Parvo Or Not?

minky

This is a little off the original thread, BUT, we should be displaying the owner's pic and not the animals. In this way, we all would know if we every crossed the path of some of the DOLs, we would receive no empathy just critism and judgment. If we could see the faces to some of these comments I believe these thread would be more mellow and acceptable. We could only hope so.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is a little off the original thread, BUT, we should be displaying the owner's pic and not the animals. In this way, we all would know if we every crossed the path of some of the DOLs, we would receive no empathy just critism and judgment. If we could see the faces to some of these comments I believe these thread would be more mellow and acceptable. We could only hope so.

I agree!

I think you'd be disappointed to find that those who tell it like it is, would say exactly the same thing to your face. I'm one of them :laugh:

I'd have to disagree to a certain extent as many would be open to slander charges. I for one am very strict in my breeding and far from a pf and if anyone were to accuse me straight out of something which I'm not, I would hesitate having charges laid. I also find that some tend to jump to conclusions alot before knowing the facts. I stand by the quote

"TREAT PEOPLE AS YOU WOULD LIKE TO BE TREATED"

Yep, chlorine bleach. Minky, F10 is fine. Vets use a few different things and they al work. ;)

I thought show people only called you a pf if you beat them with something home bred? :eek:

Thanks Jed

:):laugh: ;) :D

I think you'd be disappointed to find that those who tell it like it is, would say exactly the same thing to your face. I'm one of them :laugh:

I'd have to disagree to a certain extent as many would be open to slander charges. I for one am very strict in my breeding and far from a pf and if anyone were to accuse me straight out of something which I'm not, I would hesitate having charges laid. I also find that some tend to jump to conclusions alot before knowing the facts. I stand by the quote

"TREAT PEOPLE AS YOU WOULD LIKE TO BE TREATED"

OT-but as far as slander goes ,when i find the author of a "pic" of a dog i hadnt owned for years, apparently very thin and dirty,sent to every other breeder,with the words " do not sell anything to this woman (me),this is how she keeps her dogs",I WILL be taking them to court for defamation.First heard about it when i got into trailing.Dog in question had been re homed at 2 yrs due to marriage break up,i re homed him to a show exhibitor,breeder and show steward,after that i dont know what happened to him,he was sold to someone in qld i think,where the pic was "apparently" taken.I have never had a dog in poor condition,or dirty,whatever,and can provide 50 refs if required.

I also agree with your Quote Minky-thats what i live by.

And yes,people do jump to conclusions and go on the say so of certain people- its called breed politics :D I tell these people now, "DO I LOOK LIKE I GIVE A ...........".

I have no hesitation in showing my face on here,well,all you hav eto do is look at the name in my avatar-i dont hide :rofl:

I think you'd be disappointed to find that those who tell it like it is, would say exactly the same thing to your face. I'm one of them :)

I second that.

To everyone else....

If you dont like what I say that is your choice.

It is my choice to give my opinion.

Been around the dog show and breed world for a long time.

I tell it like it is.

As I said before...it is the real world out there.

Now

lets get back to the topic on hand shall we.

I had 3 litters of puppies and am loosing them quickly. Out of 19 pups I've lost 8 and have one quite depressed. They are inside and I watch them carefully every day.

To start off I took litter 1 (6 pups) to the Vets on the Monday aged 7 weeks to be vaccinated and microchipped. All were happy healthy pups. Over night I lost one pup on the wednesday, 1 on the Friday, 2 on the Saturday and one today and the last one has the runs and am treating him. they just died with no symtoms or hardly any symtoms except some fluid around the mouth and it was as if they went anorexic over night, I couldn't believe it.

Littler 2 went to the Vets on the Friday for microchip & vaccination aged 6 weeks. On the Monday I rushed one little girl to the vet and he tested for parvo, said it was just a tad over the positive mark. I took her home and was treating her with injections of fluid every 3 hours and antibiotics every 8 hours. Ithas been a week tomorrow since I have been treating her. She is the smallest at 630 gms but hanging in but not playful and deppressed.

I rushed back into the vet on that same day with a boy from litter 3 but the vet said he was fine, no temp etc. Sadly I lost him and his brother yesterday morning and a sister today.

I've been beside myself and have put remaining pups on antibiotics. I treatall with Baycox and am adding glucose to they're water. All seem ok, they are eating and drinking and playing.

Only some had a little of the runs, one was green poo. I'd say the fluid around the mouth was probably vomit/fluid.

Is anyone experiencing the same or have you heard of anything like this? I had a pup die of parvo 3 years ago and her symtoms were so different. She was vomiting, had the most vile smelling runs!

Any help would be appreciated as it's breaking my heart.

Minky :)

Can someone tell me:

1. Can pups carry the virus after being exsposed to it?

2. If so, for how long can they pass on the virus to pass on to other dogs/pups.

thanks

Apart from the one puppy that had a just over the mark positive,after a vac, have I missed where all the other pups have had confirmation that they have the virus??????

