Vets All Natural Complete Mix

I've just ordered some Vets All Natural complete mix for my dogs and cat and am wondering if anyone has tried this and what they thought of it? I had a little sample of it when I got Montie 6 years ago and haven't used it since, but thought it would be good to add a little more variety to their diet.

They are currently getting Canine Country BARF patties every second day, and chicken wings every other day. In addition Mango gets an extra 2 meals of Royal Canin puppy each day (so I only have to defrost one lot of food a day!).

I was thinking of giving the Vets All Natural once or twice a week in place of the BARF patties.

I've used it on and off for years and think it's great. My dalmatian Pepper was raised on it from the age of 6 weeks when I rescued her and she thrived on it. And I used to feed my older girl on it and she lived to 18 and a half years (still reasonably fit and healthy up until the very end) so make of that what you will :confused:

I've stopped using it now because my new adopted dally can't have a lot of the ingredients in it (being a stone former) but a friend of mine recently started feeding it to her greyhound who has improved dramatically on it - better coat condition, better digestion, better overall health, less pinched nerves/stiffness etc. This dog has always been fed a good raw diet but the VAN seems to provide the rest of her nutritional needs that his owner was struggling to give her before.

You will find people here have very strong views for and against VAN but I guess you can only try it and make up your own mind.

Thanks spottychick, that was the kind of answer I was looking for - to see if it would COMPLIMENT an already raw diet. I know a lot of people are anti grain, but for some reason I have always found my dogs to thrive on a raw diet with a bit of grain, now that I'm buying the pre mix patties there is no grain in them so it will be good to offer something in addition to what they are already getting with a little grain to see how they go.

I think it depends on the kind of grain and how it's processed. Note that on the VAN website it states the barley doesn't get digested but does provide roughage - the only other grains are oats and soy bean meal (from memory) - I think the soy bean meal is probably the only ingredient I would rather they didn't include. Otherwise it's got some great supplements nicely balanced so you don't have to think about it :confused:

Its a shame it's got yeast in it - that's one of the top no-no's for stone-forming dallys.

Is that the stuff you wet and let the seeds sprout and then give to your dogs? If so then yes I have used it. I saw no improved difference in my dogs condition. Plus it is a pain to use. I suppose if you are into playing "chef" and like planning food for you dog then go for it.

I'm lazy and prefer to scoop dry kibble into a bowl and just walk away :rofl:

Is that the stuff you wet and let the seeds sprout and then give to your dogs? If so then yes I have used it. I saw no improved difference in my dogs condition. Plus it is a pain to use. I suppose if you are into playing "chef" and like planning food for you dog then go for it.

I'm lazy and prefer to scoop dry kibble into a bowl and just walk away :rofl:

Not sure that you are thinking of the right stuff, Whippets.

With VAN Complete Mix, you put the appropriate amount in a bowl, add water quantity, and allow it to ferment over night (12 hours). Simple. The grain seeds do not sprout and even if they did, that would be way too long to leave it.

When you've used that fermented mix with your dog's meal, you simply put another quantity of the VAN mix in the bowl, add water, and leave that to sit until the next day's meal.

I found it very easy to use and I am sooooo not into playing "chef" - although I will do that too if it is for my dog's sake.

Edited by Erny

I use it and love it. I do find that it is very energy rich and can put condition on dogs very quickly so just watch your dogs weight using it. It works well for my Kelpies though who love it as well and will quite happily train for little bits of it too!

I dont play "chef" either but I spent 4hrs yesterday preparing raw meals for a month for 5 dogs!! All I have to do is rip open a bag chuck it in their bowl and walk away. I spend less time poop scooping for them so the 4hrs is well worth it in my books!

Yes we started using it last year with raw meat, very good stuff. I do not use all the time but I do like it and would recommend using it. I make it up in a container and refrigerate it and spoon it out as required with beef mince.

Edited by arawnhaus

I was very happy with this however due to allergies in one of my whippets have had to stop using it. It seemed to make the condition worse. So she is just on Billinghurst Barf patties. Currently considering re-introducing it for the younger dog to keep the weight on her.

Great, I'm glad to hear I didn't waste my money on a useless product! Hope my doggies do as well on it as most of the others, I'm sure they will. I don't think they'll have weight issues as Berri is very active and Mango is a growing pup. The kitten is another story though, she's only 4 months old and already fat!! Was thinking of adding it to roo or turkey mince for her though.

Those who feed it, do you alternate with bones, or just feed it on its own? I know it has calcium added. What about offal?

Mix the VAN with anything you like - pulped veggies, egg, yoghurt/keffir, some ground meat.

My dogs will eat it on it's own but not all dogs will like that.

My greyhound owner friend just puts the VAN in a bowl with some lamb shanks on top and her dog eats the lot. She doesn't mix it with anything so I guess her dog likes it just as it is.

When I had 3 non-stone forming dallys I would generally give them RMB in the morning (and nothing else) and in the evening they got ground meat or fish or cottage cheese or eggs or whatever, pulped veggies maybe some keffir plus any supps I'm giving them and/or VAN if I've got it. You could occassionaly throw some offal in - but I rarely give that to Dally's for breed-specific reasons.

I'm lazy and prefer to scoop dry kibble into a bowl and just walk away :(

Not sure that you are thinking of the right stuff, Whippets.

With VAN Complete Mix, you put the appropriate amount in a bowl, add water quantity, and allow it to ferment over night (12 hours). Simple. The grain seeds do not sprout and even if they did, that would be way too long to leave it.

When you've used that fermented mix with your dog's meal, you simply put another quantity of the VAN mix in the bowl, add water, and leave that to sit until the next day's meal.

I found it very easy to use and I am sooooo not into playing "chef" - although I will do that too if it is for my dog's sake.

yes it must be different stuff. The food I tried you had to let the seeds in it sprout some. I got it from a "green" dog food site.

mine get VAN with whatever i buy to put in with it, but not every meal they have has VAN mixed in with it. I mince up chicken, or i buy a whole blade from the butcher or if there is Kangaroo mince going cheap i buy that. I also put in whatever veggies are left over I also put a bit of flaxseed oil sprinkled over it,and a little protexin powder. They get that in the mornings and then meaty bones at night, but they usually like to bury the bones so they stink, then they go get them and bring them beside you to chew on.Its weird i never find a hole so i dont no where they stash them. I did find one covered in leaves one day, and one sitting in a box under the house(is that the lazy way of doing it these days).Mine also get Apple Cider vinegar every day in their drinking water.My girl has a really big thing for cold celery sticks, and chilled watermelon....

Edited by sandra64

Guest *Pixie*

My lot are on it at the moment - dogs of various breeds ranging in age from 7mths to 8yrs and a 1yr old cat.

They get it twice a week, three times at most - with either chicken, beef or kangaroo mince. I usually add yoghurt, eggs if I have any here, livamol and omega 3-6-9 oil.

Other days they get RMBs of varying types.

They're doing really well on it and they LOVE it, even the cat! It's all I can do to keep them out of the blasted kitchen when I'm mixing it up :laugh: