Smelly Dog

Mas1981

My lab puppy is 8 months old now, he had an yeast infection in his ears about a month ago and had drops and ear wash etc to clear it up, since then there is an odd smell about him, the vet has cleaned out his anal glands and it has made almost no change to the way he smells. I cant really describe the smell, its almost like something that smells damp. Anyone else got the same problem?

Oh I have also bathed him in medicated shampoo from the vet and no change.

It's possible he has yeast infections between his toes, in his 'armpits' or in his groin area.

The vast majority of yeast infections are caused/worsened by food intolerances - what are you feeding him?

He was on Advance and is now on Eagle Pack, he started smelling on the Advance though.

Maybe try washing him in some medicated shampoo like Masaleb ... if that doesn't help then I would be taking him to the vet for a check-up and looking at diet.

He was seen by the vet, the only thing she can think of was that it was his anal glands, she cleaned them out but to be honest he still smells the same, she also gave us Malaseb to wash him with, we have done it once now but no change in smell...

hmm

My dog rolled in something dead in the local drain and that was pretty smelly, but a thorough wash with johnsons baby shampoo - especially between the ears and the shoulders (stinky things rolling target spot), got rid of it.

For mildew type problems around the house, I use vinegar (dilute 1 to 10 if using in a spray bottle) and bicarb soda. Use an icing sugar shaker to sprinkle the bicarb and then follow up with the vinegar spray, and wipe off. I guess (not making promises here) dilute vinegar and bicarb would be ok to use on a dog. I'd hose it off.

Shannon Lush (cleaning queen) suggests using mint tea for dog wash, especially to discourage fleas. If you have fresh mint, use a large handful, steeped in a kettle full of water and allowed to cool off - and then add to a bucket of cold water and use to wash dog. If using teabags, use several instead of the fresh mint.

I have no idea if that will help with fungal type stinkies.

Have you figured out exactly which bit of the dog is stinking. Have you washed the bedding (add vinegar to the rinse water). Whats his sleeping quarters like (including anywhere in the garden he likes to hang out). Is he rolling or walking in something obnoxious in the garden? Wormwood is pretty stinky and a common garden shrub. Compost heaps or bins are also quite stinky, same with drains (ie where the rain water goes). There may be some damp bit of the garden he likes to hang out in that the stink is coming from.

Anal gland stink - I'd describe as some vomit making combination of dog poo and sulphur (rotten eggs) - more skunk (not that Australians would be familiar with that one) not really mildew / damp like.

It's possible he has yeast infections between his toes, in his 'armpits' or in his groin area.

The vast majority of yeast infections are caused/worsened by food intolerances - what are you feeding him?

He was on Advance and is now on Eagle Pack, he started smelling on the Advance though.

How long has he been on Eagle Pack? If not long, it could take a while for whatever it was in the Advance that got him started to get out of his system. If it's been a while, compare the ingredients and if you find one in common (particularly a grain) think about removing that from his diet for a while.

How long has he been on Eagle Pack? If not long, it could take a while for whatever it was in the Advance that got him started to get out of his system. If it's been a while, compare the ingredients and if you find one in common (particularly a grain) think about removing that from his diet for a while.

He has only been on it for 2 weeks on thursday and even then not 100% as we mixed the 2 to get him used to it etc.

smell his feet.Very few vets when treating dogs with ear infections also treat the feet,dog scratches ear & transfers infection to feet & back again.

Some dogs also get smelly feet

His feet smell like the usual Dorito feet lol. I have checked between his toes etc and cant see any signs of yeast etc, I did make the vet check last monday too because I had read on here that it spreads from ears to feet. I put apple cider vinegar in his splash pool today and he smells loads better, think i will try rinse him with this once a day for a week or so and see what happens.

smell his feet.Very few vets when treating dogs with ear infections also treat the feet,dog scratches ear & transfers infection to feet & back again.

Some dogs also get smelly feet

His feet smell like the usual Dorito feet lol. I have checked between his toes etc and cant see any signs of yeast etc, I did make the vet check last monday too because I had read on here that it spreads from ears to feet. I put apple cider vinegar in his splash pool today and he smells loads better, think i will try rinse him with this once a day for a week or so and see what happens.

Edited to say that he only started smelling like this after he had cortisone for his ear infection.

How much time does he spend in his splash pool??How wet does he get & what areas??

He gets in about 2x a day and his tummy and legs get soaked. His back is usually dry, his tail is sometimes wet too. The base of the tail is one of the areas that really smells.

Your description sounds like a yeasty smell.

Avoid shampoos. Try, first off, Calendula Tea wash.

My boy has allergy symptoms and he too has periods where his skin smells yeasty/musty. Sometimes his coat carries a greasy feel as well. The calendula tea wash, which is anti-bacterial as well as soothing, tends to ease the skin symptom and helps to stop any secondary skin infection, as well as leaving the coat feeling better and smelling more fresh. It is also a natural substance and does not contain the chemicals that produce the froth that shampoos have, which is better for the skin as well and doesn't affect natural PH balance.

Your description sounds like a yeasty smell.

Avoid shampoos. Try, first off, Calendula Tea wash.

My boy has allergy symptoms and he too has periods where his skin smells yeasty/musty. Sometimes his coat carries a greasy feel as well. The calendula tea wash, which is anti-bacterial as well as soothing, tends to ease the skin symptom and helps to stop any secondary skin infection, as well as leaving the coat feeling better and smelling more fresh. It is also a natural substance and does not contain the chemicals that produce the froth that shampoos have, which is better for the skin as well and doesn't affect natural PH balance.

Can you buy the Calendula Tea Wash in a pet store or health store??

Health Food Store. It comes in a packet. Calendula is Marigold Flowers (dried). Use the toe of an old socking to put a tablespoon or two in, pour boiling water and brew it to make the tea. Let it steep until it cools. You can then use a flannel saturated with it to rub in and through your dog's coat, down to the skin.

Health Food Store. It comes in a packet. Calendula is Marigold Flowers (dried). Use the toe of an old socking to put a tablespoon or two in, pour boiling water and brew it to make the tea. Let it steep until it cools. You can then use a flannel saturated with it to rub in and through your dog's coat, down to the skin.

Thanks Erny, will give it a try!