Large Straining Dog (march Update)

SO sorry to hear, you have put so much of yourself into this boy I imagine you are gutted.

I really hope you find him someone that deserves him. But a big pat on the back for you, you have gone out of your way to help him. He is lucky to have you on his side.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Spottychick, I think you've done a lot for this dog, it's doubtful that even with more help these people would have been consistent enough to stop Buddy killing that chook. If they were really committed to Buddy he wouldn't be on a chain, and he wouldn't have been allowed to get to the chooks.

There was a lady at the Lost Dog's Home in Hobart who had a mastiff, she might know mastiff enthusiasts. I don't think it would really matter which LDH he ended up at though, Hobart or Launceston. It's a bit of a journey to Hobart.

Thanks everyone. I know what you're all saying but I still cant help feeling like I let the poor fella down. He reacts to me whenever he hears my voice and is clearly attached to me - but I just can't take him myself given his size and my two dogs here.

Thanks for that Aiden. Is there a TDH in Launceston? I thought the closest was Devonport which is where I hope I've convinced them to take Buddy. If not I might ring and ask Devonport if they can meet Buddy somewhere closer like Launie. You are right that it doesn't matter where he ends up. I spoke to them a while ago and they said they regularly move their dogs from one shelter to another to maximise their chances of finding a home so I was thinking they could move Buddy down to Hobart ... maybe. I don't really know - I guess I'm just grasping at straws.

And I agree re the chickens, they were in the same yard as Buddy instead of over in the next yard where they usually are. Buddy didn't savage it, he just chased it and jumped on it in play. It wasn't actually killed outright. They nursed it overnight and it died the next morning. I should point out that this is a dog who I've seen loose playing with their JRT and their cats with no problem, even when he's totally hyper after just being let off his chain after weeks of confinement. He's not remotely vicious so I doubt he would have been after the chicken to deliberately kill it, so it was clearly an accident caused by their stupidity.

What did they expect would happen?? Arrgghh! I have to admit I was pretty angry about it and when she told me what happened I said "And who's fault is that? Certainly not Buddy's". Which probably didn't achieve anything except allow me to vent a little. I'm just so upset by all this.

I think you're right about the northern branch being on the coast. In that case Hobart might be about the same distance?

If I'm coming up at some point I'll let you know. I am trying to come up for a beginner's retrieving trial next month at George Town but I'm not able to commit to anything at this stage.

I think you're right about the northern branch being on the coast. In that case Hobart might be about the same distance?

If I'm coming up at some point I'll let you know. I am trying to come up for a beginner's retrieving trial next month at George Town but I'm not able to commit to anything at this stage.

Oh thank you so much Aidan. I'm afraid they will just dump him at the RSPCA coz its easier and just tell me they took him to TDH. They aren't doing anything for a few days as they've gone away somewhere till the weekend and they don't do anything in a hurry - as far as they're concerned, they can just leave him chained up until they pull their finger out.

ETA - Devonport's not quite as far as Hobart - but close!

Edited by spottychick