World Dog Games On Ch 7 Right Now

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I only started watching when the big dog agility was on so I didn't see that, while there was 2 other breeds in the agility and the dock diving had diff breeds, it was still quite a few collies, dont get me wrong they are great dogs, its just I guess I was hoping to see more breeds like dobermanns, rottweilers, mastiffs, staffies, German shepherds and even cattle dogs in this sport, So I was very sad when I didn't see any of these breeds in this show, the show was short so I guess that played a big factor of not seeing any.

The World Dogs Games was like a grand final, so you had to actually qualify to make the grand final - people might not realise that. So although there might be a lot of other dogs trialling, you only saw the ones that qualified. That was mostly BC's for flyball and frisbee - it wasn't intential just how it happened.

For frisbee, we would love to see more types of dogs participating but yes the sport does take training and not all dogs can catch a disc - those with smalled noses like boxers might find it more difficult. But have a go and hopefully next time there will be more types. But again, it depends on who qualifiers.

If you have a breed that wasn't in there, then start training and make sure you get there next time. :rainbowbridge:

Should we complain that disc dogs is a male only sport since all the qualifying handlers were male? :(

Don't worry about your throwing guys, that's a big part of a training clinic. And though you'll probably get dirty looks from your dog, they always forgive your crappy throws. In fact, some say that it makes a better disc dog when they have to watch the disc carefully to know where it will end up rather than having a great thrower who puts them in the same area each time. :rofl:

Should we complain that disc dogs is a male only sport since all the qualifying handlers were male? :confused:

We females just have to pick our game up! :happydance:

Molasseslass and bordercollies4me, along with another lady with her 2 red dogs - are the 3 females at the moment who are consistently throwing over 30m + and who can certainly beat the men! :confused: Molasseslass made the National Championships final so can definitely do it! (She's just being modest in her last post) :(

Yes WDG was male dominated in frisbee, but I think 'we' can show them next time!!!! :rofl::rainbowbridge:

I saw this the other day (recorded it) & really enjoyed it. Recognised lots of DOLers, or rather their dogs :rofl: but I did recognise AgilityDog & CK straight away & when I pointed him out to Dagboy he said "Who?" (sorry Tony :happydance: )

Loved Karen & her Malinois Zoya's dock diving & thought she did the DwD world proud with her tricks before her launch :rainbowbridge: .

As for the BC comment, only 2 (or was it 3?) out of the 6 (or 7?) dogs that did agility & only 1 out of about 7 in the dock diving doesnt equate to being over run by BCs in my book. Instead of it being the BCs are better at these sports than other dogs, maybe it's just that the better handlers happen to have border collies? :confused: :confused:

BTW, congrats molasseslass on the National final, a great accomplishment :( .

Thanks MrsD and jinkispirit, our equal 3rd at the Nationals was huge - it was only Jazz's second competition with her first being the day before the nationals qualifying rounds. But then I let her get fat and she couldn't get off the ground for the WDG qualifying. :rainbowbridge:

MrsD, I thought one of the dock dogs was Jarrah at first, looked a lot like him I thought.

:rainbowbridge: no, not Jarrah, we are still happily doing our DwD & aren't planning on doing Dock Diving any time soon :rofl: . Im not so sure he would do it actually if the frisbee goes in the water at the beach he runs the other way :( (& you know how crazy he is about his frisbee!). Might have to try him out & see if I can get him to jump in the dam to rescue a frisbee just to see :happydance: .

I saw this the other day (recorded it) & really enjoyed it. Recognised lots of DOLers, or rather their dogs :rofl: but I did recognise AgilityDog & CK straight away & when I pointed him out to Dagboy he said "Who?" (sorry Tony :happydance: )

Loved Karen & her Malinois Zoya's dock diving & thought she did the DwD world proud with her tricks before her launch :rainbowbridge: .

As for the BC comment, only 2 (or was it 3?) out of the 6 (or 7?) dogs that did agility & only 1 out of about 7 in the dock diving doesnt equate to being over run by BCs in my book. Instead of it being the BCs are better at these sports than other dogs, maybe it's just that the better handlers happen to have border collies? :confused: :confused:

BTW, congrats molasseslass on the National final, a great accomplishment :( .

Thanks Mrs D - it has been a while so we can forgive Dagboy.

ML - you did a great job at the nationals with your girl. I love watching all your chocolate dogs running in all the sports they do.

Zoya was awesome - might have even convinced me to start thinking about DWD next year.

First trial is Feb 6th AD, if you enter I think you'll be the first male to compete in Australia - Dagboy & Tony from Canberra both keep promising but never delivering :( . Entries close 19th Jan I think, some of our trials don't make it into the Dog World but are word of mouth so if you want to keep in the loop I can let you know what's coming up, or there is a mailing list you can join if you want.

Just remember to compete your dog has to be able to spend a considerable length of time (anywhere up to 10 mins depending on your level of competition) in the assembly area with no food, toys, motivator etc before you go into the ring :rainbowbridge: .

Oh but can you have your props in the assembly area - somebody just has to hear the world chimney and she goes off :) . I think I like the sound of the Sydney comps better then the Queensland ones at least you come in via an outside door and you can have treats or toys right up until you are due to go in ;) .

Although apparently some of the starters dogs have disappeared off into the kitchen which is right in the entrance. When we competed I didn't see any but for the entire morning there was a tray of Christmas cake on the cupboard in the assembly area ;) .

ETA. It would be the only "sport" where the dog is expected to stand around waiting with no access to motivators of any description - well at least in terms of agility and obedience. I did read that in the rules and not sure on the logic behind it. There is no reason why its any different to an obedience trial and as long as you are waiting near to where you have to perform then why your not permitted to have motivators I am not sure.

