Chicken Neck Technical Advice Lol

SeeGee

Hi all,

Slowly introducing some raw food to Charlies' diet. I purchased some chicken necks, have bagged and frozed down.

Kept just one out for Charlie to see how he went.....he treated it like a bone. I put it in his bowl, and he picked it up and trotted off with it in his mouth to naw on etc. Is this ok? Am i meant to cut them up into bite size pieces? I have bagged them into approx 3 per bag....is this enough for a meal? Or should i give something else with it? Currently feed him 2 x's a day......

FYI Charlie is a beautiful desexed male 6 month old puppy.

Thank you everyone for your thoughts, opinions and ideas!!

Jacqui :)

If he chews and rips the necks apart like a bigger bone then there is no problem in feeding them whole. Always remember to supervise.

My pugs are little piggies and try to eat a chicken necks whole and end up choking on them. So I don't trust them with whole ones. I cut the chook necks up into bite sized pieces for them.

By the sounds of it he is enjoying them. :thumbsup: Leaving them bigger, particularly if he goes off and gnaws on them is good, its when they swallow them whole its more of a worry. But remember to watch him while he eats it.

If he chewed and gnawed on it rather than tried to gulp, this is great :( . It will help teach him to chew on bones when and if you want to move up to wings or frames.

Our typically gutsy lab (nearly 8 months) tried to gulp when I first gave him necks and wings as a pup and it freaked me out; I did quite a bit of trial and error and now avoid all chicken pieces and only give him frames - or we buy turkey legs from Woolies (gi-normous so he can't gulp) and chop half the meat off - give him the leg and save the meat for another meal, or the best treats in town !

Very normal to treat it like a bone and run off with it, Archie does this also to his special patch of feasting grass. :xmascheer:

Edited by mrs tornsocks

Hi Jacqui, glad that Charlie likes the chicken necks, i have two beagles myself :) im a vet nurse and ive seen lots of dogs have problems with chicken bones from frames- they can splinter really easily. i'd suggest a big raw marrow bone to help clean his teeth, or even a rawhide bone instead (much safer). I used greenies on my beagles, they liked them a lot, but are a bit expensive.

I use chicken frames and turkey necks, lamb flaps and beef bones with my lot. I also worry that chicken necks are a bit small for them - the Stafford inhales his food!

I have never had a problem from feeding those raw bones, just avoid chop bones even raw they are very very sharp.

I use the odd rawhide for a treat, never touched a greenie - I do know that they MUST chew them if they swallow large chunks at all they can cause intestinal blockages.

If he is having a good chew - then perfect, he will have shiney teeth and be happy as larry.

I have seen plenty of problems from cooked bones, only a rare few from raw bones.

My dogs have chicken necks a couple of times a week. I have to watch my girlie, she tries to trot off with them and hide them around the house for later. Kinda gross to find a chicken neck under your pillow at bed time. She does the same with other raw bones, so I make sure I stay near her and herd her back to the bowl if she looks like she wants to "bury her treasure".

I try not to give my guys too many chemically enhanced chew things, so I don't buy greenies or rawhides. Their favourite chewable is a pigs trotter or tail (fresh) or a piece of brisket.

Thanks everyone,

The 2 times i tried Charlie with Greenies he got explosive diarreah. There is no way I'll ever get them again! I know they work well with some people but I just wont go there - twice cant be just a coincidence.

Nekhbet i definitly plan on moving to chicken wings, and will do some investigations on turkey necks and lamb flaps. Definitly learning alot here!

When Charlie has any raw meat or bones he is banished outside til its *over* or *buried* not on my carpet!!!!

Thanks everyone, I really appreciate your responses!!!

Jacqui