Hydration While Running

Marnifer

Hi all,

I'm currently at the start of a training schedule for an Olympic Distance triathlon. I walk my 14 month old lab each day, usually about 2.5 - 3km.

In the last week or so, I have started taking her with me on my morning runs a couple of times a week. Now, I carry a water bottle with me for my own use but I'm sure she would really like to have a drink as well. So far i have been dribbling a bit out of the bottle for her to lap at but i don't think she really gets all that much.

Does anyone else know of a good collapsible bowl or similar that would be easy to carry whilst running but would be big enough for her to drink out of?

Thanks

Marnifer

I have a Windchill collapsible bowl. It's made of material and folds up really small and you can clip it on to your belt or whatever.

http://www.windchill.com.au/walking_belt.htm (Scroll down the page)

THere's a few different ones on the market if you do a google search - not all have clips tho.

A friend got one from Chicken Feed (Tassies 2 dollar shop) for next to nothing but it doesn't have a clip to attach it to anything. WOuld probably fit in your pocket tho.

lectade is product i know of for the dogs its like our gatorade.....I use to do olympic distance tri's. do endurance mountain biking now..... I take my dogs running of a morning nothing harsh tho its too hot...i go around 5.30 cross country any later in the day i dont run them i just walk them. I dont need to drink when i run for only an hour as im used to it, so i mix theirs up in my camelback and they hydrate whenever they want

Edited by sandra64

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I'll check them out over the next day or so.

It's only really been the last week or 10 days that i have started training and up until the weekend, it wasn't really hot - especially during the early morning or evening when we are walking/running. I only run three times each week as well.

By way of disclaimer, when I say I go running, any serious runner would scoff at me if they saw the pace I run at. Since i have started, I haven't been faster than an average of 8.5km/h over a max distance of 5.5km. Given that we walk at about a 5.5 or 6km/h pace, it's not currently that much more strenuous for her (or me).

persephone - I alwys keep an eye on her weight and height and she hasn't changed at all really in the last 3 months or so. I know that they are not supposed to participate in any exercise up until they are 12 months old and I was very mindful of that - I didn't even take her walking - but I thought labs were Ok after 1 year...

Feel free to advise otherwise. i definitely don't want to cause any long term damage...

Edited by Marnifer

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I'll check them out over the next day or so.

It's only really been the last week or 10 days that i have started training and up until the weekend, it wasn't really hot - especially during the early morning or evening when we are walking/running. I only run three times each week as well.

By way of disclaimer, when I say I go running, any serious runner would scoff at me if they saw the pace I run at. Since i have started, I haven't been faster than an average of 8.5km/h over a max distance of 5.5km. Given that we walk at about a 5.5 or 6km/h pace, it's not currently that much more strenuous for her (or me).

persephone - I alwys keep an eye on her weight and height and she hasn't changed at all really in the last 3 months or so. I know that they are not supposed to participate in any exercise up until they are 12 months old and I was very mindful of that - I didn't even take her walking - but I thought labs were Ok after 1 year...

Hey marnifer, we all start somewhere. I can remember my 1st 1/2 marathon, thougth this is shit, but ended up doing 5 of them in a couple of years so it must be like childbirth you forget!!!!!!!!! on the offroad series we have xterrain races, its the fun side of triathlon, you swim in a dirty dam or river, you mountain bike and then X country run....it breaks up the boredom of concrete and bitumen.....Good luck with your training...Dont worry tooo much, Its many years since i used to do them, but can remember sitting in the gutter at mooloolaba one year eating pizza the night before..that and guiness beer gives you heaps of energy:-)

LOL at her age it would be easy to get her to drink from a 'pop top' type bottle.

All my dogs can drink from a pop top type bottle and I can fill them up at any park or servo etc.

The water doesn't pour out in a gush like a normal bottle but rather a smaller slower stream, which is easy to 'adjust' depending on how much air is in the bottle or how hard you squeeze it.