How Do I Remove Staples?

Kaz

Well my Staffyx got into a punch up 10 days ago and I had to take him to an emergency vet for a small but deep laceration.

Unfortunately he got stapled instead of stitched and I've never removed staples before.

Any advice appreciated :thumbsup:

Please just take the dog back to the vet!

People should not attempt to remove staples when they don't have a clue what they are doing.

It shouldn't be an expensive vet visit - just takes a few minutes and at least the vet will check on the healing at the same time.

The tool they use to remove them crimps the staple down in the middle & up and out at the edges. If you try & take them out without the specific tool you can cause tearing, or make them tighter, which can require surgical removal.

It's one of those things that's very simple, but only if you have the correct equipment!!! :thumbsup:

Dont attempt to remove them yourself. Skin staples need a particular type of removal tool otherwise as you will not be able to remove them and cause the dog pain. As the staple goes in the gun changes the shape so that the ends of it go under the wound to hold the skin together so in effect it turns into a rectangular shape just as it does when you put it into paper. You might cause tissue damage by trying with ordinary tools

Bring your dog around- my poodle chews them out for free- practiced on his own 20-odd staples :laugh:

Our vet includes removing staples as part of the initial service.. so is free.

Removing staples is a good chance for vet to check the wound is healing properly without complications (for the average person).

Do you know any vet or human nurses who could 'acquire' a staple remover for you?

As previous post- you need the right staple-removing tool- and it's not the same as the stationery type ones.

You need the staple removery tool.

For anyone that works in a vet clinic - you do not want to be the person that loses the staple remover. Your head will roll :laugh:

Gees Rappie you guys need to buy yourselves a few sets. You know you can get disposible ones don´t you? These days they discharge people from hospital with their own staple remover so they can take it to the GP surgery to have them removed (even though most GP surgeries have several of them!)

You need the staple removery tool.

For anyone that works in a vet clinic - you do not want to be the person that loses the staple remover. Your head will roll :thumbsup:

Gees Rappie you guys need to buy yourselves a few sets. You know you can get disposible ones don´t you? These days they discharge people from hospital with their own staple remover so they can take it to the GP surgery to have them removed (even though most GP surgeries have several of them!)

i know this one real well. every time my son came out of hospital with staples in his leg we would get a set(.After 45 ops) We would say to them keep them, my g.p. got so used to me having them, he went out and bought a spare set.....

Edited by sandra64