Edited by ness

Oh but can you have your props in the assembly area - somebody just has to hear the world chimney and she goes off :) . I think I like the sound of the Sydney comps better then the Queensland ones at least you come in via an outside door and you can have treats or toys right up until you are due to go in ;) .

Although apparently some of the starters dogs have disappeared off into the kitchen which is right in the entrance. When we competed I didn't see any but for the entire morning there was a tray of Christmas cake on the cupboard in the assembly area ;) .

ETA. It would be the only "sport" where the dog is expected to stand around waiting with no access to motivators of any description - well at least in terms of agility and obedience. I did read that in the rules and not sure on the logic behind it. There is no reason why its any different to an obedience trial and as long as you are waiting near to where you have to perform then why your not permitted to have motivators I am not sure.

I don't know why that's a rule & I don't necessarily agree with it either. But I have to say I am extremely pissed off right now to find out that NSW just flaunts the rules like that, it's just wrong. I personally (& most of the girls up here in Brisbane) have spent months & months & months on getting my dog to the stage where he will work where ever & when ever I ask him to, without toys or food or a motivator being anywhere near him & after having to stand around for ages doing nothing . :cry: Not happy Jan :(:rofl: ;) :mad :mad

Edited to take out a comment

Edited by MrsD

Actually Mrs D I have dragged up the DWD rules and they say this:

No food, toy or motivator may be taken into the assembly area, unless the assembly area is at least twelve (12) metres away from the competition ring.

So as long as the assembly area is at least 12 meters away from the ring then motivators are permited. The assembly area for the competition in NSW would have been at least 12 meters away from the ring and it is also located outside a solid door hence no issue with the use of food or toy in the assembly area. It didn't worry me with my youngster as she will work anywhere anytime and in fact wasn't even really rewarded that much when we left the ring as she finds what she is doing enough of a reward.

The set up was lots of people set up outside (I gather there was a small area somewhere out the back indoors where dogs were permitted) but not being a local I just set up outside with some of the others. They then had some board screens set up outside the door which was closed "the assembly area", then you walked in through the doors, into where they had more board screens set up and then into the ring. I guess they weren't quite as pedantic about having dogs sit around when the dog prior to them was in the ring. However it was 36 degrees outside so nobody wanted dogs standing around unnecessarily in the heat.

You were permitted to wait inside the door if you chose but then you weren't allowed treats or toys on you so I opted to wait outside which was in the shade with dog wearing her cool coat.

Also there was only limited number of dogs in starters (especially HTM) so there was no way I could have left the ring, changed costume and been waiting with my other dog when the dog prior to me in the ring was in (with only 3 dogs in the class and I had dog 1 and 3), so I guess there was a bit of flexibility and the two people doing the commentating/introducing didn't mind fitting in the space while I changed dogs got myself ready.

So I don't think there is any reason to get cross they aren't doing anything that is against the rules - its just Qld seem to have adopted a different strategy for their competitions. I also noticed that they have a steward take you into the ring in Qld whereas in NSW you would remove your lead in the assembly area and leave the lead there before going out onto the performance area.

Edited by ness

As for the cake being in the formal assembly area - it was only because the kitchen was right off where you went into the building and I do believe that has actually caused issues in the past as I said with dogs leaving the area to head off into the kitchen. Not sure that really makes it a training advantage and if anything it was obviously something that caused issues in earlier competitions with dogs deciding that there was something better on offer.

Ahhh so technically they just use the rules to suit them & put their assembly area outside away from everthing else, it got to mid 30s at our last comp up here, I don't think it being hot is an excuse. The people with multiple dogs do get a break though & just get to go in when they are ready.

Can't work out the steward & lead thing, so you take your lead off in the assembly area (which is at least 12 meters away) & then you just walk through into the ring? Don't they have a ring steward? I don't remember it being that far from the outside, we have to stand around for ages waiting for the dog before us, hardly seems fair though does it? ;)

Sorry for dragging it offtopic.

Edited to change bend to use

Edited by MrsD

Nah they are just going with what is permitted in the rules - not bending at all. Using common sense I think. Its not any different to somebody going into an obedience trial ring where they are standing outside the ring and allowed to feed or use a motivator if they wish up until the moment they set foot in the ring.

Leads were just removed in the "inside assembly area", through the glass door which was right next to the where the ring was. It wasn't a formal deal. They introduced you, gave a little biography and then you were allowed into the ring.

You can probably see it in there. If you see at the start where we run from there are grey boards - that is where the assembly area was.

It was much more like a performance then a trial - put on for spectator appeal as well with introduction of the dog/background information etc.

Hang on a minute.......you mean I actually have to think about an outfit? No wonder guys don't compete. :)

Tony yep - although males get away with it easy, a pair of black pants, a shirt & waistcoat will get you far ;) .

Yep AD you need a glitzy outfit. Actually there was a male that performed in Sydney with a couple of shelties - name I don't know.

Didnt know there were any males already competing, Dagboy will be disappointed ;) .

Yep AD you need a glitzy outfit. Actually there was a male that performed in Sydney with a couple of shelties - name I don't know.

But it does not have to be glitzy - it just has to suit the music/routine.

If glitzy was a requirement I do not think any of us would be even thinking about it. ;) .

Cheers,

DagBoy

Oh and on the multiple dog front I had 2 dogs entered in 4 routines in the morning and again in the afternoon (and they were all starters and entries weren't huge 3 in starters HTM and maybe 8 or so in starters freestyle and I certainly didn't have a heap of dogs in between - especially when most starters routines are at the bottom end of the permitted time so even 5 dogs is maybe 10-15 minutes max ) and also not being local or having seen any other competitions or attended any training previously I might have got off more lightly on the protocal side of things, so my experience might not be truely accurate but I can only explain what the set up was.