Ear Problems

voloclydes

if i think leo has a grass seed in his ear...(yes i will get a vet appointment for tomorrow) can i flush the ear with something....

i have peroxide in the cupboard (as a anti septic and that about all) i have normal kitchen stuff like salty water... or i only have another anti fungal/bacterial shampoo.(not malesab)....

it appers to be a bit bloody and irritated, wanted a short term fix.. not really rubbing or scratching frantically.

thanks for the tips!

i noticed bloody type splashes on his head... because he's white it shows..

inside was worse.. i wiped it with a cotton ball... i could not find a cotton bud... no smell...seems less red now... maybe just dust....not sure that a pic will show it. but will try.

dust could cause it

as a bigger dog it scratching... he could of hurt it.

I'd leave it be until he sees the vet tmw (unless you can see a grass seed).

Flushing it could cause more harm than good, not knowing exactly what the problem is.

Could be infection, foreign body (e.g. grass seed), mites, ???

I prefer the diluted Malaseb rather than EpiOtic if the vet suggests something to clean the ears with.

thanks folks he's not really shaking and rubbing, so think it's maybe the heat this morning...really hot here.

he could have gotten hot and sweaty while i was out... then scratched the hell out of it.

i have never seen malesab on sale anywhere... where do you lot get it?

he's not worried it or even shook his head since i first posted about it.. appears not to be in pain....

we have no real after hours vet, but having to call him out a second time in a week would almost be embarrassing if it turns out not to be serious. if he were in pain and rubbing ear it would mean infection or something inside.

i cleaned the ear with water and it seems not to have any inflammation or any more sign of blood. there should be if it is infected?

You can try gently massaging the base of the ear (externally) to see if it firstly concerns him (looking for signs of pain which could indicate a foreign body), and secondly if you are able to massage it and can hear squelchy moisture sounds, he may have pus down there. You won't see anything by looking with the naked eye as dogs have very long L-shaped ear canals and anything in there is likely to be shaken right down to the bottom almost immediately.

Do not flush or put any liquids into his ear, until he has been examined by a vet, as there may be eardrum damage.

Grass seeds are rife at the moment, so try and get hold of a snood and get your dog into the habit of wearing it when he is outside.

If they do get a grass seed it is best not to put anything down it. At best it makes it harder for the vet to see, at worst if they have a ruptured ear drum you could start all sorts of problems.

Some dogs can get a seed, and if they are quite stoic, appear to not have so much of a problem as they tolerate it really well after the initial ear shaking, lowered ear signs seen initially.

Good luck

Glad you got it sorted out.

It's really better that you see the vet if you're not sure what's going on.

One of my dogs has always been prone to smelly ears/ mild infection.

Mini poodles have floppy ears and small ear canals so can be more prone to this.

The diluted Malaseb 1:50 with warm water works well if his ears become smelly/ mild infection.

He's only needed vet prescribed antibiotics once, before I used the Malaseb 1:50 at the first sign of smelly ears.

Hope you don't get a repeat, but is an economical way to treat a milder infection.

Need to catch it early- you don't want to pour anything onto ruptured eardrums.

I'd probably check over the dogs daily for ears, bits of seeds/grass stuck in their coats as part of normal pats.

they (the doggies) live inside with us, so they get looked at a lot! :thumbsup:

vet said some humid weather and a really hot day sunday with a very bitey sun.... would have caused it to go rampant... from way down inside. being a fair way from vets and not have any 24hr ones makes it tough. first line of defense is keep things under control till vet hours.

vet also said he has an odd shaped ear which "COULD" perhaps contribute... in the future to how it goes. he seems happier...although i don't think he's much different. hardly scratches at all....... he has been a bit of scratcher, vet passed it off as a breed thing.