Puppy Pooping Everywhere

Bundyburger

We love our little man but he is frustrating us a bit at the moment. Yes we have only had him a week but up until 2 days ago he was telling us when he needed to go outside and would hold until we got the back door open for him.

I take him out every 20mins, he'll do a wee 9/10 on command straight up, so we'll stay out there 10 mins or so to see if he does a poop. He generally doesn't unless we stay outside playing for longer. Take him inside, within 5 mins he's done one.. Today because of the weather it was pee too, even though we kept up the 20 min toilet stops and stood out there till he went.. it's like he has a never ending bladder at the moment and he's not even drinking or eating much.. We went out last night and he held on for the whole 8hrs we were out then went straight outside (after an accident inside in excitement as we were taking him to the door). He also sleeps through the night from 9pm until 5.30am so he CAN hold it..

Should I just start taking him out sooner and try 10 min blocks or what?? It's not like he cannot hold it in, it's like he's forgetting he has to go to the back door..

Also how the hell do I train the OH to pay attention to when the puppy needs to go out.. Most of his accidents are when OH is around and not me! Second he sniffs, he's out the door, OH is just treating him like our other dog then getting angry (not at puppy just in general) when there ends up being a mess because he didn't listen.. He's going to be the one home with him nearly all day from when I go back to work on Wednesday, so I'd hate to see what happens with the toilet training then :thumbsup:

Roll on puppy school on Wednesday night..

Edited by Bundy's Mum

Sounds like its the OH that needs the training!

Every time pup is allowed to poo inside (due to lack of human supervision) it's conveying the message that's OK. Increased accidents inside create more of the same.. this may be the reason puppy is no longer telling you it needs to go out. If you can impress on OH that its HIS fault, not the pups if there's an accident inside that might help. If he'd not blame a baby for pooing it's nappy why blame a baby pup?

On the puppy front, I'd be staying outside longer and possibly dropping the frequency of the trips. If he's taken out on waking, after eating, after play and if he gets sniffy, that's probably enough. If OH will not supervise the pup, it needs to be on a surface that it can poo on OR outside.

But any accident inside will set you back.

There's this

Maybe you need more set times spaced further apart, after meals is always good.

Don't forget to use a command, like "go wee wee's" for example, then praise. Even when pup does it in the right place without your command, use the words of the command you want them to learn then praise.

With my dogs that were trained before I got them, one goes on the "go wee wees" command and the other on "toilet" command :worship:

Puppy House Training Made Easy

By: Steve Davis

If you have recently brought a new puppy into your home then you are embarking upon a relationship with your dog which should prove to be an enjoyable and rewarding experience for you both. There can be no question that the first few weeks will be the hardest and most important weeks in establishing your relationship and setting out the ground rules. Top of the list will be the task of house training your puppy which must begin as soon as you bring him home.

The keys to successful house training are time and patience. Your puppy will require almost constant supervision and when accidents happen, which they will, you must not shout at or punish him. Shouting at or punishing your puppy when he goes to the toilet in the wrong place will only teach him that by going to the toilet he makes you angry. As a result he will try to hold his bowels and bladder to avoid making you angry again and when he can really hold himself no longer he will find a place to hide and go to the toilet which will make house training much more difficult.

With the above key points in mind you will first need to decide which part of your garden or yard you would like your puppy to use as his toilet. Once you have chosen it you must stick to it and always take your puppy to that same spot to go to the toilet.

During the first few weeks your puppy will require almost constant supervision. Establish a daily routine for him which incorporates set toilet times. These should be at least every 2 to 3 hours including first thing in the morning when he wakes up, after every meal, after every play time and before he goes to bed in the evening. At each of the designated toilet times in the daily routine take your puppy to the chosen spot outside your house whilst giving him the “outside” command. Once there if he goes to the toilet say the command “toilet” as he does it and when he has finished praise and reward him. In this way he will learn to associate the “toilet” command with doing his business and in time you will be able to train your puppy to go to toilet on command.

If between set toilet times you catch your puppy doing his business in the house do not get cross with him. Instead, firmly issue the “outside” command and take him to his outside toilet spot as quickly as possible to finish his business while you say the “toilet” command.

