World Dog Games On Ch 7 Right Now

I only started watching when the big dog agility was on so I didn't see that, while there was 2 other breeds in the agility and the dock diving had diff breeds, it was still quite a few collies, dont get me wrong they are great dogs, its just I guess I was hoping to see more breeds like dobermanns, rottweilers, mastiffs, staffies, German shepherds and even cattle dogs in this sport, So I was very sad when I didn't see any of these breeds in this show, the show was short so I guess that played a big factor of not seeing any.

The World Dogs Games was like a grand final, so you had to actually qualify to make the grand final - people might not realise that. So although there might be a lot of other dogs trialling, you only saw the ones that qualified. That was mostly BC's for flyball and frisbee - it wasn't intential just how it happened.

For frisbee, we would love to see more types of dogs participating but yes the sport does take training and not all dogs can catch a disc - those with smalled noses like boxers might find it more difficult. But have a go and hopefully next time there will be more types. But again, it depends on who qualifiers.

If you have a breed that wasn't in there, then start training and make sure you get there next time. :hug:

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I only started watching when the big dog agility was on so I didn't see that, while there was 2 other breeds in the agility and the dock diving had diff breeds, it was still quite a few collies, dont get me wrong they are great dogs, its just I guess I was hoping to see more breeds like dobermanns, rottweilers, mastiffs, staffies, German shepherds and even cattle dogs in this sport, So I was very sad when I didn't see any of these breeds in this show, the show was short so I guess that played a big factor of not seeing any.

I guess if they qualify then they will be represented. Given there are not many of them participating in some of the sports this reduces their chances of being represented.

That's pretty much it. We'd love to see you out at frisbee or flyball or agility.

For frisbee the only breeds represented in the qualifiers in Brisbane were BC's, Stumpy Tailed Cattle Dogs, Kelpies and maybe a Toller (plus mixes). (oops - never have been any good at breeds other than BC!! :laugh: )

We'd love to see more in the sport - but most other dogs are too smart to chase a plastic disc all day! :shrug:

Are there clubs doing disk all over Australia? I haven't heard of any in NSW.

I guess if they qualify then they will be represented. Given there are not many of them participating in some of the sports this reduces their chances of being represented.

That's pretty much it. We'd love to see you out at frisbee or flyball or agility.

For frisbee the only breeds represented in the qualifiers in Brisbane were BC's, Stumpy Tailed Cattle Dogs, Kelpies and maybe a Toller (plus mixes). (oops - never have been any good at breeds other than BC!! :laugh: )

We'd love to see more in the sport - but most other dogs are too smart to chase a plastic disc all day! :laugh:

Are there clubs doing disk all over Australia? I haven't heard of any in NSW.

At this stage its limited to Brisbane, Gympie and Townsville, although next year we are looking at expanding into NSW and Victoria - very exciting. We have had a lot of interest as a result of the games and can't wait for even more people to start getting involved. There are a number of clubs and individuals who have contacted us to start something up so it is looking very promising.

I watched the games, they were so awesome. I said to my husband 'Guess what? I'm watching sport on tv!' He didn't believe me, so came out to look and he got hooked too. I just wish it was longer.

I've been saying it for ages, but I must get Harry involved in something. Maybe frisbee. He would kick arse and he's an ugly crossbreed :laugh:

Edited by huga

Huga :laugh:

The commentary would be "and here is a BC. And a now a Kelpie. And next up is.... oh my.... what IS that?" :rofl::o

You know I love you, Harry ;)

How light are those discs? I saw one in the start video at the park which was a Clean Run one, just wondering if my Tentie would be able to catch it without being flung through the air :laugh:

He loves catching things and we used to have a flying ring thing that he loved (until he killed it :laugh:)

Huga :laugh:

The commentary would be "and here is a BC. And a now a Kelpie. And next up is.... oh my.... what IS that?" :rofl::o

You know I love you, Harry ;)

How light are those discs? I saw one in the start video at the park which was a Clean Run one, just wondering if my Tentie would be able to catch it without being flung through the air :laugh:

He loves catching things and we used to have a flying ring thing that he loved (until he killed it :laugh:)

The discs are around 200g. They are very flexible so they can't shatter and have quite soft edges to avoid the puppies hurting their mouths. They are VERY different to what you wil generally find in pet shops. It is possible to get other slightly heavier varieties as well - they are just about impossible to destroy whereas the ones we used in Sydney do get knocked about a bit by the harder mouthed dogs. (I'm lucky - my dogs very rarely damage a disc.)

It is also possible to get approved 'puppy' discs that smaller dogs find a bit easier to handle. I have used one for a Cavvy and a mini-schnauzer and both loved it. They are a little more difficult to throw, but then again the shorter legs don't carry the dogs quite as far any way.

Thanks AD! I thought they might be quite light because of the way they hovered so easily.

Do they have the puppy ones on Clean Run too?

I think our biggest downfall in learning to teach this is that I can't throw a frisbee to save myself :laugh:

Thanks AD! I thought they might be quite light because of the way they hovered so easily.

I think our biggest downfall in learning to teach this is that I can't throw a frisbee to save myself :laugh:

I'm not sure where the puppy ones came from. One of the club members bought a heap in from the US for herself and accidentally ordered puppy discs.

Clean Run don't stock them. I will have a hunt around and see if I can find out where they come from. You wil probably have to get them from the US though - not aware of anyone who has any in Australia any more. (But I stand to be corrected.)

