Question For Volunteer Instructors

JulesP

Think we have a couple of volunteer instructors on here. How does your club work out rosters for instructing? Do you find you are teaching every week or do you get breaks?

How long do you think is long enough putting back into a club?

On a volunteer basis - the roster manager calls for volunteers at the end of each term via email. There are 5 terms a year to volunteer for. So when you volunteer, you usually commit to do one lesson a week 8 weeks straight.

If you can't commit to doing a full term, you can offer to fill in for instructors who are ill or otherwise can't make it.

Some people can teach all 5 terms a year, but I can't. Partly because I work full time and partly because I live a long way away and partly because I also show in conformation. I think last year I did one term, the year before I did two terms. Most clubs have a required minimum for you to qualify for instructor membership rates.

There are also other ways to help - you can help with curriculum design, staff the shop, maintain the website, help with fundraising, do grounds maintenance and I'm sure PF can think of at least a zillion other jobs that most clubs need help with.

Edited to note that one thing I did do a couple of times last year was the intake lecture for new people as I couldn't do a full term. So that's another way to help.

Edited by SkySoaringMagpie

We have a very small club and a very committed band of instructors.

Typically the core group of us instruct 2 weeks out of 3 for the whole year. (I've just done the last 12 weeks straight though.) Others instruct every second week.

In terms of how much time is enough to put back in......I don't expect anyone to put anything back in - that way I am not disappointed.

That said I find as people move through the trialling ranks they are happier to put in time. Those who aren't are better off not instructing because all they end up doing is losing members for a club.

At our club we have a pretty dedicated core group, though there is always room for more.

Each month the head instructor asks everyone which weeks they can do and fills out the roster. Allows those of us with other commitments to leave out those weeks where we will be unavailable. Most months I will do 3 out of 4 weeks I guess. Some do every week some do less. Depends on life.

My club doesn't have a roster. We instruct when ever we can & that is mostly every week. I went through an instructor's course back in '96 & in those days I instructed in one session & trained in the other. These days we have anything from 2 to 4 instructors for the beginner's class which sometimes includes ppl doing the Delta cert lV course.

Beginners is in the 1st session & once completed we have transition then a more advanced class. Since having Tilba I don't instruct in these classes. The 2-3 yrs before that I instructed in both sessions as April was too old to participate.

There's usually only 2 instructors, same 2 95% of the time. We really only have 4 permanent instructors. If we need holidays or a week off we just tell the others & juggle to suit.

I'm up to 2.5 years of pretty much every Sunday. Really could use a break and rather need one as I don't know how I am going to train the new pup and Poppy. But I feel guilty!

You get to a point you need to put yourself and your own dogs first or you burn out. Been there, done that.

I instructed 1 or 2 sessions a night for about 5 years in obedience and then for about 2 years also instructed another night for agility. It got to the point I would find if others were away I would feel bad for people that turned up to train and getting stuck in large classes so I would offer to take an extra session so my own dog's training started to suffer. At that point I stepped down.

I know of other people who end up joining another club to train as they are too busy when instruction to work their own dogs. I think if you are at that point then it is time to say to the club that you need time for your own dogs.

Think we have a couple of volunteer instructors on here. How does your club work out rosters for instructing? Do you find you are teaching every week or do you get breaks?

Hi Jules

When I was a Chief Instructor I rostered people on 3 times per month. If someone was away they notified me and I took them off the roster. Even people who didn't want a break got one - avoid burnout.

To do this you need a lot of instructors. I had over 40, and ran 2 instructor training sessions per year.

Some people don't want to instruct - but there are many jobs in a club. If you don't enjoy instructing, find another task (helping with trials / equipment / new members / etc). If you don't enjoy instructing you won't do it well <smile>.

How long is a piece of string? I've been putting in for nearly 30 years. If you get something out of a club, put something into it. If you don't get something out of a club, leave and find another.

I'm up to 2.5 years of pretty much every Sunday. Really could use a break and rather need one as I don't know how I am going to train the new pup and Poppy. But I feel guilty!

Everyone needs a break, and everyone needs to train their own dogs. It's hard not to feel guilty if you're a dedicated volunteer, but if you need a break it's better for you and the students to take one. There's nothing worse than having to take a break because you've burned out - better to stop before you get to that stage.

But if leaving altogether is the other likely alternative (when you get totally exhausted/frustrated) then perhaps a planned break is better all round? For them (because they get you back full of enthusiasm when you're ready) and for you (because you can rebuild your enthusiasm for the sport by working with your own dogs.

Perhaps a chance to introduce the idea of breaks/spells in instructing in your club, so they don't end up losing their good instructors.

the club I belong too decided to run a 10 or 12 week block with two sessions a night. The Block coincides with the school terms. This way it gave the instructors a two week holiday/rest and they could either instruct for both or only one session per block allowing them to train their dogs if they wanted too.

I works really well. The only downside is if the members don't read the notice board, listen to their instructor etc., etc.

Hi Jules

When I was a Chief Instructor I rostered people on 3 times per month. If someone was away they notified me and I took them off the roster. Even people who didn't want a break got one - avoid burnout.

To do this you need a lot of instructors. I had over 40, and ran 2 instructor training sessions per year.

Some people don't want to instruct - but there are many jobs in a club. If you don't enjoy instructing, find another task (helping with trials / equipment / new members / etc). If you don't enjoy instructing you won't do it well <smile>.

How long is a piece of string? I've been putting in for nearly 30 years. If you get something out of a club, put something into it. If you don't get something out of a club, leave and find another.

What club was that Speedy? Back in the day I don't think my club had any more than 10 instructors.