Show Age Question....

ellz

OK, in 23 years I have NEVER actually enountered this particular question with regard to show age. A friend has asked me and I had NO idea what to tell her.

Puppy was born 30 November....what date can it OFFICIALLY be shown according to ANKC rules and regs? :champagne:

Sounds easy? Do the maths on your fingers and let me know what you come up with. Remember....3 CALENDAR months...not weeks! :thumbsup:

OK, in 23 years I have NEVER actually enountered this particular question with regard to show age. A friend has asked me and I had NO idea what to tell her.

Puppy was born 30 November....what date can it OFFICIALLY be shown according to ANKC rules and regs? :thumbsup:

Sounds easy? Do the maths on your fingers and let me know what you come up with. Remember....3 CALENDAR months...not weeks! :whee:

Lol I was going to reply 30th of Feb but there is no 30th Feb :whee: Got me stumped :champagne:

Puppy was born 30 November....what date can it OFFICIALLY be shown according to ANKC rules and regs? :whee:

Sounds easy? Do the maths on your fingers and let me know what you come up with. Remember....3 CALENDAR months...not weeks! :rofl:

Lol I was going to reply 30th of Feb but there is no 30th Feb :whee: Got me stumped :thumbsup:

:rofl:

See my dilemma! :champagne:

I had to look this one up!

Taken from the ANKC website document REGULATIONS PART 5 SHOW

http://www.ankc.org.au/home/inner.asp?page...28&mainid=2

"1.2 To calculate the age of dogs for entry into breed classes where the date of birth

does not occur in the relevant month, the anniversary date be taken as the last

date of that month, e.g. dogs born on 31.1. will be eligible to enter the baby

puppy class on 30th April. (06/95, 3.1.2)"

So from this, I would say a puppy born on 30th November, 2009 would officially be able to enter the baby puppy class on 28th Feburary, 2010.

Interested to hear others replies.

Yep, that's logical for THIS year, but what about other years where the OFFICIAL show day isn't as easily worked around? IYKWIM

ok you got me :champagne:

I think that the bitch should have thought about being nicer and made things much easier by having them on the 28th October or 1st November :thumbsup:

I had to look this one up!

Taken from the ANKC website document REGULATIONS PART 5 SHOW

http://www.ankc.org.au/home/inner.asp?page...28&mainid=2

"1.2 To calculate the age of dogs for entry into breed classes where the date of birth

does not occur in the relevant month, the anniversary date be taken as the last

date of that month, e.g. dogs born on 31.1. will be eligible to enter the baby

puppy class on 30th April. (06/95, 3.1.2)"

So from this, I would say a puppy born on 30th November, 2009 would officially be able to enter the baby puppy class on 28th Feburary, 2010.

Interested to hear others replies.

Makes sense to me :champagne:

Hmmm....that's interesting. Thanks AshleyB! :champagne:

Which effectively means that IF there happens to be a show on the 28th Feb, my friend can enter her babies even though they aren't technically 3 months old.

I think I'll get her to print out the relevant part of the regs and take them with her if she decides to show the puppies then. That way she is covered if anybody gets narky with her.

Yep, that's logical for THIS year, but what about other years where the OFFICIAL show day isn't as easily worked around? IYKWIM

ok you got me :champagne:

I think that the bitch should have thought about being nicer and made things much easier by having them on the 28th October or 1st November :rofl:

:thumbsup: I think you mean December!!

But yes I agree entirely! Mind you, considering it was an OOPS breeding in the first place, there was no way the bitch was going to cooperate with what ANYBODY wanted! :rofl::whee: :whee:

No problems. Probably wouldn't hurt to know where the info came from if asked, but you would assume that the clubs would have this information somewhere if someone asked. And remember they will be 12 weeks in weeks, so it's not like showing a puppy that should not be out, if you know what I mean?

I looked at the date of that regulation, dated in 1995, so I am sure it is the case with many litters, just not ones we have experienced!!

Good luck

ETA: Great question, and I am glad I looked it up as I now know for the future! Thanks

Edited by AshleyB

It's not something I've ever encountered before unfortunately (or maybe thank goodness :champagne:). My girls have usually been more considerate.

And I won't name names, but on the rare occasions there has been an "unusual" date for whelping or puppy show age, certain breeders that I know have fudged the birthdate to make things easier. Highly against the rules but who is/was to know unless they were told or actually present?

Of course, it is made more difficult these days when we like to share our whelpings online and give lots of photographic evidence in places like DOL or on email lists and Facebook. :thumbsup:

Well there you go Sandra! :thumbsup:

I pre-empted your possible question and you are now a wiser person for it.....not that you need any more wisdom....you already know more than most people anyway! :champagne:

Well there you go Sandra! :eek:

I pre-empted your possible question and you are now a wiser person for it.....not that you need any more wisdom....you already know more than most people anyway! :champagne:

:whee: :whee: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: I was thinking that Mae & the big dog (no, can't think of a name) were never going to officially be 3 months old :thumbsup:

Diva of course is perfect - Diva was born on November 27th.....

I would have gone 1 March (which is a Monday) so the shwos the following weekend I guess.... Unless you are in a lucky state that holds shows during the week from time to time!

I see AsheyB's point too.. I guess the show sec shouldnt accept the entries if they think they are wrong..

I think many people would go March 1, but as it's February 28 according to ANKC rules, then that's what it is.

It would be interesting to see a show secretary try to NOT accept the entries (if they even bothered to check the dates that is). :rofl: