Really Reliable Recall

corvus

Dova, We are doing it in the Hills, I am located in strath and the CCC course is located at Balhannah. We are far from ready to do the CGC, but goodluck if you do it. How are you finding the Beyond Basics?

I enjoyed the Beyond Basics too, did it with Izzi & Pebbles at Mt Barker, & looking forward to taking Delta, Alexis came here last week & worked with Pebbles & Delta. My boss just finished the basics class & graduated with her dog Trinket :o.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have the dvd on order :rofl: I'll have to remember to come back and post if we get results.

same here! i am very excited about it arriving - i keep checking the letterbox excitedly, even though i know i only ordered it a few days ago lol

good luck :)

I haven't heard of RRR, any chance you could give me a summary? I have 3 dogs, the older girl never really nicks off anywhere but would probably do as she chooses and the younger two have a brilliant obedience recall and great at most times but have been known to run away flat chat to go for a swim! Damn gundogs! Would love to be able to stop that run for swim drive and get them back!

Yay for the folks that have it on order! It's definitely worth it. It took about 12 months all up for Kivi's recall to get "really reliable", and we had a few setbacks along the way. We have been a bit slack with Erik as he's naturally more inclined to come than Kivi. Kivi still has the odd spitz moment where he doesn't hear or decides he's going to ignore you, but I would put his recall at about 98% reliable. The more you practice, the stronger it gets! Kivi hears his recall now at times when 6 months ago he wouldn't hear it.

It's hard to give a basic rundown, but the three golden rules are to reward big EVERY time the dog comes, only call when you are sure they are going to come, and only call once. There are a lot of little games you play to strengthen the recall, and you split recalls up into everyday recalls and an emergency recall. The idea behind that is so you have a recall you have a lot of control over and can be sure to use only when you have something great to reward with. That's your conditioned recall that eventually your dog doesn't think about whether they should listen to or not. They just come automatically. If you are careful and smart about it, you can condition the recall to the extent that it can overcome instinct, even in dogs with very strong instincts. Kivi will come when called when he's in the middle of chasing something. It's beautiful to behold. :D

I have the dvd on order :D I'll have to remember to come back and post if we get results.

same here! i am very excited about it arriving - i keep checking the letterbox excitedly, even though i know i only ordered it a few days ago lol

good luck :laugh:

I've just ordered mine today and really looking forward to getting it like everyone here :laugh:

I don't have it, but am curious whether it is similar to what Pat Miller suggests in her book Positive Perspectives 2 (for anyone who has both).

I couldn't let Berri off leash when he was younger because he'd just run off and frollick until HE was ready to come back. He's mostly good now, the only time he doesn't come back when I call is when he has to do a number two or have a drink, which is fair enough I guess!

I have the dvd on order :thumbsup: I'll have to remember to come back and post if we get results.

good luck :love:

I've just ordered mine today and really looking forward to getting it like everyone here :)

Mine arrived today, super fast shipping.

no way! i am so jealous :)

lol i am slightly happy though, 'click to calm' arrived for me today, so that is something for me to concentrate on in the meantime :(

:cheer: that the rest of the books and this dvd arrives tomorrow!

yay dvd arrived today, now just waiting on the other books i ordered.

i wonder if we all ended up going through the same us company and if they are looking at this sudden influx of australian addresses lol

I don't know about Pat Miller's but it sounds very like Shirley Chong's method which is here http://www.shirleychong.com/keepers/Lesson6.html

I don't have it, but am curious whether it is similar to what Pat Miller suggests in her book Positive Perspectives 2 (for anyone who has both).

I couldn't let Berri off leash when he was younger because he'd just run off and frollick until HE was ready to come back. He's mostly good now, the only time he doesn't come back when I call is when he has to do a number two or have a drink, which is fair enough I guess!

We started training last night ... and he did brilliantly. Must admit is was in the house and he is normally good in the house but it is a start :o

I was taught to set the dog up to succeed so they get it right & get rewarded then add distractions, you'll have the RRR in no time Tilly :eek:.

I'm just about to send my enrolment form off to Alexis for next years Basics class then probably do the Beyond Basics, did them both with Izzi & Pebbles now looking forward to doing the same with Delta, might see some of you DOLers there :eek:.

• 4 weeks later...

Leslie Nelson's Really Reliable Recall :( The book and dvd arrived just before Christmas and we have been doing the program for 1 week. I am really impressed with the results so far. Even on day 2 i could see a marked improvement. The RRR is an emergency recall but as Leslie said it has also improved Kynan's everyday recall and i can now call him away from the tv when animals are on and call him in when the boys next door are playing basketball and he wants the ball! I highly recommend the book and dvd and think that it should be compulsory reading and viewing for all new puppy and dog owners.

I took my boy to my mothers property for the Christmas break and while she only has stock fences (not dog proof fencing) I allowed him to run around dragging his normal leash ... he was a couple of metres from me (we were playing with his tennis ball) when he got distracted and headed towards some cattle over the other side of the road.

While the road is a very quiet side road, I didn't want him near the cattle ... so I called him and he stopped, looked at me and then came running full pelt towards me. He got lots and lots of praise and some fun play time.

Before starting RRR - I would never have allowed him the freedom to run around without being at the end of a 10 metre lead.

CleanRun have free international shipping on DVDs at the moment - so anyone who is looking to order this dvd might want to have a look there

Arrgghh Why didn't I read ALL the posts before I went off and ordered it. I don't think it is free anymore but it was cheaper than Dogwise. Oh well If it helps with Jenna's recall it would be worth 3 times the amount anyway. :champagne:

How is everyone getting on with the recall training. Can't wait for my DVD to arrive.