Desexing Info

PuggaWuggles

The patient is home. Tim(my vet) said he was a very good boy....I had to say sorry to him about a thousand times.......Think my vet was more upset than anyone, as he was hoping i would have pups from my girl and Jones(my boy):-) he recons he was first on the list......My boy is asleep on the lounge at the moment. Hope everything has or will go smoothly for everyone...I still feel terrible though

Edited by sandra64

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

She is home. Very wobbly and staggers when she tries to get up, which she tries to do every time someone comes to the door. Tail wagging between sleeps so good sign. Already trying to lick stitches when she wakes, have collar but friend gave me some dimethyl will try that first. Me feeling very guilty too. :rofl: Can see a long night coming up.

Our boy was done yesterday, he has a elizabethan collar as he was picking at the sutures and vet prescribed metacam for a week. He was pretty sleepy yesterday and whined on and off during the night, poor boy. He woke up full of beans this morning and launched himself off the pergola :( . He spent most of the day in the run in an attempt to keep him calm, but whenever i went in there, he went nuts and just wanted to play. Trying to keep him settled and not ripping off the collar is proving the most difficult part.

He's finally sound asleep in his crate :)

The kids were upset to see him in pain yesterday and made him get well cards ;)

She is home. Very wobbly and staggers when she tries to get up, which she tries to do every time someone comes to the door. Tail wagging between sleeps so good sign. Already trying to lick stitches when she wakes, have collar but friend gave me some dimethyl will try that first. Me feeling very guilty too. ;) Can see a long night coming up.

We had a rough time with Sally when she was desexed, she is a bit of a sooky la la but other than that we went with a new vet that had been recommended by a family friend rather than our regular vet as this one was closer.

she was only at the vet for just over an hour before they called us to pick her up. she was so wonky still she couldnt even walk 2 steps. we werent given any pain meds or anti biotics. the wound seemed inflamed and we called 3 or 4 times and each time they said she was just being sooky and yto put cold tea on it or savlon and there was no need to come in.

ended up taking her to our regualr vet and discovered she had developed vaginitis and it was so bad they almost had to open her up again.

the guilt i felt was immeasureable.

suffice to say, bert is being done at our regular vet.

glad everyone's pups are doing well, fingers crossed for bert on monday! :)

Our boy was done yesterday, he has a elizabethan collar as he was picking at the sutures and vet prescribed metacam for a week. He was pretty sleepy yesterday and whined on and off during the night, poor boy. He woke up full of beans this morning and launched himself off the pergola :( . He spent most of the day in the run in an attempt to keep him calm, but whenever i went in there, he went nuts and just wanted to play. Trying to keep him settled and not ripping off the collar is proving the most difficult part.

He's finally sound asleep in his crate :)

The kids were upset to see him in pain yesterday and made him get well cards ;)

naaaaaaaaaaawwwhhh how cute from the kids...My vet said knowing my boy, he will be looking for his lead 2moro arv to go for a walk:-)

She is home. Very wobbly and staggers when she tries to get up, which she tries to do every time someone comes to the door. Tail wagging between sleeps so good sign. Already trying to lick stitches when she wakes, have collar but friend gave me some dimethyl will try that first. Me feeling very guilty too. ;) Can see a long night coming up.

We had a rough time with Sally when she was desexed, she is a bit of a sooky la la but other than that we went with a new vet that had been recommended by a family friend rather than our regular vet as this one was closer.

she was only at the vet for just over an hour before they called us to pick her up. she was so wonky still she couldnt even walk 2 steps. we werent given any pain meds or anti biotics. the wound seemed inflamed and we called 3 or 4 times and each time they said she was just being sooky and yto put cold tea on it or savlon and there was no need to come in.

ended up taking her to our regualr vet and discovered she had developed vaginitis and it was so bad they almost had to open her up again.

the guilt i felt was immeasureable.

suffice to say, bert is being done at our regular vet.

glad everyone's pups are doing well, fingers crossed for bert on monday! :)

GOOD LUCK BERT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!hope all goes well. Don't you hate that when you think your doing the right thing by going to someone who you think maybe better, and its goes to pack.......

