds.

Also, I believe bulldogs are an expensive breed to care for and maintain, which may put off backyard breeders who breed for a quick buck and the general popularity of the dog as a breeding dog.

Why would BB be an expensive breed to care for and maintain? Crikey, I would hope that after having paid such a stiff price for a dog you should not have to continue walking around with your hand on your wallet all of the time and besides which, isn't that the whole idea of health testing? :laugh:

Bulldogs are sensitive to heat and to cold, so you can't just buy one and keep it outside in the garden when you're out as compared to other breeds. In summer I would think you'd have to keep the air-condition running for a very long time. I think the breeder I talked to mentioned that as soon as it gets hotter than 26 degrees, you need A/C on ASAP. They're also prone to hyperthermia and over-heating which could lead to death if not properly monitored. It gets expensive to have the air-conditioning or heater running a lot, and in Melbourne 40 degree heat, oh boy! :laugh:

Yes you are right I remember my first one thinking it was very special, it had Champs, Imports, I counted them all, so are you saying if it has these things in the background its all above board?? Any one can get a prefix.

No, I'm saying that of the 236 breed listings on Dogzonline, most of them are Champions, Grand Champions or BISS, or dogs with the same prefix are. They ARE show stock, and among them are breeders who list their puppies for sale on DOL.

Bulldogs are sensitive to heat and to cold, so you can't just buy one and keep it outside in the garden when you're out as compared to other breeds. In summer I would think you'd have to keep the air-condition running for a very long time. I think the breeder I talked to mentioned that as soon as it gets hotter than 26 degrees, you need A/C on ASAP. They're also prone to hyperthermia and over-heating which could lead to death if not properly monitored. It gets expensive to have the air-conditioning or heater running a lot, and in Melbourne 40 degree heat, oh boy!

How did they cope before a/c became standard? It's only in the last 10-15 years that aircon has become a standard fixture in most homes.

I have been doing research on bulldogs for awhile now because I was considering one but settled on a Frenchie instead :laugh:

Puppies go anywhere between $3000-5000. A breeder told me the price was high because it's not a common breed and they don't have many puppies, plus most if not all births have to be done via caesarian as well. This particular breeder also told me that the most she's had in a litter was four, and she decided to keep 2 females for breeding because she doesn't like breeding the mature dogs as many times as other breeds.

Also, I believe bulldogs are an expensive breed to care for and maintain, which may put off backyard breeders who breed for a quick buck and the general popularity of the dog as a breeding dog.

Why would BB be an expensive breed to care for and maintain? Crikey, I would hope that after having paid such a stiff price for a dog you should not have to continue walking around with your hand on your wallet all of the time and besides which, isn't that the whole idea of health testing? :laugh:

Bulldogs are sensitive to heat and to cold, so you can't just buy one and keep it outside in the garden when you're out as compared to other breeds. In summer I would think you'd have to keep the air-condition running for a very long time. I think the breeder I talked to mentioned that as soon as it gets hotter than 26 degrees, you need A/C on ASAP. They're also prone to hyperthermia and over-heating which could lead to death if not properly monitored. It gets expensive to have the air-conditioning or heater running a lot, and in Melbourne 40 degree heat, oh boy! :laugh:

I have no problems whatsoever with Winnie, she did not so much as pant last summer on the 35+ days, she has had no problems at all with cold weather, she goes for a 30 min walk every day of the week with no problems, she has no eye problems, no breathing problems etc etc .. we took her on a 2.5km walk at Ruffey Park a couple weeks ago and to top it off she is quite the gardner :laugh:

She has been no different to any other family dog I have owned in the last 30 years except she drools when hubby eats Doritos :cheer:

10-15 years ago they did not have severely squashed faces and restricted airways.

The dogs of 10-15 years ago are the image of the dogs today. I don't know where you came up with that theory

Any bulldog that cannot cope with 26 degree's is not worth having. Like any breed there is good and bad and degree's of tolerance.

Popularity and the lure of the almighty dollar has not done the breed any favours however if you are patient and do your research there are some great long lived healthy lines of bulldogs out there.

So is it right to say that not all the pups with Champion,Grand Champion are healthy pups? Is it hard to find healthy pups in BB? I don't know, I am not a breeder?

I just think some breeds are expensive, example British bulldogs, Scottish Terriers, Sealyham Terrier and , some mini Schnauzers too.

I saw a maremadoodle in the paper on the weekend for $1500 now that is Bloody expensive and thats a cross breed!!

I am sure the Bulldog prices ( as would most Pure Bred Prices) reflect the hard work and time some breeders have put into their lines and no doubt their blood sweat and tears as well.

I saw a maremadoodle in the paper on the weekend for $1500 now that is Bloody expensive and thats a cross breed!!

I am sure the Bulldog prices ( as would most Pure Bred Prices) reflect the hard work and time some breeders have put into their lines and no doubt their blood sweat and tears as well.

10-15 years ago they did not have severely squashed faces and restricted airways.

Maybe 100-150 years ago they didn't.....I think they had longer legs back then too. But 10-15 years is only 2 or 3 generations and it takes more than that to get those extremeties.

:cry::(

Uhm OK

Ch Wybong Just Hooper BIS Sydney Royal 1980 what did he look like to you, he certainly looked like a BB to me

and that was a little more than 10 -15 years ago.

I agree with the essence of what you are saying, just not the time frame.

It has definitely been proven that many brachy breeds have been bred for features that are to the extremes and are incredibly damaging to the health of the breed, but it has happened over the last 50 years or so.

Bulldogs and Pugs are an expensive breed to own and maintain.

To my knowledge, Bulldog prices reflect the fact that they are hard to breed. The greater majority require ceasar births and they have trouble mating. I understand there is a BB breeder who is working very hard to rectify this and he has been bashed in the show ring becuase of it.... such a bizarre state of affairs.

Edited by ~Anne~

To my knowledge, Bulldog prices reflect the fact that they are hard to breed. The greater majority require ceasar births and they have trouble mating. I understand there is a BB breeder who is working very hard to rectify this and he has been bashed in the show ring becuase of it.... such a bizarre state of affairs.

Why would breeders and exhibitors do this to a person? Please elaborate. I am not asking you to name names, would just like to know why this is happening. Now unless his breeding ethics are shonky or he is breeding away from preserving a true to type Bulldog then I would be at a loss to know why people would do this

If you are referring to the person I think you are referring to I would really love to hear all about him being "bashed in the show ring"

eta How long has this person been breeding for? or showing?

Edited by stonebridge

The fact that I said 'I understand' conveys that I do not know them personally. I recall looking at their website some time back when someone first alerted me to them. The website stated quite clearly that they were being penalised in the ring I recall and that it was taking time for acceptance (or words to that effect). I am sure someone will point you in the right direction of who they are. :laugh: