Medium- Large Breeds Not Prone To Hd

teekay

That was an interesting link.

The results for the Labradors were better than I thought - considering they had over 200,000 dogs tested and only 12% were dysplastic.

Compared to other breeds that had only 1000 dogs tested and they were also 12% for instance.

How is the 12% labradors scored any better than the 12% scored by another breed? Comparing the two they look as bad as each other. The same percentage. The only difference is that labs are a popular breed, so there are many thousands of them having beeen diagnosed with HD. Is that really better than you thought it was?

Well gees........wasnt quite the point I was trying to make, but I would think 12% is a lot better than 73% and considering that it is a requirement for Labradors to be x-rayed for HD - according to that list they come in at no. 79 - so there appears to be a lot more breeds that it should also be compulsory for, rather than the few breeds in Australia that have to be done.

Yes I'm with you Miss Monaro - Our survey is also showing them currently at around 11.5% - way under many breeds.

Makes you ask why it was bought in for this breed as compulsory anyway expecially considering the results are not taken into account - only that they have been done.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I would say, go for a breed that isn't awful and a breeder that has conscientiously selected for good scores over generations.

I started out lucky: my foundation bitch was sound . . . of 150+ pups sold to date, I've only had two pups with clinical HD. But all my girls are OFA excellent and most of the dogs I use are as well.

Btw., don't go out of the frying pan into the fire: watch for OCD as well as HD. It can be equally as devastating. See http://www.offa.org/elbowstatbreed.html .

Also . .. temperament can cause more problems than health. Go for a breed you find likable.

In answer to the question of why huskies score so well . . . dogs not long removed from a tough working environment, or selected for running/pulling performance . . . are likely to score well. I'll bet dingos would have good scores if anyone scored them :D .

Edited by sandgrubber

I would say, go for a breed that isn't awful and a breeder that has conscientiously selected for good scores over generations.

I started out lucky: my foundation bitch was sound . . . of 150+ pups sold to date, I've only had two pups with clinical HD. But all my girls are OFA excellent and most of the dogs I use are as well.

Btw., don't go out of the frying pan into the fire: watch for OCD as well as HD. It can be equally as devastating. See http://www.offa.org/elbowstatbreed.html .

Also . .. temperament can cause more problems than health. Go for a breed you find likable.

In answer to the question of why huskies score so well . . . dogs not long removed from a tough working environment, or selected for running/pulling performance . . . are likely to score well. I'll bet dingos would have good scores if anyone scored them ;) .

Another great link. Thank you so much. Aussie Shepherds are still looking pretty good :D

As you say, hopefully the combination of lower average HD percentages AND a good breeder is the way to go

There are plenty of statistics available on the web that add some data to this issue.

Here are OFA breed ratings from highest to lowest scores

Greyhounds, Pharoah Hounds, Borzoi, Saluki and Whippets are towards the bottom of the list.

Thanks Poodlefan, that is an excellent link, very interesting. I was surprised the Labrador only had just over 12%, I always imagined it would be higher.

Just a note that Salukis and Pharaohs are not for the faint hearted. Beautiful dogs, but not "easy" for most people. I'd consider a Whippie or a rescue greyhound obtained through a reputable rescue service.

We have a GAP Greyhound, she is a real Sweet-heart.

Would a Scottish Deerhound be too big for you ? They don't seem so to us but we are used to them.

Also HD is unknown in them, surprising for such a large breed, I know, but true.

We have owned, bred and shown Deerhounds for 30 years and I have only heard of ONE with HD,

that could have been an injury as her owner has horses also.

Dave

I would also recommend a pointer, we got one about 8 months ago, he is 11 months old now, as company for our GSD. It's the best decision we made, he is lovely, very cuddly beautiful nature.

You could also look at a well bred GSD or White shepherd. Although its in the breed, the good breeders have bred it out of their lines.

I agree with sandgrubber. Go for the breed and temperament that you want, then look for a breeder that can show consistency in low hip scores for the past three generations and ask about the hip scores of the near relatives. A breeder that selects from breeding stock with hip scores of less than 10 for several generations will produce fewer puppies with poor hips. Also, remember that genetics is only part of the HD story. It is important that you keep the puppy lean (not a butterball) and only exercise by play for the first year (no endurance or jumping work for growing puppies).