I know it's fairly normal for the scrotum to swell after surgery, but when can we expect it to start reducing in size? It's been two days since his surgery.

Also, as mentioned above, he is wearing an elizabethan collar which the vet advised to leave on him until the sutures are removed in ten days. Would it be ok to remove the collar in say another three or four days once he is pain free and less likely to lick/pick the sutures? He seems pretty uncomfortable in the collar and looks really silly :laugh:

Hope everyones babies are doing well. Took her about 6 hours to wake up properly last night, but all seems to be well with Marlin this morning, spent the night on the end of the bed, stretched out on her back airing the wound :laugh: Was licking a bit but I think the shaving rash is bothering her more than the wound so doused her with anti itch/rash powder, eyes are bright and was pestering to play, gave her the pain meds no problem. I am at work so left OH with lots of instructions on do's and dont's.

Good luck to all with operations planned.

Thanks so much to everyone for the support, it is much appreciated.

I know it's fairly normal for the scrotum to swell after surgery, but when can we expect it to start reducing in size? It's been two days since his surgery.

Also, as mentioned above, he is wearing an elizabethan collar which the vet advised to leave on him until the sutures are removed in ten days. Would it be ok to remove the collar in say another three or four days once he is pain free and less likely to lick/pick the sutures? He seems pretty uncomfortable in the collar and looks really silly :laugh:

TYLER23, i brought a collar home with Jones just in case, but he's been pretty good...He's licked the area a little, but hasnt picked at the stitches. He went for a walk this morning up the road,he's been really good, until he jumped in the cow trough to swim, so i had to wash the area and sterilise it(was pretty clean water,but!!!!!!!!!!)...If your home, i would give him a go and see what he does, you may like to put it on him at night when you cant watch him, but i just told jones to " leave " when he'd lick it and after about ten times he wasnt interested too much

I hope everyones pups are doing well.

Wuggles went in on Friday,got a call in the arvo from the vet,they opened him up and his balls had not dropped yet,what they felt was some sort of fat sack,i am not happy at all,so we have to go through it all again in 3-4 months.He was a little bit sore but is ok now.

What a waste of time,money and effort,as we took days off to be with him,still had to pay 1/2 the price,and he has to go through it all agian.No bodys fault i guess,i just feel so bad and guilty.

And more bad news,Wuggles has an Elongated soft pallet,so we are going to get that operated on at the same time he gets desexed,AGAIN.

Why is nothing ever simple,and everything always seems to go wrong with us.

Does anyone have any experience with elongated soft pallets at all?

Anyway,i hope everyone is doing well after their op,i hope you had more luck than me.

Pugga don't stress too much. You may find that he will grow into his elongated palette. Shar pei have similar issues and often as they mature their palettes self correct. I do hope this is the case for your bub.

Pugga don't stress too much. You may find that he will grow into his elongated palette. Shar pei have similar issues and often as they mature their palettes self correct. I do hope this is the case for your bub.

Thanks Ams,How long should i wait to see weather he grows into his elongated pallet?Or is it safer to get it operated on in 3-4 months time,will i just leave it up to the vet when we take him back?

Thanks Ams,How long should i wait to see weather he grows into his elongated pallet?Or is it safer to get it operated on in 3-4 months time,will i just leave it up to the vet when we take him back?

If the vet recommends it gets done, i would trust that advice - it's not something you want to delay too long, really, if the vet feels it is nessassary to get it done. I have not known or heard of them to self-correct, and have actually seen them done more commonly in older dogs - as in, they've been there all along, but cause problems in the grown dog - so i would get it done as a precaution if he's going to be going under GA anyway...

