Pet Safe Kennel Runs

~JoLu~

OH and I are considering options to contain the dogs when we move to our acerage. Initially the run will be only temporary - once the house is built we will have a properly fenced, secure house yard for the dogs.

I have been looking at the PetSafe kennel runs (These Ones) but they looked a little flimsy when I watched the video on how to erect them.

Does anyone have them??? Are they sturdier than they look - or is there a way to reinforce them????

Or does anyone know of any similar product on the market, albeit a little more sturdy???

I would probably need to buy at least two (I think), as the dogs will be in the run during work hours.

Cheers :eat:

I purchased two of them a few years ago as I bought acreage that had no fencing. I was advised that one person could easily construct it.. they LIED.

It took me two days to construct one as the wire is delivered in a roll but the way they secure it means that when you unroll it the wire starts to unravel.

Initially I thought it was just me but I recently had a builder friend construct the second one for me... he had the same trouble and it took him two days to construct that one too. The little metal hook things they provide to secure the mesh to the frame are USELESS and the door latch is not reliable as the dogs can jiggle the run (even on concrete) and get the latch to disengage.

We've got one of the larger PetSafe runs, and so far it has managed to keep our escape-artist Sibe contained - so they can't be that bad :rofl: Admittedly we did add a layer of mesh pegged into the ground to stop any attempts at digging out. But they are a decent run and not too flimsy. Bloody pain in the arse to put together though :eat:

Right, so PITA constuction wise - check :rofl:

Good tip about the layer of mesh Miss B - although the ground out there is pretty hard, so good luck to Lu trying to dig craters out there :mad

Whatever we put up, I'm thinking of combining it with ping string or other electronic containment as backup :eat:.

Hi,

I purchased two of these - they are a bit tricky to put up (two people recommended) and I got a roll of wire from Bunnings to secure rather than the secures provided.

I use wire to secure the latch when the dogs are in just in case but mine have housed Bull Terriers who are brilliant escape artists without an issue.

To be honest though, if I had the time again, I believe that some second hand weldmesh fence panels wired up to star pickets are a great, sturdy temporary option, may be cheaper and probably just as easy to put up as these runs.

Hope it helps.

Cheers.

Hmm they are starting to sound difficult :o

NFS runs can be as big as you like and they are extremely sturdy and very quick to put together. They will freight them anywhere (Im in Broken Hill).

They have a distributor here in WA - I might have a chat with them. Thanks for that :)

I got the large Petsafe enclosure shipped interstate. It wasn't too hard to put up (I'm far from a Ms FixItUpFantastically), just needed a hand with the chain fencing.

In my experience, you could assemble it with cheaper materials and the chain fencing is better off substituted with something sturdier with much smaller gaps to prevent chewing or pulling- like the Carrington ones. I bought the enclosure for my pound hound who was jumping the front gate.

It turned into a game of one-up-manship.

• He went under the run, I closed it up.
  • He went through the run by pulling it apart insistently, I had to twist the wire back into place.
  • He went over the 1.8m high run, I plonked chickenwire on top.
  • He managed to scale the walls, work his head through the chicken wire and still went over the run, I tied heavy wooden lattices and shadecloth over it.

In the end, a behaviouralist worked out that he didn't have separation anxiety but was excited by what was going on in the backyard. I got someone to panel the interior with colourbond so he couldn't see or scale it. Now he barks a lot if we can't sneak out without him noticing and the run is a three sided Azkaban. I've lost count of the score or who's won. Sigh.

You may not encounter that extreme scenario, but just in case, I would recommend you explore more secure models and maybe have a look at the materials at the hardware store for a DIY job. If you go with PetSafe, you can bid for an enclosure on eBay, that knocks a couple of hundred dollars off the RRP. But in my case, that bargain wasn't anything special after I installed colourbond. :)

End of story! :o

Edited by Ms Genki

:D that's quite a tale Ms Genki :o:)

I've had one go under here (colorbond fence) but none over - yet :cheers:

We would prefer something with a roof, and a floor, and a SAS trained security detail :):)

I might try some of the rural/farm supply places near our block and see what they can offer :)

Hmmm - I must be the odd one out - I have four square ones and two large rectangular ones. I put them all up myself - I only weigh 48kgs.

The first one is the hardest until you get the hang of it - then it should only take you about an hour for the frame and maybe 1-2 hours for the mesh - assuming you want to wire up the whole thing top and bottom.

We have the chooks in one of the large rectangular ones to keep foxes and such out. 100% sucess so far. I figure if it is meant to keep dogs in - it should keep foxes out.

You do end up with black hands (from the metal dust on the metal bits) and you get a good work out, but seriously, if I can do it - anyone can. You just need to follow the instructions and have a system going. The less helpers the better ha ha ha.

I absoloutly love mine!!

They also have mesh roofs you can put on. I bought one and loved it so much I have roofs on all 6 now.

Colliehound

NFS runs can be as big as you like and they are extremely sturdy and very quick to put together. They will freight them anywhere (Im in Broken Hill).

I second that, I love my NFS run. Great quality, I put it up myself in 15mins. Very adaptable too. Mine is 6'X 8' but has 2 doors on one side so if I need two 6' x 4' runs I can just add 1 panel.

Caz :)