Deaf Pup

Shortfuse

Hi am new to this site, however I was looking for a little assistance.

I have been offered a pup, which the family were all unanimous in selecting from the litter. However it has come to light that she is deaf, the breeder has taken her for testing and she has 20% hearing results from the BAER testing.

Not knowing too much about deafness in pups I was wondering if a "silent" dog whistle would be suitable for use with her? We live on 50 acres and if she is to bring the cattle from the bottom boundary, then I figure hand signals are going to be out of the question. Obviously hand signals can be used for close work and around the house, I really dont want to see her end up being culled due to this issue.

Any suggestions, experiences would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Steve

I have a deaf cattle dog and he responds really well to hand signals. He is never offlead outside of our backyard though as if he decided to chase something there is no way I could get his attention to come back! and he wouldn't hear cars, other dogs etc. I think in your case, this pup may not be the one for you - if you are looking for a dog that is able to work and be reliable from great distances. There ARE vibration collars out there that you could maybe use to get her attention but I am not sure of their range.

I love my boy and having a deaf dog isn't that bad (actually it's better in some ways - well for us it is :mad ) but he isn't a worker so circumstances are different. She'd make a great pet though if you put in the work initially ;) Good luck with your decision :o

Oh forgot the whistle - I tried one with Diesel and had no response but I think he might be 100% deaf (never had him tested so don't know for sure). He has a great sense of smell though :mad

Maybe investigate the vibration collars :D

Edited by kendall

having a deaf pup presents a unique set of challenges. I'm no expert in silent dog whistles but i would guess these wont be suitable for a deaf working dog. U could try vibration or e collars ( e collar on a very low setting with lots of training in close first) that can work from a distance but not sure of their max working distance. My advice would be if you want a working dog get a one that can hear and let someone else take the deaf pup as a pet that can work in a closer environment. Deaf dogs are lots of hard work and IMO would not be suitable as a working dog.

There are plenty of loving homes that would be willing to take on a deaf dog as a pet

good luck. Someone else may be able to give you the advice you are looking for

:mad

Cheers

MM

I had a foster cattle pup a couple of years ago, it was 6 weeks when I got him and he was rehomed at 5 months. I didn't know he was deaf as he would play with the other dogs and come when calling the dogs... It wasn't until he was out the front with me one day that he ran off and i walked up behind him and i didn't get any reaction. Took him to the vet at 16 weeks for his 3rd vac and they confirmed that he was deaf.

He was rehomed to a lady with another dog as a pet and he is fine.

I would say it would really depend on how much time and effort you have to train the pup and if the pup will be a follower and follow the other dogs around to make him more trainable.

I think for working, a deaf pup/ dog may have problems :mad

I would not like to expose a dog to cattle without ALL its senses intact... hearing AND seeing what the cows are up to could save its life at some stage...

A dog, especially a novice,taking its eyes off the cattle to watch a hand signal is not a good idea !

As a pet- fine... working.. I have grave doubts.

Agree with Persephone.

I had a deaf dog. He was very willing and obedient, and responded to signals. His recall was 99.9% reliable. However, if he was at the end of a 60 acre paddock, he couldn't see the "usual" hand signal, so he had to learn that if I jumped up and down, that was the signal for "come". From a distance, most dogs see larger movements more readily than smaller movements.

In a good season he couldn't see over the grass either.

If you had to jump up and down or windmill your arms, and the dog was driving the cattle to you, they'd probably shy off

My dog was trained to keep an eye on me when he was running about the paddocks. If I called the other dogs, he would come with them, but if he was by himself, or they were at a distance, he kept an eye on me. That would be dangerous for a working dog - liable to be kicked, or run on when he took his eyes off the cattle, and is was surprising just how often my deaf dog would look at me when he was running around. And of course you have to watch the deaf dog too, so you can give the signal when he is looking.

Very problematical, I think.

If the dog has 20% hearing you could find out in which frequencies it can hear in and use a whistle of that frequency.I have had a deaf dally and now have a unilateral deaf dally (deaf in one ear) and they have made terrific pets and both competed obedience. As a pet with the right training a deaf dog is fine.

I also have a BCs that I work) on stock. I can see problems in working stock, particularly cattle where a dog needs to be able to do things like duck under a kick, if the dog is watching you for hand signals rather than its stock. It is also very hard to give hand signals to a dog who is working a couple of hundred metres from you.