Try to reduce the risk of accidents by keeping a watchful eye on your puppy at all times whilst in the house. Look out for the tell tale signs of circling and sniffing the floor which normally mean he needs to go to the toilet. If you spot this behaviour issue the “outside” command and quickly take him to his outside toilet spot. If he goes when you are there issue the “toilet” command and praise and reward him when he has finished.

On the occasions when your puppy does have an accident in the house, including those you do not find out about until some time later, do not shout at or punish him. Simply clear any mess up without a fuss and if possible without him seeing you do it. Make sure you have a supply of deodorising spray or solution which you can apply to the area once you have cleaned it so that all traces of any smell are completely removed. If you do not it is likely that your puppy will find, and use, the same spot again the next time he feels the need to go to the toilet whilst in the house and you are not watching him.

Time and patience with your puppy in the first few weeks are essential. A daily routine and the issuing of repetitive commands which your puppy can learn to associate with actions, coupled with plenty of praise and reward when he gets things right, should enable you to house-train him both quickly and effectively.

Credits for this article:

Author Resource:- Want more help and advice on how to train your puppy? If so, go to

http://puppyanddogtrainingonlinereview.blogspot.com

for further details including access to online audio and visual training material.

Article From http://www.articlecity.com/

ok, am still home til wed so i will just change the frequency and really stick a rocket up OH.. I don't understand why he can't just keep watch.. It's not hard! He 'supervises' but then gets distracted and thats when the problems start.. He will soon work it out when i'm not home to tell him to take puppy out.

Bundys Mum, all I can say is MEN!

Train the OH.

Bundy is fine and normal, dear little boy.

When he is taken out, by whoever, the person MUST wait, however long it takes, for Bundy to go. Then praise him like crazy.

He is going out, sniffing etc. , getting the urge, then taken inside.

It is so hard when one person does the right thing, and another doesn't, confusing for the pup. Consistency is the key. It may seem 'silly', and that the dog should just go when put out etc., but they don't. No point saying that Bundy should, he is a baby and goes when he needs to, he can't hold until the next 'outing'. Don't distract him whilst he is supposed to be 'going' either, no play etc. just concentrate on the job and tell him do wees or the word you are going to use, eventually, when you say the word, he will go! :worship::worship: May take a few months, but it will happen. Makes life easy for trips etc. when they know you want them to go. My spin who has a fantastic bladder, will crouch to look like she is going and do nothing! as she knows I'm waiting for her to go :worship: and she may not need to go.

I still even make sure my girls, now nearly 3 and 4, 'go' before I go out and before they go to bed, even before they go for a walk (saves carry poo! :rofl: ).

Ahh fun.. the latest problem, take outside, do pees on command, stay outside, puppy does poops.. straight inside and pees all over the floor 5 minutes later... Yet if we stay outside longer he doesn't do it again outside.. only once we come back in. So frustrating.. he mainly does this when tired I think.. Sometimes I can let him in, go straight to the lounge and he'll squat and pee right next to me on the floor :rofl:

We start puppy school tonight so hopefully they have some ideas, as his latesthabits have the breeder and I stumped as we can't figure out why he's doing it.

Edited by Bundy's Mum

We do wait long enough, he goes outside and pees, he just then comes in and does it again, it doesn't matter if we are out there for half an hour or an hour.. He only EVER does one pee outside each pee break.

Edited by Bundy's Mum

If he does that, I'll take him back inside, but within 30 seconds again.. I will take him straight back outside again and spend another 10-15 minutes outside again or till he goes to the toilet again.

Of course, praise him senseless for doing his business :rofl:

If he does that, I'll take him back inside, but within 30 seconds again.. I will take him straight back outside again and spend another 10-15 minutes outside again or till he goes to the toilet again.

Of course, praise him senseless for doing his business :rofl:

Yeah I think thats what we're going to have to do I think ;) trick his wee little brain.. bring inside then back out you go :eek: We've been so eagle eyed this arvo that he's been really good.. he's also been wandering straight to the back door when let out of his crate for naps so he can go to the loo :(

• 3 weeks later...

Bundy, I am in the process of toilet training too....we started off really well but alas seem to have the same problems as you..Ughh...situation made worse because I am in a wheelchair and cant quickly pick him up and take him straight outside, it takes me a while to pick him up, manouvre to the door, go out, take him down the ramp and on the grass, set him back down. I feel so disheartened and cant remember it being this hard 13 yo with my Georgie. This little fella goes sometimes every 15 minutes..I am watching for signs of a UTI, but dont think that is the case here.

We do wait long enough, he goes outside and pees, he just then comes in and does it again, it doesn't matter if we are out there for half an hour or an hour.. He only EVER does one pee outside each pee break.

What say above obviously isnt enough for this pup & he has got into the trained routine of coming in.

Unfortunately OH desire not to be more helpful just makes it harder & more confusing for the pup.

Our pups will do many pees & sometimes after one pee you need to do something to break there train off thought & then go back to the toilet command.

Also for some pups the attention of toileting inside is reward alone.

Some will crave the attention of simply being in trouble so maybe look at what attention pup is getting & whether its being over done/under done or maybe to much expectation which is confusing it or the pup simply hasnt fully figured out the toilet routine.

Will the pup have access outside or will your training be reliant on him alerting you to outside?

great advice here :rainbowbridge:

Another thing to look at is what you are doing when the pup wees inside. General advice is to make distracting noises as soon as you seem him start to wee (I quickly say no no no no no in a loud, high pitched but not unfriendly voice) and take the pup outside. In a short time he will understand that 'no no no' means go outside to do the wee, and you can shepherd him rather than carry him. In time this will lead to him going outside by himself.

So ... the important rule here is to take him outside for a wee when he has wee-d inside, to teach him that all of his wees (yes, even the second one :() have to be done outside. The high pitched, loud speaking is to distract him so that he stops weeing until you get him outside.

My youngest dog was like this when he was a pup. Even now (at 14 months) when I take the dogs out for their bedtime wee, he sometimes comes back in then realises he wants to go again and has to be let outside for a second time!

We've had success with toilet training rescue dogs that aren't house trained of all ages, but haven't had any really young pups, but I'd think the same principals could work.

Firstly we keep a leash attached whenever we are with the dog. Just a short leash that we can quickly reach whenever needed without having to pick up or touch the dog. Then we confine it to a small space in the room we spend most of our time in, to begin with. Even a normal sized lounge room gives lots of room to sniff and wee/poop around. You could try blocking off part of the room to make a small space and inside this space have his bedding, water bowl and a bit of room to move around, bigger than a crate area, but not too much room. Then gradually make the space bigger day by day when there have been no accidents.

If we aren't going to be in that room or able to keep a close eye (i.e. cooking dinner, doing the washing etc) we keep the dog attached to us. I tie the leash to myself, either a belt or belt loop, so the dog never gets a chance to be out of my sight but I can do the things I need to. This way I'm always with the dog they don't normally tend to do their business when attached like this and if they do need to I almost always get to see the telltale signs.

As per previous replies we take the dog outside whenever there are telltale signs with and "outside" command and give masses of praise when there we get wee or poo in the right spot. I usually use the command "Toilet" while they are doing it followed by an excited "good toilet!" a play and a pat.

If we do have an "accident" inside and we see them in the middle of it, they get a firm but not scary "no". I believe they need to know you are not happy with them doing it in your house otherwise how do they know not to keep doing the same thing if you don't tell them. They also should not be scared so it's never a yell. (Some people don't believe in the correction as they think it scares the dog so they won't ever do their business in front of you. So this part is up to you. However it has always worked for us. If you are already giving the correction and it's not working perhaps drop it. If you aren't giving the correction, perhaps this will help the pup make the connection that inside is not what you want?). If we don't catch them in the middle of it, it's our own fault, there is never a correction, and we clean it up when they are not looking.

It sounds like you are already giving all the praise for doing the right thing :(

If the dog is weeing again when you bring it inside, this is when I would make sure I have the leash on him/her so that you can give the correction the second the dog starts to do it's business and straight outside. This way you don't have to pick it up or touch it which can be seen to the dog as a reward in itself.....

And very importantly make sure you totally get rid of the urine/poo smell or it will keep going in the same places. The enzyme based cleaners are really good for removing the smell.

Another little thing we do is, if there is a spot they tend to go back to, after thoroughly cleaning it, put some of the dogs bedding over it and they don't tend to go there. That's worked a couple of times for us on some serial inside, in the same spot, weers.

And most importantly. Patience and persistance!!!! It's just a baby. It may take a while to get it right but it will eventually happen. Some dogs take a bit longer than others, but when the whole thing starts to fit together in their minds they realise outside gets praise and attention inside doesn't or inside gets my owners upset.