Dogs And Baited Mice

Ceilidh

If we were to put ratsack in the ceiling and a mouse died from it on the ground are the dogs at danger if they eat them? I really don't think they would have a chance to eat them but just in case, is it harmfull to the dog?

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes the poison is poison. The question is dosage. It takes a lot more poison to kill a dog than a mouse. So unless your dog is very small, the amount of poison needed to kill a mouse should do no noticable damage . . . not that it will do any good . . . and not that eating a dozen poisoned mice would be a good thing. At least that's what our local exterminator -- who also breeds Rottis -- told me.

Edited by sandgrubber

A friend of mine lost her Jack Russell several years ago after he had eaten mice that had been killed using Ratsak. She took him to her local vet who had never heard of secondary poisoning. She was then sent to another veterinary hospital who had definitely heard of it. They recommended that she took him to Werribee where she was assured that it was only too common. After about ten days of treatment with vitamin K with no improvement and mounting vet bills , she made the decision to have him pts. Shortly after this I heard Hugh Wirth on his radio program stating that there was no danger whatsoever in pets eating poisoned mice - but then I don't suppose many people here would have had much respect for his opinion.

My old dog nearly died when he ate a dead mouse that had been poisoned, poor boy had to get his stomach pumped and it was done only just in the nick of time. The vet said it was lucky we brought him in straight away, a few minuites longer and he would have been dead. (he was a jack russell)

Edited by Jimmay

It would worry me.

Our cat was poisoned a few years back. The vet thought that he has most likely eaten a rat which had been bated with Ratsack.

He came out of it okay after a night at the vets having his stomach pumped but it was NOT a nice experience :(

I hear you! The field mice and rats used to get in here and wreak havoc, until another allbreeds forum put me on to ulstrasonic repellers. :thumbsup:

I understand there are a lot of shoddy brands out there that don't work but I can vouch for this one: the PestContro 4000 I have not seen a mouse or rat or evidence of any since a week after I plugged it in! (except those lovingly deposited by the Boss Cat :cheer: )

The silverfish population has not been affected much although other creepy crawlies are definitely MIA :) .

I've never met anyone who had had to pay the RRP of approx $120 there are heaps of good deals if you keep an eye out.

PC4000.jpg

So don't need to use poison here anymore.

rural pug - do you find that they affect your pets at all?

just did a search and deals direct are selling 6 x 'pest contro 3000' for $60 plus postage!

Just went and had a look and they are out of stock, I have left a 'please notify me'. Is anyone interested in one if I manage to get 6? I would want to keep 2 so would have 4 available.

No effect on the cat & dogs - in fact my most recent addition, a foster (failure) Puglad thought it was another chew toy until I moved it out of his reach! :laugh:

Can't speak for rabbits/hamsters/guinea pigs etc. and I would think it fairly obvious that if you had pet rats/mice this would not be a good thing.

I have no idea how effective the 1000, 2000, 3000 etc models are as I only have the 4000 - it's great!

EFS.

Edited by RuralPug

just did a search and deals direct are selling 6 x 'pest contro 3000' for $60 plus postage!

Just went and had a look and they are out of stock, I have left a 'please notify me'. Is anyone interested in one if I manage to get 6? I would want to keep 2 so would have 4 available.

I would :laugh: How much would you want for one?

Yes even licking a "baited" vermin such as a mouse can cause death if Vet treatment sought asap.

A Vet needs to perform what s called an"activated clotting test'(blood test). A normal clotting time is 95 seconds.

I have had first hand experience with this some years ago when one of our dogs presented a dead mouse to us at the back door.

No puncture wounds on the dead mouse but called Vet who said to bring dog in for blood test. ACT time was 110 seconds so had to take the dog back 2 days later for Vet to take blood from the jugular vein.

:) Activated clotting time was 180 seconds and dog was immediately commenced on Vitamin K twice a day for 3 weeks.(If this Vet had not been vigilant our dog woud have died).After the three weeks were up the dog had to go back to have another blood test, phew ACT was back to 95 seconds.

Vet explained that when a rodent etc has been baited and dies the residue seeps through to the outer skin so even licked a baited rodent can be fatal.

No baits of any kind have been used in our house( rodent came from a neighbouring property that was not occupied so had Health Inspector out and he ordered major clean up on that property) and they never will be.

My vet explained that the rodent consumes the bait, it is digested and by the time the animal dies it has well and truly passed through it's system. They do not die from licking a poisoned rodent.

To die from a bait that has no secondary kill, the dog would have to catch a rat or mouse that has just eaten the bait, not one that is already dead or dying.