Toys! :)

Azzachazza

Hi all, just wondering if anyone has suggestions for cheap alternatives to expensive puppy "boredom busting" toys? Petbarn etc have some safe interesting choices, but usually are expensive. My little 9 week old pup, needs something to keep her occupied and mentally worked during the day. Thought ide ask, as im sure many have invented their own ways to keep pups challenged when away...

soft drink bottles(plastic)..with dry food in. Toilet rolls.Cardboard boxes. LARGE bones. A soccer ball..cannot be picked up, but can be rolled around/wrestled with. A towel, tied in a big knot. Get a margarine container or ice cream container.Fill about 3/4 with chicken stock or water .Drop in a few liver treats/slices of apple/slivers of bacon rind/small pieces of chicken.

freeze!

tip out into a large bowl, or just leave in its original container.....

soft drink bottles(plastic)..with dry food in. Toilet rolls.Cardboard boxes. LARGE bones. A soccer ball..cannot be picked up, but can be rolled around/wrestled with. A towel, tied in a big knot. Get a margarine container or ice cream container.Fill about 3/4 with chicken stock or water .Drop in a few liver treats/slices of apple/slivers of bacon rind/small pieces of chicken.

freeze!

tip out into a large bowl, or just leave in its original container.....

They are great ideas, going to try some over this week. The chicken stock water block sounds fantastic!

I have 4 seven week old pups. There are a few bought toys but their favourites are a pair of hubby's old work jeans cut into a few pieces, pine cones from our trees, an old unused broom, toilet roll cardboard, Cardboard box. My only problem is vigilance as their mother jumps into the enclosure and pinches them for herself.

I LOVE the chicken stock idea, Thank you.

Oh, really hot days I freeze a 2 litre bottle of water for them and have a couple of spares ready and as they love to dig in the sand (we are on a farm and house is on a sandhill, their enclosure is under the carport (car and ute in the sun for the duration) I also wet a section so they can dig, be cool and shlump.

Edited by di_dee1

soft drink bottles(plastic)..with dry food in.

I thought I'd give it a go with my 15 week old staff.....he absolutely loves empty bottles now (even without food in it), keeps his attention for ages or until its destroyed!

I found the round bottles are the best as they roll around when he kicks and chases them.

Thanks for the tip! :laugh:

When you can no longer get enough peanut butter out to cover a slice of bread... the 'empty' peanut butter jar is one of Leia's special treats. Lasts several days!

Same here... our dog can smell an open peanut butter jar a mile away and goes bananas for it!!

I've tied a few knots in an old piece of garden house about 1.5m long and he loves it.

1.25l bottles with rice in them. Middi goes crazy for it. She tries to chew the lid off but I just replace the lid when it gets worn.

Toys with bells are great but middi normally kills the toy and the bell is all that's left. I put the bells in a tupperware container and she spends ages trying to get it out.

The ice block was a huge hit with kenzi and i've now got two ready in the freezer (got new pup last week) ready for later :(

I've also put an almost empty large yoghurt tub in the freezer so I'll see how that goes down too.

Out of an old pair of denim jeans I made a tug toy with newspaper rolled up inside so makes a crinkly noise which they seem to like.

My best buys so far have been from salvos, got a king blanket which I cut into smaller ones for her crate, as they're often in the washing machine :D I also got some great baby toys/teething/noisy/crinkly stuff nala loves, obviously only given under supervision just in case but so far its holding up well :eek: Here's a photo of her with it.

th_nala031.jpg

Op shops and second hand shops are great for toys for our minis. And they are cheap! We don't care if they only last for a few weeks. When Scarlett was younger we let her have plastic rattle toys for babies but we always supervised her. She loved those! I was just at the op shop last week and got her an octopus soft toy. She has already ripped all its little legs off! :eek: Cheap and fun :D

The other idea would be garage sales for childrens soft toys :(