Rehoming

crazywhips

Guest Kate_Summer

The way you described the older dog, it would be kinder to PTS then rehoming IMO :confused:

Sorry to hear you are now having trouble with the other arrangement you had for the other 2.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would stay with my dog, but it's a hard decision and good luck to you. Under NO circumstances, though, would I put a dog of this or any other age in the pound and trust to luck. That is too cruel.

Edited by hoffpig

12 years ago i chose to do both, when i came from the uk.

i had a 14 year old bitza who needed very expensive daily meds. he came from rescue as a pup, i could have sent him back, but they told me he wouldn't get adopted, and it wasn't fair for him to spend his days in a kennel. i had already tried for months to find a home, with no luck. :confused:

the day before we left my oh took him to the vet :laugh:

i also had an old bt, again, not fit enough to fly here, but i did rehome her to a really good friend who adored her. she lived another 2 years. she got spoilt rotten.

I know I could never rehome my dog/s but that's just me. One of my dearest friends has adopted two olders dogs over the past few years a 10 year old Old English Sheep Dog who was with her for about 4 years and just recently a 9 year old little bit of this and little bit of that - she's great and both dogs were/are super happy. So it can be done.

I wish you all the luck and the best for your dogs :rofl:

My first thoughts run like this...

If you rehome him- would you rest easy after moving?Do you have a long time frame in which he could be slowly assimilated into another environment?

Does he cope well with change now?

What's he like in unfamiliar situations?

If he were mine, I would spoil him rotten for whatever time is left, and then send him on his journey over the bridge..

I would grieve, but I would not always have that nagging worry that he was somewhere else, unhappy, or confused...

Not a good decision..but you have to go where life takes you :):rofl:

i would probably be unable to move, the way i am attached to my dogs, but if there was no choice i would go with the above option......But I would probably be miserable forever and always feel guilty. I have enough guilt from putting to sleep a beloved newf after three strokes. I most likely would not cope. i would hate to be in your shoes and fell for you, very sad :)

I would be getting a full medical work-up and discussing with a vet you trust. It all revolves around how well you think he would cope in a new situation.

If you, and your vet, think that he has a fair to middling chance of adjusting well then I would be rehoming him, or if time is really short then handing him over to a reputable rescue for rehoming. (If the latter I would be giving the rescue a fat donation as well.)

But if you come to the conclusion that he would have a lot of difficulty adjusting to change and would stress out then IMO it would be kinder to send him over the Bridge.

You love him, I am sure you will decide in his best interests, whatever they may be.

I rehomed a Crestie a couple of years ago. She was going blind with cataracts and was not coping with the big labs around her because she couldn't see to get out of their way. She was only 7 so PTS was not an option. She ended up living my with neighbours who have some other little dogs. They are brilliant and she is now almost completely blind. Every time they move something in the house or yard they take her to it and show her the new position so she remembers to walk around it. They click their fingers to help her negotiate her toileting at night (she is entirely blind at night) and just love her to bits. They do a far better job with her than I ever could have done! It gives me hope that there are awesome people out there who will dedicate their life to an oldie.

An Update. 1 x whippet is going to spend 12 months with friends (my god good friends :laugh:) in Gladstone and 1 x whippet will either end up in Cairns or Townsville. (at this point in time)

While my family is VERY upset with our decision for Sam we believe he won't cope in being rehomed. My god the tears. :(:laugh: but it is best we believe.

Thank you for everyones responces and help in making this very hard decision.