Why Exactly Is Commercial Dog Food

~Shepherd~

A lot of it is human quality - but it is illegal to advertise it as such. That is why when you buy Ziwipeak there is a line blacked out (or at least there used to be) - it is the bit that says even humans can eat it.

For raw food - it really isn't suitable for human consumption because the meat hasn't been inspected for pests (unless you buy it from a butcher).

Unless you buy meat from a home kill which I do know of some dog food manufacturers that do, if the meat purchased is off cuts and offal from a meat works then it has been inspected.

If you saw the meat that went to Mconalds and the like then it would probably put a few people off buying mackas

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I know of a few people who eat the heart, liver, kidneys.

That's not what I meant by 'bits'

I am thinking more of reproductive organs/gristly bits of feet/.....

I did not give anyone permission to feed my ladies cow, chook veal or duck dick. Off to read Royal Canin and Artemis lables. Better not be.

Edited by Chewbacca

I know of a few people who eat the heart, liver, kidneys.

That's not what I meant by 'bits'

I am thinking more of reproductive organs/gristly bits of feet/.....

oh all those bits and peices go into making lots of other things but plenty of it gets ground down for animal by products.

actually one of the nicest parts of a pig when cooking a head is the cheeks(ooohhh hannibal lector!!!!)

Premiums at over $100 PER bag should be human consumable. Imagine how fit and shiny and full of real meat, vitamins and minerals and small black stools we would be :rofl:

:)

I wonder if we'd develop the urge to toilet outside?

Premiums at over $100 PER bag should be human consumable. Imagine how fit and shiny and full of real meat, vitamins and minerals and small black stools we would be :rofl:

:)

I cant now I have neighbours again.

Premiums at over $100 PER bag should be human consumable. Imagine how fit and shiny and full of real meat, vitamins and minerals and small black stools we would be :D

:laugh:

"Hello Hello" ....... you need some "neighbours be gone" trees :laugh:

A lot of it is human quality - but it is illegal to advertise it as such. That is why when you buy Ziwipeak there is a line blacked out (or at least there used to be) - it is the bit that says even humans can eat it.

I buy Ziwipeak, it does have a line blacked out, now I know why.

Erny I can recall different flavoured bone shaped dog biscuits that were called something like K9 Fives?? My friend was a big fan of the cheese? ones.

I think "K9 Fives" might have been similar, although a more recent product than the one I'm thinking of. Although I think you might be right in that there was a yellow (cheese) one as well. I remember the box (I think) was a brown colour and had pictures of the different coloured biscuit bones on it. I just can't visualise the name of it. Mind you, this would have to be about 43 years or so ago.

Edited by Erny

Premiums at over $100 PER bag should be human consumable. Imagine how fit and shiny and full of real meat, vitamins and minerals and small black stools we would be :D

:laugh:

"Hello Hello" ....... you need some "neighbours be gone" trees :laugh:

indeed, preggas with nature.

What a filthy image. I should report myself.

I always sample the dogs food, Royal Canin doesn't taste too bad .

Smackos are WAY too salty :D and I don't like the grittyness in most biscuits. The roo mince I buy is often made from little grey kangaroos . . . which taste much gamier than the red roos. It has been inspected for hyatid, though. As for chicken carcasses, I occasionally make soup from them, and when a nice fresh one comes through with a big breast remaining on it, I sometimes use it to make curry chicken (well cooked). Haven't gotten sick from it yet.

Btw, a lot of the things we eat are unfit for human consumption.

didn't the Luv Biscuits come in a carton with five or so flavours and in different shapes and colours? my sisters and i used to dare each other to eat them, occassionally we did :D the dogs liked them but what a load of ***** they would have had in them, s'pose we didnt' know better in those days.

There are various reasons why they are "Not fit for human consumption". It has to do with the food not meeting the extremely high standards we have for human food. This applies to storage,refrigeration, preparation and handling as well as to certain ingredients.

The difference between dog food processing and human food processing is that with dog food the raw meat will arrive in a non-refrigerated vehicle, and will be handled in the factory by people who may not wash their hands or wear hair nets or do many of the other things that keep human food safe for humans to eat. Dog food would be more expensive if the manufacturers had to have human-grade production facilities.

But after having my cats killed/paralysed by pet food one of the reasons may be it could be irradiated or treated with goodness only knows what and they don't have to put it on the packaging because pet food isn't considered "food" in this country!

(( :laugh: :D Rocky's doing OK, 90%))

My husband sometimes asks if I'm cooking dog food or people food, unfortunately for him it's usually dog food! I don't like pumpkin myself but I'll cook it for the dogs!

There are various reasons why they are "Not fit for human consumption". It has to do with the food not meeting the extremely high standards we have for human food. This applies to storage,refrigeration, preparation and handling as well as to certain ingredients.

The difference between dog food processing and human food processing is that with dog food the raw meat will arrive in a non-refrigerated vehicle, and will be handled in the factory by people who may not wash their hands or wear hair nets or do many of the other things that keep human food safe for humans to eat. Dog food would be more expensive if the manufacturers had to have human-grade production facilities.

If I pay premium prices, I expect premium preparation. How do they know our dogs wont get crook from dirty hands or bacteria?

I know, tell me to make my own.