People Who Are Scared Of Dogs

huski

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

huski

Do you want to make this woman stop? Or do you just want to keep your dog safe?

If you want to make the woman stop, IANAL but I am sure she is acting illegally by threatening you with the weapon, you need to collect evidence for the Police. From a safe distance as soon as she raises the pole - photograph her with your phone (or whatever camera you have available). Then protect your dog. Keep a log of the date and time and description of every time the woman raises her pole threateningly at you. Take someone with you for the times you're likely to encounter her, as an extra witness and photographer.

I find people who really are freaked out by dogs find dogs non-threatening when upside down. A dog can't launch an attack (at least as far as they know) when the paws are in the air. But this leaves you very vulnerable. Given this woman has managed to pass you without hitting you or the dog despite her fear, I hope you'd be ok if you do roll your dog over and then huddle over the dog protectively between the dog and the woman. If she hits you with the pole, she's in HUGE trouble if you decide to press charges. But you really need to want to make her stop.

If you do get the police to come out, they can organise an interpreter for her, and organise her some help with desensitization, and let her know threatening people is not ok in Australia.

Thanks everyone for all the recent comments :banghead:

I have been planning to avoid her as best we can but haven't actually seen her the last few times we've been out walking (which hasn't been as much lately as we have been focusing on training).

Next time I see her and can't avoid walking past her, I will walk as far off the path as possible, and put Daisy in a down/stay so she looks as non-threatening and as under control as possible. I don't think I can do any more than that and it's more than most dog owners around here would do.

After speaking to the council (see previous posts) they did say that it is more a police matter and if I do have a run in with her where she raises the pole again I will ring the cops and have a chat about it.

Who would be to blame if she walked past a friendly dog who tried to sniff her or got too close to her (without touching her) and she hit it?

Probably you I would not be surprised. Dog laws are a joke. Alot of bylaws state that if a dog causes someone to be afraid, then thats considered an attack. Yes it can be applied in an extremely irrational manner at times you better believe it.

The police are not likely to take any interest in this. I would suggest you speak to her (without your dog present) and see if you can sort something out. Like another poster has stated, its true that people like that dont care how under control or friendly your dog is the phobia is far beyond that, I have known a person like that before, a friend. The angle you need to take is to explain that whether or not she is afraid of the dog, its your right to walk it and she's not to raise a weapon toward you again. Trying to explain that the dog is friendly will be a waste of breath.

typo

Edited by Lo Pan

Probably you I would not be surprised. Dog laws are a joke. Alot of bylaws state that if a dog causes someone to be afraid, then thats considered an attack. Yes it can be applied in an extremely irrational manner at times you better believe it.

I called my council to check where I stand and they said the dog has to be acting aggressively for them to take action. They said if my dog is friendly, and leashed, that the woman would be in the wrong.

The police are not likely to take any interest in this. I would suggest you speak to her (without your dog present) and see if you can sort something out. Like another poster has stated, its true that people like that dont care how under control or friendly your dog is the phobia is far beyond that, I have known a person like that before, a friend. The angle you need to take is to explain that whether or not she is afraid of the dog, its your right to walk it and she's not to raise a weapon toward you again. Trying to explain that the dog is friendly will be a waste of breath.

She doesn't speak English so unfortunately having a chat to her is not possible (been mentioned a few times in the thread but it is a few pages long :banghead:).

Fair enough lol yes it is a long thread I was lazy what can you do :banghead:

Keep in mind in the event of an incident the women will not come out and say "the dog did nothing wrong, I lashed out becuase im irrational and neurotic" she will say "the dog lept toward me and tried to bite me and thats when I hit it".

poochmad

If you'd read the whole thread you'd know that

1. the woman doesn't speak English

2. the road is too busy to cross.

Um...I did read the whole thread. I was talking about seeing whether the discussion could occur without the dog.

Huski - what about just picking Daisy up if you go past?

I know, I had a serious phobia until about 6 years ago- every time I saw a dog I had to cross the street, hhide behind furniture, even run the other way - and yes, I was fully aware that running away would potentially send a dog running after me, but that did not enter the equation whenn I was face to face with a dog - it's irrational, but that is what a phobia is...

I hope this isnt too offtopic but, how did you fix your phobia?

My daughter sounds exactly the same (except with our dog) and I want to help her before she gets worse. Any advice?

