English Springer

paddles

Hi, I have two lovely English Springers, Fred and Sophie, Recently I decided that I would buy a pair of clippers and learn to groom them myself. Groomers of the world, your jobs are safe!!!! so at the end of the day, thier ears have been clipped over (I found a grass seed, and decided that I would rather remove the hair entirely to ensure that there are no more, although, I did start out just clipping the underside of the ear, to allow air movement to try to prevent ear infection, I ended up with bald (So to speak) ears, now they sort of look funny with the ears so short, and the body hair so long, once before I clipped them over entirely, with a no 5? blade, but I am wary because I have heard that some breeds don't do well with clipping (I used to own a sheltie, which came from sheltie rescue, and his coat was awefull, and a groomer once told me it was because he'd been clipped, and you shouldn't clip a double coated dog....)

So is there a reason not to clip them over entirely, for both grooming and heat purposes. (In summer they just live inside with the airconditioning, If I can't stand it, then they don't have to) so I can't totaly say that the heat of summer is a plausable reason.

Whilst they do get brushed (I'm not a total slacker) I can't say that I am fanatical about it...

post-5154-1257672552_thumb.jpg

From the picture it looks like they have beautiful coats! but its hard to tell..if their coats lay nice and flat, if it came into my salon i would absolutely not clip them, but suggest a strip out instead. However, having said that, you have clipped them before and their coats have grown back very nicely, so there MAY not be any harm in clipping them again...a #7f looks extremely nice on Springers, and seeing you shaved the ears already, a #7f would look really nice IMO

how old are they?

Keep in mind, while you have clipped them before and it grew back nice, it may not be the same as you continue to clip them. However, having said that, i have clipped off springers several times and they have still grown back beautifully.But i have found that in some areas the hair is thicker because of the undercoat. But thats just been my experience...

I've clipped a number of springers in my time and I've never run into any coat troubles. It has always grown back the same. I have been told that sometimes coat quality changes when the dog has been desexed, but this has never happened in my experience. I've clipped fine coats and quite thick coats, and not run into the problem.

A sheltie on the other hand - hell no! You'd have to beg me to clip a double coated dog (unless the coat was matted beyond repair).

both are desexed, Fred was done at 3mths, and Sophie 8mths (we got her at 8mths) I'm trying to think if that photo was taken before or after they were clipped, I think before... Ever noticed how hard it is to get a good photo of 2 brown and white dogs, and be able to tell that there are 2 dogs there? LOL

There coats are .... Hmmm, ok, because I don't groom excessively, I can't say how brilliant they could look, I wash every couple of mths, dependent on stink (They are inside dogs) brush once a week, unless I find something that needs tending (I check for grass seeds daily) and obviously if I come across a matt, or knot,I comb it out. but they are primarily kids dogs....

I think I'll go ahead and clip them tomorrow...

Oh, they are approx 20mths

this is sophie, the day after we got her... :love:

post-5154-1257675178_thumb.jpg

Edited by paddles

I personally wouldn't do it.

I would invest in a Mars coat king type undercoat rake and thin all the undercoat out with that. They will be cooler than just clipping it off and leaving all the undercoat in but shortening it.

It is highly likely that the coat will grow back fuzzier, which in turn will attract more grass seeds.

A bit of time invested will have a dog that looks stunning and doesn't attract grass seeds etc.

How old are the kids? Are they capable of doing all the grooming? If not then I am afraid it is all up to you.

I have a mars comb, and regularly use it, I think you are right, another go over withthe mars comb will do the job, the hair on the ears will grow out soon enough,

One thing that I did notice with the ears, is that there were crusty? bits at the bottom of the ears, no sores on the ears, but something that would have happened eventually, what gets me, is I comb out the ears regularly (Looking for grass seeds) yet when I clipped them, I found a couple of matts, and as I said these crusty bits (Thier ears get wet when they drink) It's one thing to give a clip every now and then, but I like the long hair/ spaniel look (After all, I chose English springers for a reason, well it was temperment mainly, but you know what I mean)

should I just sissor the ears with the thinning scissors regularly? and trim the length? (There was 2 1/2 inch length hair on the top of the ear) and obviously I was not keeping them combed out enough. and it's really hard to use the mars comb on the ears! not to mention, that they don't like it when you pull hair on their ears.

I just scissor the feet

I'll go against the flow.

I live on a 25 acre property. For at least half of the year, I have terrible issues with grass seeds and revolting sticky weeds.

My show dogs don't get to have free range time except in one of the paddocks that is kept short and largely weed free. The others (American Cockers) are shaved down and can do as they please.

Depending upon the dog, I may or may not clip off the saddle coat. If I have intentions of growing the dog back in, I leave it natural. The others at some times of the year have a modified puppy trim where I leave the fullness on their legs and sides, but I clip up underneat their bellies, inside their armpits and back legs and shave their back coats short and only leave minimal feathering on ears.

With a bit of work, even these could be grown back in successfully and I haven't noticed any difference in texture. Thickness maybe, but not texture or coat type.

I have also grown a fully shaved down adult back into show coat, shown him successfully to his title and an All Breeds Best In Show. And he was shaved TO THE SKIN prior to entering quarantine as a 7 year old.

Mars all over & the ears should make no difference.They will except it .

Where do you brush ??table/floor???

Whem we groom pet spaniels all the inside is clipped out tight,clipped down to normal show length & then you can leave fluffy ears(clip off with a #5,

Clip a belly strip & depending on how much belly coat scissor it shorter.

All my retired setters still sport there show coat but in pet length once a certain age BUT you can easily maintain the look with ease.

Whilst you can certainly clip all over a good top coat is so easy to maintain & way easier than having to clip.

Some spribgers dont get heavily coated so scissoring back is very easy.

You can clip the feet out for ease

i find the only part of a clipped springer to grow in thicker is the brown parts of the coat, even then it isn't to bad. The springers I groom get done 2 or 3 times a year and aren't heavy coated after years of clipping.

Sometimes there ears can get crusty from eating or chewing bones. DO they have snoods for eating? The water will make the botton of their ears a little stiff and stuck together, but it is ususally food and bones that get the ears really mucky.

A clip out under the belly sounds like a good idea, and a good trim back of the feet, so they look like they have a reasonable coat, but less hair to groom out. I have seen Borders done like that and they still look good, but less coat for seeds.

Good luck

Ok, thank you all for your advice....

I'm looking at them now trying to decide what to do, maybe clip out thier bellys? leave the rest, I don't know...

I groom on a table, when seriously working at it, but tend to sit on the lounge room floor with them of an evening to check ears, feet etc, and have a comb and brush with me, but that is not serious grooming, more just checking and cuddling (We all need a cuddle every now and then)

Sophie has had matts under her armpits before, and it is very hot and humid up here (Echuca) they also have a water tub which they lay/wade in, as well as regular trips to the river and I worry that she gets matts which in turn never dry out leading to sores, she even gets matts on the tops of her ears, she seems to get a lot of fluff? on her.... oh well, here comes the mars again... Ignore the yelps from Fred :love: