It's Official - Atlas Is An Amazing Protector

FranVT

I am sitting here shaking trying to calm down, scariest thing just happened to me.

OH is at work until at least 11.30pm depending on what is happening in theatre so I'm home alone (except for our mate who lives in our downstairs room temporarily but it's pretty far from the front door and always has his headphones on). To get to our front door you go through a gate (silent), walk up a set of stairs to the second floor and go through a doorless gap in the veranda, cross the veranda then there's the front door. I gave Luuka a bath earlier so I still have the dog-gate pulled across the veranda gap. So I'm minding my own business watching a movie in the room that is directly inside the front door and I hear an almighty CRASH from the veranda, jump up and there's this shirtless Aboriginal man with a bottle in his hand talking gibberish, standing at the top of the stairs, and I got the fright of my life! He had knocked over the dog barrier trying to get in. He was yelling stuff and waving the bottle around so I screamed for Atlas who was at the other end of the house playing with Luuka, he came running and the guy froze. I said "okay mate time to go hey" and he started screaming at me, Atlas' hackles were up and he started barking really savagely, he said "does that effin dog bite?" and I said "yep so it's time to go" and he was like going on with all this stuff, he was calling me awful names, yelling at me, calling Atlas awful names, Atlas was barking and going mental but staying at least 1m from him, snarling and barking. He then demanded I call him a taxi and I told him the only person I'd be calling would be the police if he didn't leave right now, I yelled out for my houseguest but he didn't hear me (because of the headphones). After a bit more yelling and waving the bottle around, he turned and started making his way down the stairs. I scrambled for my phone at that point but was shaking so much I couldn't use it. He left, and I sat down to basically have a huge cry.

A few mins later, Atlas starts going off again and I'm like OH BLOODY HELL but it was the police! He asked me to go talk to him at the fence because Atlas was carrying on (still quite upset naturally) and I went down, he took my statement but I chose not to make a formal complaint because it wouldn't have done any good really. He said that the ladies across the road saw him kick Luuka down the stairs :confused: I missed that. They told me the people in the house across the road called them. The police officer was really nice. So he left after praising Atlas and saying how cute Luuka was too.

I calmed down a bit more then headed across the street with Atlas and Luuka to say thank you very much to the ladies across the road. I'd never met them before. They said he'd been wandering around trying to get into houses and they'd called the police around 20 mins - 30 mins before they actually turned up. Apparently he tried for about 10 mins to get over my fence and none of us noticed (me, dogs I mean). Then he went under the house but couldn't find anyone, that's when he came up the front stairs.

Whoa sorry I started typing this post just before the police came, it's turned into a pretty damn long one!

I just want to publically and fervently thank Atlas so much for being my protector and staying between me and this man who gave me such a huge fright. Far out. I love that dog.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

She is totally fine, if he did kick her down the stairs she didn't even yelp, maybe the people over the road were mistaken or maybe she just took a tumble by herself :confused:

Yeah hopefully.

My mum had a similar thing happen to her when she lived in Townsville, our Weim Sinta saved her.

Dogs are awsome!

They so are, I am just sooo grateful I can't even describe it, if he'd smashed that bottle he cuold have really hurt me, or the dogs which is even worse! :confused:

I should add, the police picked him up before they came to see me, he was stumbling around the neighbourhood. They are taking him to the 'diversionary' centre whatever that is.

Edited by FranCQ

Wow! That is terrifying. Your dog did a wonderful job.

Something not quite as frightening happened to me once, I heard a knock on my door as I was feeding my dog and so went to check it out. It was a man asking for money (for "petrol"). He was very persistant and kept telling me to come outside as the lights on my car were left on (they weren't, my car beeps if they are). As my dog was outside I felt totally helpless and to make him go away I gave him a few dollars (very stupid to open the door I know). I was most freaked out by him trying to lure me outside.

I called my (then very new) boyfriend and made him come over to stay the night to "protect me".

Anyway - three months later the boyfriend has moved in, but is at work, when the door knocks again. This time I go out the back, get both of our dogs (mine is a pointer, BF a rottie), before I even look through the peep hole. It's the same guy again, but before he opens his mouth, the dogs go absolutely nuts (very unlike them!) barking/growling and leaping at the door. I told the guy that I couldn't open the door as the dogs would attack him :confused: (probably not true, but not the point).

He never came back. Love my dogs!

Yikes that sounds so scary! :confused: I honestly don't know what Sooty would do in a situation like that but also hope we never have to find out. Luckily Atlas did his job so well that nothing else happened!

:laugh: that must have been absolutely terrifying!

Go Atlas what a good fella :confused:

Dogs are so awesome they make me feel so safe. Boodzey is such a sook and a sweety but will puff up if someone knocks at the door its a real comfort having him there.

I am feeling better now, my partner rang me on his break, they're about to start a Caesar so he won't be home for awhile but he asked me if I wanted him to leave work. I know how that would leave the other theatre staff so I said no, just hurry up! Lol. And knowing he is at the diversionary centre is making me feel better too in case he came back.

I sat with him on the couch while I was crying, he was licking my face and I was just saying 'good boy good boy' and giving him cuddles and pats over and over. Luuka was quite put out :confused: I am so glad she is okay, if he had hurt her, :laugh:

Fran - does this mean Atlas gets to sleep on the bed tonight? :confused:

So glad to hear he came running and held off your intruder! With snarls and barks only!!

I'm very impressed. So, does this mean you'll be asking dor a screen door for your birthday / Christmas :laugh:

HEhehe :confused: It's a rental so I think what we'll do is ask if they can enclose the veranda gap with some french doors or something. He is definitely sleeping wherever he likes tonight! Lol. No I think he will be in his crate as usual, that is where he likes to sleep anyway.