I'm not quite sure, but I do know that Gomez is the only dog that I completely feel at ease with - I don't tend to pat other people's dogs - I can't really explain it, sorry, like I said, it's an irrational fear

Poochmad, once again, it doesn't matter how uber cute Daisy is, or how sweet she looks, if you're afraid of dogs, Daisy, and any other dog, looks like a monster to you, it doesn't matter if they are big or small, black or red or white, shaggy or groomed... etc etc...

I'd be inclined to bark at her as soon as she was approaching, see if you can out 'crazy lady' her and she if she will leave you alone :cry: :D

Awesome, take a person that has a phobia of dogs and BARK at them... that's terrific... you are such a compassionate being! Just because she is afraid of dogs that does not make her a 'crazy lady'

Aussie3, why is it "out of hand" for your neighbours to be afraid of dogs? Because you are not?

Huski, as for trying to speak with her and trying to convince her that your dog is friendly/well behaved/non-aggressive etc... that is just a waste of breath and time, even if she spoke English - if you have a dog phobia you don't care how nice the dog is, who the owner is, if they are trained, if the sit, if they drop, even if they are on a leash - I know, I had a serious phobia until about 6 years ago- every time I saw a dog I had to cross the street, hhide behind furniture, even run the other way - and yes, I was fully aware that running away would potentially send a dog running after me, but that did not enter the equation whenn I was face to face with a dog - it's irrational, but that is what a phobia is...

Agree - when I was about 15 I actually ran into on-coming traffic on a busy road to avoid a dog. The lack of compassion of some people is a real eye opener.

Huski - If things continue and you have to go past this woman to get to the park, why not just drive there instead, thereby reducing the risk to both you and Daisy? That is what I do with my two (no crazy lady, just a dog that roams on teh way to the park). I feel silly for doing it, but it is my job to protect my dgos and it is a minor inconvenience in the scheme of things.

What a sad thread :thumbsup:

MHO is she doesn't have a phobia of dogs but has a mental illness. I just can't see a sane person with a severe phobia of dogs walking the streets where she knows there are dogs, getting close enough to nearly touch them then at the last minute freaking out, as someone who has a phobia stated earlier in this thread the moment they spotted a dog they did everything in their powers to avoid a confrontation.

If she has a mental illness, I really doubt anything you do is going to make much difference. I would contact the council and police and see what the have to say.

On the other hand you have every right to walk your dog without being intimidated by people wielding metal poles, still I would avoid her at all costs.

Nothing to add to this topic but..

Just wanted to say, Daisy is georgous.. what a colour.. never seen one that colour before.. what a cutie...

Thanks :rofl: She's a tan and white beagle. I think they are relatively common (about one in four) but pet owners tend to want tris more so you don't see them around as much.

She's certainly very "special" :thumbsup:

Huski - If things continue and you have to go past this woman to get to the park, why not just drive there instead, thereby reducing the risk to both you and Daisy? That is what I do with my two (no crazy lady, just a dog that roams on teh way to the park). I feel silly for doing it, but it is my job to protect my dgos and it is a minor inconvenience in the scheme of things.

I have been driving Daisy to training lately, but I'd still like to be able to walk the dogs down the park for our own benefit (fitness wise).

Haven't seen her lately so fingers crossed we continue to walk at different times.

I'd be inclined to bark at her as soon as she was approaching, see if you can out 'crazy lady' her and she if she will leave you alone :offtopic: ;)

Awesome, take a person that has a phobia of dogs and BARK at them... that's terrific... you are such a compassionate being! Just because she is afraid of dogs that does not make her a 'crazy lady'

Aussie3, why is it "out of hand" for your neighbours to be afraid of dogs? Because you are not?

I was referring to the woman huski was talking about, and the fact she carries a pole. I understand people can be scared of dogs, but I think it's out of hand to raise metal poles at them

• 4 weeks later...
Sorry for bringing this thread back up, but has anything been resolved yet?

Nope - I haven't run into her lately. I saw her when I was in my car the other night with her big metal pole in hand but so far our paths haven't crossed! Fingers crossed it stays that way.

i bet the council workers know of her and will know where she lives. her behaviour is not within the "normal" bounds so i suspect there is more going on than just a fear of dogs

Yes and once hysteria or a phobia sets in, it will take professional help..........they are often not able to be reasoned with.