T

I think our biggest downfall in learning to teach this is that I can't throw a frisbee to save myself :(

I'm not sure where the puppy ones came from. One of the club members bought a heap in from the US for herself and accidentally ordered puppy discs.

Clean Run don't stock them. I will have a hunt around and see if I can find out where they come from. You wil probably have to get them from the US though - not aware of anyone who has any in Australia any more. (But I stand to be corrected.)

T

Proper competition standard discs are from the US - you can either get Whamo, Fastback, Chompers or Heros - they types of discs allowed in competition are located here http://www.frisbeedogs.asn.au/

You can either purchase some for the Brisbane & Region K9 Disc Club (try website http://www.bark.asn.au/ for details) or you can go direct to makers in the US.

I use Fastback's for competition (so does AD) which you can get from http://www.dtworld.com/Dog_Discs_s/5.htm - this is the company who owns the right to the word 'frisbee' - original makers.

I also use Skyzhounz Hyperflite for frisbee freestyle - the discs are a little smaller so don't go as far as the fastbacks. http://www.skyhoundz.com/ This company also makes Jawz discs which are pretty much indestructuable but really soft so don't hurt the dogs.

Both these companies make normal discs and puppy size.

There is also Hero discs but I've never used them, they are suppose to be very similar to Fastback discs. http://www.herodiscusa.com/

Anyway, you can purchase direct from those companies online -I've bought from DT World and Skyzhoundz on numerous occassions (I probably buy twice a year) and have never had an issue with service or delivery.

Have fun!

I think our biggest downfall in learning to teach this is that I can't throw a frisbee to save myself :(

People do think frisbee is really easy. It is like any other sport and does need training, especially more so for the 'human' part of the team. Learning how to throw a frisbee consistent and accurate does take soem practice. Once that is mastered you can work on distance.

It is a lot of fun though and worth it! Training doesn't seem like training!

Teaching the jobs to jump safely is one of the most important things.

In the clinics organised by Canine Disc Australia, they will teach all those elements and how to throw and release properly. CDA is teeing up some clinics in the New Year at the moment, looks like a couple in NSW - Sydney and Coast as well as Melbourne. If you are interested - drop Damian Noud a line - [email protected]

I had a quick look and found these ones on Clean Run, they look ok and have a puppy size:

http://www.cleanrun.com/index.cfm?fuseacti...mp;ParentCat=34

Great, yet another thing on the Clean Run Wishlist :(

Thanks for your help AD.

Jawz are good - they are a little heavier than the normal competition standard, as they are the ones for the strong bites. But they do last. They don't go as far as the competition ones and do fly differently, which you have to remember if you train with jawz and compete with 'normal' ones. But I do have 3 Jawz discs at home and they are great discs! Well worth it.

Sorry just trying to give you as much information as I can. Frisbee is a lot of fun and the dogs really love it. It's not as complicated as it sounds - it's really really simple and a lot of fun! :(

The main thing, is getting out there and having fun with your pups!

Thanks AD for the info. Now all I have to do is teach Tilba to fetch a frisbee. I've always thought it looked like a lot of fun. Do you train the dogs not to twist mid air & injure their backs?

Edited by luvsdogs

Jawz are good - they are a little heavier than the normal competition standard, as they are the ones for the strong bites. But they do last. They don't go as far as the competition ones and do fly differently, which you have to remember if you train with jawz and compete with 'normal' ones. But I do have 3 Jawz discs at home and they are great discs! Well worth it.

Sorry just trying to give you as much information as I can. Frisbee is a lot of fun and the dogs really love it. It's not as complicated as it sounds - it's really really simple and a lot of fun! :(

The main thing, is getting out there and having fun with your pups!

Don't be sorry, it's fantastic info :(

Thanks for the help and pointers :laugh:

Thanks AD for the info. Now all I have to do is teach Tilba to fetch a frisbee. I've always thought it looked like a lot of fun. Do you train the dogs not to twist mid air & injure their backs?

Like most 'fetch' games it is best taught in a small area first and then get bigger and bigger.

As for twisting in the air - it's not really a problem IMO - as long as the dog knows how to land properly. They twist more in a set of weave poles or on a flyball box.

Xena is a nutter who twists all over the place, CK on the other hand I don't ask to do that because he is not as athletic and does not land as well - he can, however consistently catch at 40m+ - Xena struggles with much more than 35m. It's about playing to their strengths and not pushing when it is going to hurt them.

To give you an idea what I am talking about - have a look at Xena catching a disc in this pretty ordinary freestyle routine. (This was in her - I only do one disc at a time phase). She catches it in all manner of positions and twists, but always lands nice and square on 4 feet. As long as there is no impact when they are twisting it is not going to do them much harm. (Given they are warm before they start.)

The landing is really easy to teach. Just have your dog jump over one leg when you are sitting on the ground - they will land on all 4 - which is what you are looking for. Once they are doing this really well move to short, low throws and then slowly build distance and height.

Hope that helps.

The other thing that helps is to do heaps of throwing without your dog - unless you are lucky and have natural talent for throwing frisbees......Good throws help to keep the puppies safe as they are not trying to get to discs flying at crazy angles.

I think our biggest downfall in learning to teach this is that I can't throw a frisbee to save myself :rainbowbridge:

*cough* Yes, I think I will be letting the team down via my girly throwing too :(:rofl: