Why Exactly Is Commercial Dog Food

~Shepherd~

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

When you figure it out, can you please explain to supermarket checkout operators that dry cat food IS food and does not belong in a bag with highly toxic cleaning products?

It seems whenever I buy my cats a treat of Dine kibble (they'd walk over hot coals for the little dried fishies in it), the idiot at the checkout tries to pack it in with the cleaning goods and I have to take it out, explain that it's a food product and does NOT belong with the toilet bleach.

why not?

We used to eat dog biscuits as kids(Tux...a kiwi dog food)

:rofl::)

Yes mum and dad fed us human food.

I know of people who know of people who when after a night on the town would come home, and have luncheon slices in sandwiches, but come morning it was revealed that it wasnt human food that they were eating :eek:

Or there would be a big pot of mince cooking but it wasnt human food. They had a great feed though.

My guess is that it is all to do with the crap and preservatives in some of it.

We used to eat dog biscuits as kids ...

Ditto. Can't remember the brand. Biscuits shaped like bones and they came in different colours.

Brown (chocolate)

Pink (strawberry)

Cream (vanilla)

Green (ummm ?)

Of course they were always disappointing to the taste buds :rofl:

Given they are often marketed as very healthy for the dogs you'd think we should be able to cook it up and eat it ourselves.

I guess because a lot of humans would not normally eat the 'bits' of animals which are cooked up - so as it's not the normal cuts- it's not for human consumption? :rofl:

I work in a meat works and believe me, humans waste very very little of the offal and meat in a bovine. In fact it you would be very surprised what gets consumed.

I know of a few people who eat the heart, liver, kidneys. In fact I am sure lots of people do.

I sampled one of Spencer's dog biscuits last year. I'm 21 :rofl: In my defense it was a 'chocolate chip' cookie (with carob) and smelt really good - like vanilla. I took a bite and it tasted like cardboard..

I think because of the processing - hygeine etc and some of the by products

I got given about 250 kg plus of Nutrience dog and cat food today :rofl: , if it was for human consumption imagine the money I would save on my weekly shopping bill, pity I am vegetarian though

As a little kid my brother usse to eat the doggie donut bikkies mum had as treats for the dogs lol.

But after having my cats killed/paralysed by pet food one of the reasons may be it could be irradiated or treated with goodness only knows what and they don't have to put it on the packaging because pet food isn't considered "food" in this country!

We used to eat dog biscuits as kids ...

Ditto. Can't remember the brand. Biscuits shaped like bones and they came in different colours.

Brown (chocolate)

Pink (strawberry)

Cream (vanilla)

Green (ummm ?)

Of course they were always disappointing to the taste buds :rofl:

Given they are often marketed as very healthy for the dogs you'd think we should be able to cook it up and eat it ourselves.

Well we are still here so it cant of been too bad for us

:)

In my defense it was a 'chocolate chip' cookie (with carob) and smelt really good - like vanilla. I took a bite and it tasted like cardboard..

Yes, Dusty thinks that too, and spits them out in disgust until she realises that the dog bickie I just handed her is the ONLY thing on the snack menu, and nope she ain't getting dried liver, smoked bone or cheese treats. Then it tastes pretty darn good, apparently.

A lot of it is human quality - but it is illegal to advertise it as such. That is why when you buy Ziwipeak there is a line blacked out (or at least there used to be) - it is the bit that says even humans can eat it.

For raw food - it really isn't suitable for human consumption because the meat hasn't been inspected for pests (unless you buy it from a butcher).

Given that the dog rolls are cooked in the plastic wrapping, and if not cooked properly can be very nasty if consumed, I always check to make sure the rolls havent blown up.

I have no intention of sampling the dog roll I feed but my dogs love it.

Edited by stonebridge

I found my pantry empty one night and rather than race down to the supermarket after an exhausting day, I pulled down from the freezer a frozen vegetable portion that I had actually prepared for my dog and fried it up and had it as a vegie sandwich. It was yummm. Now I KNOW that it was fit for human consumption and I often think that if I ate more of what I prepared for my dog I'd probably be eating healthier than I ordinarily do for myself.

Couldn't eat a dog biscuit now (even if I wanted to, which I don't). I'd crack my teeth caps.

Edited by Erny

human food 'black pudding' requires fresh pigs blood and livers to make.

Liverwurst is almost as bad.

Premiums at over $100 PER bag should be human consumable. Imagine how fit and shiny and full of real meat, vitamins and minerals and small black stools we would be :rofl: