Dyed Poodles In China

sandgrubber

We saw dogs available for meat on a market sale in China on holiday there, totally different mind set to Western culture. Do not agree with it, but do accept that Eastern culture has a different perspective on 'food'. We also breed Horses and do not see them as a food source, yet those are also common food sources in many European culutres as well.

Could not come a vegetarian myself, I am very fond of beef/chicken. But I have also have had pet calves so the issues has many shades of grey for me.

Kayann

Hmm, not really my cup of tea but I guess if it's not harming the dogs and is bringing enjoyment to both the dogs and their owners then whatever floats your boat... I guess at least it requires a little bit of skill, rather than just dressing your dog up in a silly shirt and shoes (ie 'humanising' a dog).

For those that were interested on the dog ownership laws in Beijing:

In the city, only one dog is allowed per household and the dog can’t be taller than 35 cm at the shoulder (except guide dogs). All pet dogs have to be registered at the local police station and you need a dog-keeping permit from the neighbourhood committee (you need your passport, residence permit/Chinese ID if a local and two passport-sized photos of your dog from the front). Registration entitles you to free annual checkups and vaccinations at the hospital, where a Health and Immunity Certificate is issued and required for re-registration every year

The rules are relaxed and the registration fees are cheaper if you live in outer Beijing – I’m pretty sure that you’re allowed bigger dogs out here too.

Clyde - I'm of the same opinion, at least the animals are being well cared for

hrm.. I'll have to ask my friend who just moved back to China what the deal is with owning pet dogs over there -- you have to have a license to own a bicycle in the city so I wonder what they do for dogs...

Dogs definitely need to be registered and it costs an insane amount to do so. I'm not sure about the other cities but I know that in Shanghai dogs are not allowed in any parks and the only dog park is probably an hour drive or so away from the city (so more suburbia).

The thing is that the general population in China are very ill-informed of proper dog care and definitely would have no idea about puppy mills etc etc. Most people who own dogs do love them but would never do stuff like agility, puppy socialization classes etc etc, mainly because they don't know any better. And that applies also to things like registered breeders and puppy mills (I'm not even sure there would be any formal association for dog breeding over there). I'm also sure that a lot of dog owners use force to discipline behavioral problems, which I guess you could say is "cruelty", however you have to understand that the same applies to parents disciplining their children. "Grounding" is a foreign concept and if a child is bad then they would get a beating. It's not seen to be cruel - using force is seen as a "good thing", and a child getting hit by their parents is a very normal act. It's just culturally different there to here and that applies to things like dog being on the menu etc.

It kind of gets me agitated when people write off a whole country or race JUST because of an issue that is socially ingrained and different to what they're used to. We eat beef and to some cultures that is seen to be the most vile act. And also we love our pork products and pigs are about 10 times smarter then dogs are and are often kept as pets themselves. It's a mentality thing - we as Australian "see" dogs as part of the family, so when we hear about dogs being a dish in other countries we get riled up and all "how dare they!". However the majority of australians do not see pigs as pets, only as livestock so we have no qualms about eating the product. It's the same in other countries - in places like India and certain parts of Asia dogs are not seen as pets but as pests and strays that spread disease.

It's not just a cultural difference though, the raising and transport of dogs for the meat industry over there isn't just a matter of doing things differently it's cruelty, dogs crammed into cages for transport with cut tin cans over their muzzles to stop them fighting, being skinned without being killed properly first. We eat beef but at least we acknowledge animal welfare and have legislation which outlines what is acceptable and what is not, China has only just recently addressed the lack of anything even remotely resembling prevention of cruelty laws, I'm not writing them off I'm saying their animal welfare standards are extremely poor and that is not related to cultural differences. http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2009/jun/1...mal-welfare-law

Some of their practices are entirely too barbaric for my tastes. Each to their own but if I was a breeder I don't think I would send my puppies over there.

The coloured poodles were gorgeous as only a poodle can be ;) They were beautifully groomed and the colours so vivid.

I'm with you clyde - some of the half wits that bring their matted messes into our shop could certainly take a leaf out of their book!