Did the vets say as to why they didn't just go in and get them- yes it is more of an invasive surgery, but better than having two surgeries... hmmm..

The vet told us we wont need an elizabethan collar as pugs find it difficult to reach the stiches.

;) what complete ...bulldust!! Hugo lived in an elizabethan collar for the full two weeks of stitches, i took it off multiple times to see how he'd go and the first thing he do was roll over and start to chew them out - and he could definitely reach!! We don't routinely send dogs home with collars at the clinic i work at as generally they leave them alone and the collar itself causes more stress than anything... typical i had one that had to live in it :)

Edited by Bindii

Wuggles went in on Friday,got a call in the arvo from the vet,they opened him up and his balls had not dropped yet,what they felt was some sort of fat sack,i am not happy at all,so we have to go through it all again in 3-4 months.He was a little bit sore but is ok now.

What a waste of time,money and effort,as we took days off to be with him,still had to pay 1/2 the price,and he has to go through it all agian.No bodys fault i guess,i just feel so bad and guilty.

And more bad news,Wuggles has an Elongated soft pallet,so we are going to get that operated on at the same time he gets desexed,AGAIN.

Anyway,i hope everyone is doing well after their op,i hope you had more luck than me.

Sorry, but I don't understand this at all. :) What makes the vet thinks the testicles will drop in another 3 or 4 months? If they are not down now they may never be down and if they are not down it is all the more reason to remove them. I have never heard of a vet doing this. They usually just make a bigger incision, find the testicles and remove them.

Anybody else ever heard of a vet doing this?

Sorry, but I don't understand this at all. :) What makes the vet thinks the testicles will drop in another 3 or 4 months? If they are not down now they may never be down and if they are not down it is all the more reason to remove them. I have never heard of a vet doing this. They usually just make a bigger incision, find the testicles and remove them.

Must admit to wondering why the vet did not search for, and remove testes then & there - now poor pup has to have another anaesthetic and a bigger op....

just a thought- if there is already a fat deposit in the scrotum.. sounds as if the body has made its decision.... no balls in the ballroom ;) just my thoughts, and probably wrong!

Edited by persephone

We asked the same questions.We were told that they will hopefully drop in 3-4 months,the Vet(who was not our regular,same clinic,but we were not told that our regular vet was not there)said that he did not want to open up the abdominal cavity to find the testies,he said he has seen pugs whos testies have not dropped even when a year old.But the thing is,the Vet nurse told us that it was a certain cost if the testies had dropped,and a bigger cost if they had not,so why give us the 2 prices and not do either.

Its not the money that gets me,its the discomfort and trauma that Wugs went through,only to have to go through it all again.I just wanted him to be desexed,weather they had dropped or not.

Any one have any ideas why they would not just find the testies and remove them ?

Sorry, but I find that wrong. Wuggles was already under GA so they should have just gone ahead and found them. It's possible they may never drop, so when you go back he may have to have the same op done anyway. Doesn't make sense to me, particularly if the vet himself said he's seen Pugs at 12months who's testes haven't dropped?!

If I were you, when you do go back to have it done, I would expect to have the amount you paid for this time around, deducted off the final price of the second op.

They should have called you when they had him knocked out on the table to ask what you preferred to do, rather than just call you in the afternoon telling you what they decided.

I would much rather get a male done than a female. Our last male dog didn't even have stitches which surprised me. The insision was pressed together or would it have been glued? Anyway, Tilba was a nightmare to have done. The stitch line had a couple of creases in them & she wouldn't leave them alone, so had to wear the Eliz collar the whole time until the stitches dissolved. She came home on anti-biotics because of a pimply rash but no pain meds. I have heard this because if they have pain meds they think they are not sore & will run around all the more which is not good for their recovery.

A couple of months later she had a blood spot in the middle of the incission line. I didn't know what it was & pulled it off & it blead again. About another 6 mths down the track & the incission looks fine.