Bow Wow Has Been Diagnosed With A Heart Murmur

Bow Wow

As topic says, today I took bow wow to the vets because last night she seemed to be hacking and coughing alot. At first I thought tick, so went over her with a fine tooth comb, thought I found one in her ear, but it turned out to be a wax build up.

So took her to the vets this morning and the vet checked her heart and said, you know she has a heart murmer? I said no... :love:

So the vet took bow wow over to her other practice and did an xray and ekg and gave bow wow a diuretic intramuscle.

Just had a phone call to say that the xray confirms that bowwows left side of her heart is enlarged and that her right side is slightly enlarged.

She said that bow wow is acting normally and that I can come and pick her up at 4pm :(

Bow wow will go on medication for the rest of her life, but she is 12 now. What I want to know has anyone had a dog at this age, that has had to go on medication and how long did the dog live for?

I have just recently lost Bindi, now I am faced with losing bow wow :confused::rofl:

Thank you for the positive replies. :mad

When I went to pick bow wow up this afternoon, the vet herself said that she classed it as a 4 grade murmur. She was happy with how bow wow was within herself so this is why she let us take her home instead of staying overnight.

Bow wow is on Frudix to reduce the fluids and is on Vedmentin.

I am more positive now, I think I was just in shock before. She is very quiet tonight but that is to be expected.

Thanks again guys for the positive feedback and well wishes. :happydance2:

Thank you for the positive replies. :rofl:

When I went to pick bow wow up this afternoon, the vet herself said that she classed it as a 4 grade murmur. She was happy with how bow wow was within herself so this is why she let us take her home instead of staying overnight.

Bow wow is on Frudix to reduce the fluids and is on Vedmentin.

I am more positive now, I think I was just in shock before. She is very quiet tonight but that is to be expected.

Thanks again guys for the positive feedback and well wishes. :(

Sorry to hear about Bow Wow. I lost Jessie, my Bull Terrier to Dilated Cardiomyopathy in 2005. The vets gave her a prognosis of "6 months, 12 if she's lucky". Jessie astounded them and made it to 3 years and died at almost 12.5 years. Jessie was on Vetmedin as well as diuretics (lasix and spironolactone) and digoxin. I fed Jessie a BARF diet so reducing salt in her diet wasn't a problem. I also had her on lots of vitamins and supplements such as Co Enzyme Q10, Hawthorn, Fish Oil, Magnesium and Vitamins A, C and E plus a few others that I can't think of at the moment.

I was also on a couple of yahoo email Lists - caninehearthealth and caninecongestiveheartfailure which I received lots of support and information from.

Best wishes for you and Bow Wow :thumbsup: