Western Australian Thread

Lab_Rat

Woohoo, good to see so many other potential newbies who are interested, we can all be tracklayers for each other :( I might have to juggle abit as I got my Canine news in the mail today and alot of Agility trials seem to fall on a Saturday but hopefully we can combine the two activities.

I remember reading somewhere that the great thing about tracking is that dogs both young and old (as in slowing down old) can do it as it is not overly stressful on them. Mind you I have also read that scent work is a good way to tire your dog out if the weather is not good for walking. Hehe, we might all be able to go back to bed after training and not walk the dog. Perhaps if quiet a few live a fair distance from the pineforrest you could team up with someone else in your area and share transport costs.

If anyone is not sure they have a breed suitable for tracking don't be put off, tracking is suitable for ALL breeds including toy breeds.

OK, the highlighted bit now has ME interested!!! :laugh:

When and where is it again?

You should come to the open day, Dougal can smell food 5Km;s from us up the beach so i am sure he will be good at tracking lol!!

I know! :laugh: That's what I was thinking - something he'd enjoy, be good at, and not physically overexerting!

I think he would be great at it. Bit worried that Mason may be a bit too immature to concentrate but we will do the open day and see what he gets up to, if he likes it its only a 5min drive ( unlike every other training) from our place on a saturday morning.

I'm worried about Ruby's "public immaturity" as well, to be honest. I say it as public because at home, she is the proper little lady, so calm and reserved - total opposite to her public self :laugh: I think it only fair I do tracking with Ruby seeing Millie gets the agility, but I still don't know :laugh:

I'm worried about Ruby's "public immaturity" as well, to be honest. I say it as public because at home, she is the proper little lady, so calm and reserved - total opposite to her public self :o I think it only fair I do tracking with Ruby seeing Millie gets the agility, but I still don't know :D

Yip Mason is the same, so calm and sleepy at home, BUT when we go out he has ADHD and is very hyper but if i dont feed him before training and I have treats he does tend to settle and listen to me.

Oh yay Golden Rules.... You can meet my Westrova pup then :o

I am really excited to do this with her, I think she'll love it. She can also be quite hyper so thats all good. She will be coming along with her Cavalier friend Poppy!

Oh yay Golden Rules.... You can meet my Westrova pup then :eek:

I am really excited to do this with her, I think she'll love it. She can also be quite hyper so thats all good. She will be coming along with her Cavalier friend Poppy!

Excellent! That will make it easier for me to spot you :D

You will likely hear us before you see us, my boy gets pretty excited when somewhere new........ :rofl:

Edited by Golden Rules

Emailed Sue with regard to the tracking and while pups can't compete in trials till 6months they are more than welcome to train. Early training is more a game of hide and seek so not too hard for playful pups and early trials are only over 400m so 6month olds and oldish dogs could handle this. Sue started one of her dogs at 8weeks.

There is no need to pre book as they will have plenty of tracking trainers available at the intro, I did mention that we are discussing it on DOL and there could be a few of us turn up.

Looking at the schedule for Agility for April I might have a problem fitting in the tracking (I need longer weekends), wish agility stuck to evening trials abit longer. Will have to see how the intro goes, perhaps it will be okay to miss a couple of classes at the start (sorry Rubystar) if I do scent work at home :D , but still need to learn things like how to handle the lead, reading alone just won't work. Really want to do it but also really want Jenna to continue her Agility. Trouble is I'm greedy, I WANT IT ALL!!! :D

Lucky me with Retrieving classes, tracking classes and agility trials all clashing! :D I think that Tracking might be first priority though cause Lincoln hasn't got a 'thing' yet (he will also be 6 months by mid tracking season).

Lucky me with Retrieving classes, tracking classes and agility trials all clashing! :D I think that Tracking might be first priority though cause Lincoln hasn't got a 'thing' yet (he will also be 6 months by mid tracking season).

Know how you feel, really wanted to try retrieving with Mason but we have obedience on a sunday morning, I could just change clubs but it would be sad as all the pups he went to pup school with and who are now 11 months old are in his group. I will do the tracking ( if he shows and interest) and the obedience and then next year I may change clubs or skip class during retrieving season and just train obedience on my own as hopefully by then I will have some idea of what I am doing!

Edited to say that in June when Mason turns 14 months we will also be trying out agility and see how he goes with that but lucky its on a wednesday night..... but now I only finish my volunteer work at 6 so will have to see what time class is and if we can make it.

Edited by Masons_mom

Yep it can be abit of a juggling act can't it. I'm not that fussed about missing obedience but will also have Jenna's season to work around and am hoping to breed her. At least tracking is mild enough to do while she is early in her pregnancy.

Still waiting for a Lincon cuddle, are you going to the DOL picnic?

Yep it can be abit of a juggling act can't it. I'm not that fussed about missing obedience but will also have Jenna's season to work around and am hoping to breed her. At least tracking is mild enough to do while she is early in her pregnancy.

Have you done Herding yet? :D :D

Luckily we don't have Earth Dog or Lure Coursing in WA or I'd be in the same predicament as you lot :D

Obedience and agility is confusing enough!

Hehe, why not really mix it up and do tracking too! Hey, are you going to enter Kyzar in the state agility trial 16/17 April?

Dunno yet. Probably will to get some experience up! :D

I'm entering the ACWA midweek one on 17th, thought it would be a good one to do because it's not too big, same time, place and similar atmosphere to training, so will be a good transition hopefully!

Have you done Herding yet? :D :D

Had a couple of goes at it on and off but the distance and cost are a problem for me especially when I can't do much training from home and on top of the other dog costs. Still hope to do it one day but with the cost of everything going up and the wages not going up at the same rate it seems to be getting further out of my reach. Need to win lotto or find a rich husband. Know any nice fellows that wouldn't be upset with the amount of time I like to spend doing dog activities. :rofl: Doesn't have to be super rich just semi.

Dunno yet. Probably will to get some experience up! :D

I'm entering the ACWA midweek one on 17th, thought it would be a good one to do because it's not too big, same time, place and similar atmosphere to training, so will be a good transition hopefully!

Good choice, pretty sure we are in that one too, unless I forgot to enter :D .