Hachi

Hetzer

Hello everyone,

Recently I was researching movies with a dog theme and I found a real gem. The movie was Hachiko, and told the true story of an Akita's devotion to his master, a university professor is 1920's Tokyo. From puppyhood, Hachi would accompany his master to the train station, and await his return of an evening there at a specific time. The touching part was that even after the professors passing away from a heart attack, Hachi would continue the routine of waiting for him at the train station - and this vigil would last for ten years. He would even escape from new owners to continue the wait. The movie was a real tear jerker, and conveyed the connection a human can have with a canine. The fluffy and expressive face of the Akita was very endearing.

hachiko_s.jpghachiko_statue_s.jpg

Hachi would gain national recognition in newspaper articles, and his enduring faithfulness to his master's memory would be hailed as a national symbol.

I saw the original 1987 Japanese version of the movie, specifically Hachiko Monogatari, and although there is apparently an english-language remake, I think this is the one to check out. Highly recommended. There's a good Wikipedia entry about Hachi which is definitely worth a read.

Best Regards, Hetzer

The Movie is posted on youtube in 6 parts but unfortunately they don't have English subtitles. But there is a nice scene compilation set to nice music which conveys the feel of the film -

The 2009 American re-make of the movie (starring Richard Gere) seems to be more of an "inspired by" scenario rather than the true story presented in the 1987 Japanese Movie. Might be worth a look since it hits a similar emotional chord.

HachikoADogStorywithRichardGere.jpg

I work with a Japanese lady, and she is very familiar with the story of Hachi. I gave her a copy of the movie and she is thrilled because she missed it when it was released in Japan originally. She told me that Hachi's voice was recorded by a reporter, so maybe somewhere on the internet we can hear him talk. How interesting! She said that Hachi's statue is quite a shrine that dog lovers like to have their picture taken next to. If I am ever in Japan, I'll be sure to do the same.

• 2 weeks later...

The puppy certainly is a Shiba. One of 4 supplied for the film. They were a hit on set, so much so that Richard Gere's assistant Tommy was 'gifted' one of the pups by the breeder. Tommy had lost his Cocker Spaniel (aged 15) a few months previous so was over over the moon when the breeder let him take 'TuTu'. The breeder was on set for the filming and she assures people the welfare of the pups was first for EVERYONE.

The 2009 American re-make of the movie (starring Richard Gere) seems to be more of an "inspired by" scenario rather than the true story presented in the 1987 Japanese Movie. Might be worth a look since it hits a similar emotional chord.

I found the trailer for the American version. I know an elderly lady who adores Richard Gere and absolutely loves dogs so thanks it has offered a great tip for a Christmas present for her.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FaS37E3gKOU

Shibas are LOADS of fun!!!

Sometimes............ (depending on how recently a toy has been disemboweled and the remains strewn about the yard like snow.... Or whether they chuck a hissy fit because its the teensyest bit sunny and they would rather sleep than go for a walk :D )

Hetzer, they have had lots of time since the 3rd century to hone their evil ways to a fine point, and make sure they get away with it too.....

• 6 months later...