Did you have the rest of them tested for anything else as well.

Another Virus, bacteria?

Sadly I lost that little girl "Sadie" last monday after she hung in for 7 days God bless her little heart and soul. The rest of the pups have shown bo signs of sickness and are happy, playful, demanding puppies.

After a dog has recovered from parvo, it sheds the virus for 14 days. ie infectious.

Minky, if they are having a reaction to the vaccine, they wil not give the other pups parvo.

But, the incubation period is 2 - 10 days according to most authorities. 14 according to some, or with a different strain.

If you have a pup with parvo, it is likely that it will have passed the virus to its littermates or other dogs you own.

However, to be safe you should isolate it. It should have separate everything. You should change your clothes when you handle it, and you should discard those clothes (and shoes) whereever "isolation" is. You should then shower and put o clean clothes You should wash anything which has been near the pup in a separate bucket or bowl in a viricide and not let those utensils, toys, bedding anywhere near t he other pups. The mechanical action of soap and water will remove parvo from you. The clothes you wore to handle the pup should be soaked in a bucket with viricide and washed separately from other clothes.

Parvo spreads because the infected dog has already passed it on before you notice, or more than one dog was infected at the same time. And it is very easy to spead it about on your clothes, shoes, hands utensils etc.

That's why you need to know whether t he pups had a reaction to the vaccine, or had parvo or corona virus. It still sounds like a reaction to me.

Also do a time line diary. Date and time of symptoms of each pup, progression of the problem. That will help give you a handle on it, and if you write it down, you will see clearly what happened, and perhaps "how".

Did you take the one who passed last Monday for a pm? That should give you information.

Edited by Jed

I'm going to bet pounds to peanuts your vet used Protec after talking to Tibbiemax's breeder.

Judy has been breeding Tibbies for years and is very knowledgeable in relation to lots of doggy things but particularly Tibbie things. We described what you had been through and she said that it will be the vaccination and it is well known amongst experienced Tibbie breeders to NEVER use Protec on them, particularly when they are under 8 weeks of age AND still drinking from their mother.

She said that they die within 1-2 days of being vaccinated.

I hope that you haven't vaccinated the next litter yet and can insist that your vet brings another brand of vaccination in OR use another vet. Tibbiemax's vet rang Fort Dodge who said that there was no documented evidence but we were reliably informed today that they would have pages of information on it in relation to the deaths of Tibbie pups.

Edited by Trisven13

Minky sorry for the loss of you your beautiful babes.

Firstly I would be getting another Vet.

I would be looking into the vaccine used and the brand and keeping an eye out on the batch number even contacting the manufacturer and reporting your deaths. My Vet tells me there are vaccines and there are other vaccines.

Checking further into the reaction Tibetans have to vaccination as well.

After vaccination of a C3 you can have what the vets refer to as a false positive to a parvo test which is usually done from a swab from the anus or a fresh stool, anytime after 48 hours post vaccination.

I personally don't believe your puppies have passed because of parvo, but before you vaccinate anymore you need some answers.

I had 3 litters of puppies and am loosing them quickly. Out of 19 pups I've lost 8 and have one quite depressed. They are inside and I watch them carefully every day.

To start off I took litter 1 (6 pups) to the Vets on the Monday aged 7 weeks to be vaccinated and microchipped. All were happy healthy pups. Over night I lost one pup on the wednesday, 1 on the Friday, 2 on the Saturday and one today and the last one has the runs and am treating him. they just died with no symtoms or hardly any symtoms except some fluid around the mouth and it was as if they went anorexic over night, I couldn't believe it.

Littler 2 went to the Vets on the Friday for microchip & vaccination aged 6 weeks. On the Monday I rushed one little girl to the vet and he tested for parvo, said it was just a tad over the positive mark. I took her home and was treating her with injections of fluid every 3 hours and antibiotics every 8 hours. Ithas been a week tomorrow since I have been treating her. She is the smallest at 630 gms but hanging in but not playful and deppressed.

I rushed back into the vet on that same day with a boy from litter 3 but the vet said he was fine, no temp etc. Sadly I lost him and his brother yesterday morning and a sister today.

I've been beside myself and have put remaining pups on antibiotics. I treatall with Baycox and am adding glucose to they're water. All seem ok, they are eating and drinking and playing.

Only some had a little of the runs, one was green poo. I'd say the fluid around the mouth was probably vomit/fluid.

Is anyone experiencing the same or have you heard of anything like this? I had a pup die of parvo 3 years ago and her symtoms were so different. She was vomiting, had the most vile smelling runs!

Any help would be appreciated as it's breaking my heart.

Minky :(

Hi Everyone and THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH for your advice, thoughts and support. I am very happy to let everyone know that I haven't had any sick pups or deaths in over a week and a half ;)

My last litter was vaccinated and microchipped yesterday at 8 weeks of age and they were well behaved and got a clear bill of health :rofl:

I must say my heart is still broken over the sad death of my other prescious babies :eek:

Cheers

Minky :(