Western Australian Thread

Lab_Rat

Yep I made it to the retrieving trial yesterday :laugh: Met some very lovely people and saw/learnt lots so I'm glad I went!

I'm now going to make an effort to go to the June long weekend trial with Ruby - spectating of course!! :cheer: Weekend away of camping, should be fun!! Lots to learn :(

I didn't think lure coursing is allowed in WA? :)

Where is the trial??

Arthur River, about 2 and a half hours away. It goes all long weekend apparently. Do you want to come? Camping out is involved :laugh:

Will need to work out OH work schedule, when is the long weekend in June?? We dont have any camping gear, could maybe come for one night though.

Can someone please help me figure out what memberships I need? Leila is from a registered breeder and has been sold to us on the limited register to be transferred when she has been sterilised. I have her sterilization certificate from the vet and will be getting in touch with our breeder. I wouldnt mind doing some obedience/agility maybe tracking at some later stage (once we get past the basic obedience).

As Amy said. But I dont think it is very ethical for the breeder to hold onto the papers until you have her sterilised. After all they are only limited registration papers, you couldnt register a litter from her anyway so i dont understand why they are holding the papers. They should just give you the papers after you purchase the dog and then give you a rebate when the dog is desexed if they want to encourage you to have her desexed.

I will more than likely hold on to my pups papers until they are sterilized, unfortunatley not everyone follows through with what they agree to at time of purchase even after signing a contract. An agreement similar to Mirrawees is under consideration.

I have see a pet shop show a copy of limited register papers for one of the parents of the pups that the pet shop was selling. The breeder was horrified to find out that not only had this bitch been bred from and the ofspring were being sold in a petshop, but that her limited register paperwork for the mother was being shown. These pups were bred from a bitch that was to be sterilized and no health testing was done on her, the father or the ofspring(in petshop) but the Prefix of the breeder of the bitch would be the one people would affiliate with these pups if anything went wrong with them, not the person who actually bred the limited register bitch. That is just one example of why breeders are starting to hold back papers till they are sure new owners have fullfilled the sterilization requirement.

Also many people don't understand the difference between limited register and Mains when they go to buy a puppy so unscrupulous people can fool them into believeing they are getting a pedigree pup by showing both parents limited register papers. Just check the local dog adds in the paper, ie pedigree cavalier/pug X , registered RottiX, purebred pedigree Chihauhau (registerd with canine? no!) I for one don't want to make it any easier for them. If I am selling a pup as a pet it is never to be bred from and the terms of me selling that pup to someone is that they sterilize it with in an agreed time period and send proof of same, if they are not willing to do that then they can look elsewhere for a pup.

While I'm not comfortable with sterilizing young pups before they leave like many breeders are starting to do I can fully understand why breeders are starting to do it, withholding papers is hopefully going to encourage peope to stick to their side of the agreement but ultimaitly the only sure way is to sterilize before they leave. I'm not ready to take that ultimaite step yet but if left with no other choice it will be that or not breed at all.

ETA: Pet shop pups were sold for twice the price of Limited register pups that are eye tested, vaccinaited and microchiped and from health tested parents so are purchasers of LR dogs really paying for the papers. Perhaps breeders should charge petshop prices hold on to their paperwork and then offer the price difference back along with papers when they have proof of sterilization.

Edited by ozjen

Yep I made it to the retrieving trial yesterday :rofl: Met some very lovely people and saw/learnt lots so I'm glad I went!

I'm now going to make an effort to go to the June long weekend trial with Ruby - spectating of course!! :) Weekend away of camping, should be fun!! Lots to learn :thumbsup:

I didn't think lure coursing is allowed in WA? :laugh:

Where is the trial??

Arthur River, about 2 and a half hours away. It goes all long weekend apparently. Do you want to come? Camping out is involved :D

Will need to work out OH work schedule, when is the long weekend in June?? We dont have any camping gear, could maybe come for one night though.

June 4th and 5th I think I will be camping (or just sleeping in my car!). June 7 is the holiday day off (Monday).

Is anyone doing the show and go on Sunday?

Which Sunday and where? Is it obedience and/or agility?

At K9 for agility this Sunday (I think) as well as gun dog club show. ST how does the parade work if it starts from pointers? What about Weis?

Champ Show RS :laugh: Gun Dog Club of WA :rofl:

I'll be there valley... i won't really be sitting around much though...

Ah ok, thanks :D The term "show and go" is used for the mock trials for obedience and agility so I got confuzzled :thumbsup:

Is anyone doing the show and go on Sunday?

Which Sunday and where? Is it obedience and/or agility?

At K9 for agility this Sunday (I think)

Not me, got a trial on at GSDA! I didn't know there was an agility show and go on :thumbsup:

I'm going to "rough it" in the back of my car with hopefully an air mattress, lots of big doonas for comfort and warmth, and pillows. But I will have to pee in the bushes, so I really will be roughing it!! :thumbsup: